Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think I will. Governor Walker may have trouble being elected president for not having a degree.

Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president. - The Washington Post
What can be more normal than being an American?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I wouldn't. If, according to so many posters here, college grads are dumb, what the hell does that say about the dummies who were too lazy or too stupid to get one or even try to get one?
Lol...good point.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
If you ask me, what is taught in some of these college pre requisite coarses, was taught in High School 40 years ago.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:02 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Kentucky Senator Rand Paul. He never completed his undergraduate degree at Baylor University but scored so high on his medical school entrance exams that he was admitted to the prestigious Duke University Medical School, where he completed his training as an ophthalmologist.

As a person with two college degrees, I've seen a LOT OF People without college degrees demonstrated ability to analyze situations and solve problems.

Steve Jobs, dropped out of Reed College. The guy displayed exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality.

College degree is a plus, but I do not believe it is requirement.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I wouldn't. If, according to so many posters here, college grads are dumb, what the hell does that say about the dummies who were too lazy or too stupid to get one or even try to get one?
I don't think anyone here has implied that college grads are dumb.

You insult a whole lot of people who are not "dummies" for not going to college. You say they are too lazy or too stupid to get one. Wow...how insulting!! Many simply cannot AFFORD to go. Others have perhaps got learning disabilities and school is very difficult. Many would rather become tradesmen... Electricians, plumbers, etc.

I have a BA and a Masters degree. My sister dropped out of college. We are both successful, happy, and definitely NOT dummies. Your post was really, really offensive.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
That's assuming I'd vote. But sure, why not. Not a deal-breaker. However without even a 4 year degree I'd begin to question his overall competency a bit. Being president you have to know a lot and learn a lot. So to not even get a degree along the way up the ladder would be bizarre. But if he seemed like a solid candidate I'd overlook that.
Going to college does not guarantee anyone learned anything or knows anything, it guarantees that they showed up to enough classes and turned in enough work to pass the class and move on, for four years.

You are assuming that an education means intelligence and it is nowhere close to meaning someone is intelligent if they attended college.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:14 PM

259 posts, read 178,789 times
Education does not equal intelligence. More importantly, education does not mean you'd know about the world around you. Tell me how many "educated" people know the difference between Shia and Sunni, why Afghanistan is so strategically important, and why Russia is so worried about Ukraine. Lastly, education does not give you the emotional intelligence and fortitude to settle cabinet disputes, effectively communicate with other world leaders, and stand up to powerful factions in the military and CIA that may be trying to bully you into stupid and disastrous actions.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
hell yes, degree not a requirement for office

Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,791 times
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Frank Lloyd Wright, etc, Walker is in good company.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:19 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I voted YES
What is college degree except for a piece of paper that says you learned enough to pass the required classes.

What counts is what you DID with what you learned.

"100 Top Entrepreneurs Who Succeeded Without A College Degree"

100 Top Entrepreneurs Who Succeeded Without A College Degree

"Famous, Rich, and Successful People
Who Were High School or College Dropouts

The College Dropouts Hall of Fame: Famous college dropouts, successful college dropouts, and rich college dropouts

Would YOU vote for someone from academia who NEVER held a "real' job but, only has experience in "theory",

or someone who has actually accomplished something?
surely you jest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies