Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:50 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times

Advertisements

Yes, some of the smartest people don't have degrees.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You can be knowledgeable without college level courses. And you can have taken college level courses and not be particularly knowledgeable.

So, sure, why not? A college degree does not make you smart, nor does it endow you with the kind of leadership skills that you need to be a successful President of the United States.
Some of the smartest people I know do not have a degree.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:53 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I wouldn't. If, according to so many posters here, college grads are dumb, what the hell does that say about the dummies who were too lazy or too stupid to get one or even try to get one?
Well, there are all kinds of factors in people not getting one, and usually it's not laziness or stupidity. It could be economic, or perhaps the chosen field doesn't require a degree and that person got a good job and life just happens.

According to the article, Scott Walker got a job at Red Cross and intended to go back someday, but ended up getting married, then kids, then he got successful and just never went back. He accomplished more post-college than a lot of people who only did things to further their political careers. If he had a four-year degree, the Washington Post would be complaining that he only had a bachelor's degree, or that it wasn't from an Ivy League school. It's just to throw some mud at the guy and see what sticks. If this is the worst they can come up with (he was always late for French class!), then I'd say he'll be okay.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm sorry but that's just silly. I'm not college educated, but I've travelled all over the world at the top of my profession. I'm one of 5% of women in my field.

I went straight out of high school and into my job, and learned my art from some very notable people in my business.

Do you know who George Martin is?

He doesn't think I'm a "dummy". Nor lazy, or stupid.
Okay, now the burning question is what do you do? Are you a writer or a recording artist? I googled George Martin just to see if there were others besides the Game of Thrones author, and there is a George Martin who is (was?) a record producer (worked with The Beatles).

Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
I make good money, and the only reason I got my AAS was my wife told me to. I still make upper middle class income, and last year made low 6 figures, due to travel etc, but still made it.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, there are all kinds of factors in people not getting one, and usually it's not laziness or stupidity. It could be economic, or perhaps the chosen field doesn't require a degree and that person got a good job and life just happens.

According to the article, Scott Walker got a job at Red Cross and intended to go back someday, but ended up getting married, then kids, then he got successful and just never went back. He accomplished more post-college than a lot of people who only did things to further their political careers. If he had a four-year degree, the Washington Post would be complaining that he only had a bachelor's degree, or that it wasn't from an Ivy League school. It's just to throw some mud at the guy and see what sticks. If this is the worst they can come up with (he was always late for French class!), then I'd say he'll be okay.
Also according to the article, he was many credits short of graduating after 4 years, having spent his time politicking in student government rather than doing coursework. I think that speaks poorly of his ability to delay gratification, prioritize, and manage his time. Maybe that has all changed. Maybe it hasn't. This is not someone who chose not to go to college, or who dropped out to start a company. This is someone who went, spent 4 years there, and wasn't very close to graduating and had poor grades.

He also did not leave for the Red Cross. He got a job selling warranties for IBM before going to the Red Cross.

For a candidate who won't decide whether or not he accepts evolution, a lack of education is troubling, as it goes to that candidate's willingness and ability to rationally analyze evidence.

In fact, absent some acute evidence that a candidate for President has real brains, I think the lack of a college degree disqualifies them.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah I saw Joe Scarborough and Howard Dean get in a heated debate about it.
Howard Dean is a liberal idiot. Essentially he is making fun of anyone who doesn't have a college education.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think I will. Governor Walker may have trouble being elected president for not having a degree.

Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president. - The Washington Post
Someone the colleges didn't brainwash with their liberal ideology.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Yep, LIVa/LIBs are scared...

Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think I will. Governor Walker may have trouble being elected president for not having a degree.

Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president. - The Washington Post
Obama has a degree, and has proved to be the worst administrator in recent history.

Walker has no degree (although he does have a college education) and has proved to be a very effective administrator.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have voted for Walker in any case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies