Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:15 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

False. Two of our greatest Presidents, Washington and Lincoln, did not have a college degree.

The notion that a US President 'must' be college-educated is a modern notion. The Washington Post contradicts itself with this accompanying article-

Which U.S. presidents didn’t earn a college degree? (Two of them are on Mount Rushmore) - The Washington Post

Personally I don't have a problem with Walker not having a college degree. Being college-educated doesn't make you smarter or more qualified than someone without a degree, most reasonable people know this to be true.

The fact that he isn't a trained lawyer like Obama or Clinton makes him even more appealing, actually. Actions speak louder than words. He's impressed me with his independent thinking, particularly the way he busted up the unions in Wisconsin.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:27 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No, I am only correcting you because you believe art degree is not real work.

I am telling you yes it is. It is real work. You cannot be accepted by Yale simply because you can draw couple of sketches. It seems like you are living a sheltered life.

Matter of fact, I do not know anybody with a college education look down on anybody who don't have one. But that is my experience.
I don't look down on anyone without a college degree. However, that doesn't mean that I want my surgeon to be a college dropout anymore than I want the most powerful person in the free world to be. I think every other country has a leader with a college degree.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
False. Two of our greatest Presidents, Washington and Lincoln, did not have a college degree.

The notion that a US President 'must' be college-educated is a modern notion. The Washington Post contradicts itself with this accompanying article-

Which U.S. presidents didn’t earn a college degree? (Two of them are on Mount Rushmore) - The Washington Post

Personally I don't have a problem with Walker not having a college degree. Being college-educated doesn't make you smarter or more qualified than someone without a degree, most reasonable people know this to be true.

The fact that he isn't a trained lawyer like Obama or Clinton makes him even more appealing, actually. Actions speak louder than words. He's impressed me with his independent thinking, particularly the way he busted up the unions in Wisconsin.
Times have changed since the 1800s. We need to progress with the rest of the world.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Never say never, and I would hate to discriminate on this alone, but I would think that if any position demanded at least a bachelor's level of education, the presidency does.

In Germany many legislators have doctorates, and that is really not that outrageous, if you think about how much they really should know.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:47 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know people who look down on people without degrees.
There are bigots who look down their nose at non-college grads, and look down their noses at people who did not graduate from Ivy league schools.

This entire thread is started by a bigot who disparages anyone for president who did not graduate college.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:49 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Never say never, and I would hate to discriminate on this alone, but I would think that if any position demanded at least a bachelor's level of education, the presidency does.

In Germany many legislators have doctorates, and that is really not that outrageous, if you think about how much they really should know.
A bachelor's degree in what field of study, just any?

Old 02-14-2015, 04:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Your educational pedigree has absolutely no bearing on you intelligence or character.

I hold up the current inhabitant at 1600 as evidence.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:52 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The evidence is in this thread.
Not only looking down on non-degreed people, but people with the "wrong" degrees apparently.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:55 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I don't look down on anyone without a college degree. However, that doesn't mean that I want my surgeon to be a college dropout anymore than I want the most powerful person in the free world to be. I think every other country has a leader with a college degree.
Those are two very different things. Of course you don't want your doctor to not have the proper training, and the only way he gets that is through school and the internship and residency programs. A politician can learn about the world and how to run a government efficiently without finishing school or by being self-educated and surrounding himself with experts. No president goes into office being experts at the job, but they usually select qualified people as advisors to help them.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:56 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Not only looking down on non-degreed people, but people with the "wrong" degrees apparently.
I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies