Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 02:19 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And GW Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, ex.ex are all CEO's."

One thing for sure, we certainly DON'T have to worry about most dems having ANY business experience.
Government is about laws.

Obama for instance graduated with honors from Harvard law school. He then taught constitutional law at a university for twelve years.
Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How does GW Bush's and Mitt Romney's experience as a CEO make them better qualified to run government than Obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 02:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Government is about laws.

Obama for instance graduated with honors from Harvard law school. He then taught constitutional law at a university for twelve years.
Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How does GW Bush's and Mitt Romney's experience as a CEO make them better qualified to run government than Obama?
Twelve years huh? When he was also a senator during 7 of those 12 years, do you think he graded many papers from law students?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
No... You just dont like using the same % for the rich and the poor.
Actually, I could live with the same percentage being used by everyone. Not only that, but I'd also go as far as having a graduated system kicked in a the very bottom as long as there were no deductions for anyone.

Let's say that we hypothetically settled at a 20% flat tax. All INCOME is taxed the same including capital gains. We would say that household making under $20k pays no tax. $20k to $25k pays 10%. $25k to $30k pays 15% and $35k and up pays the full 20%. No deductions, tax credits, earned income period. Would you go along with that?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
---
Billionaire CEO's like Warren Buffet have 11% tax rates.

But my cousin who is a doctor and businessman pays over 30% in taxes. My cousin worked his butt off to get where he is, he keeps your family healthy, and his business ventures create jobs in America. But American CEO's move their American jobs to Asia to get cheaper labor costs.

Today's republicans only fight for what the CEO's at Fox news/Rush radio tell them. And the CEO's want this,

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Why not give that $6.6 trillion dollars to the middle class and American job creators like my cousin?

Last edited by chad3; 02-17-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Twelve years huh? When he was also a senator during 7 of those 12 years, do you think he graded many papers from law students?
I only repeated what my source said. But you used spin to avoid answering this question.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
But my cousin who is a doctor and businessman pays over 30% in taxes. My cousin worked his butt off to get where he is, he keeps your family healthy, and his business ventures create jobs in America. But American CEO's move their American jobs to Asia to get cheaper labor costs.
I assume you believe that if your cousin ever opened a hospital, he'd immediately turn into a CEO and move the hospital overseas. After all, all CEO's move jobs overseas, correct?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I only repeated what my source said. But you used spin to avoid answering this question.

A CEO must manage lots of people and situations as well as work with budgets while keeping an organization running.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:55 PM

549 posts, read 456,931 times
Quote:
Billionaire CEO's like Warren Buffet have 11% tax rates.

Today's republicans only fight for what the CEO's at Fox news/Rush radio tell them. And the CEO's want this,

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Why not give that $6.6 trillion dollars to the middle class and American job creators like my cousin?
Ask your cousin doctor: Romney's plan would cut (or keep low) his/her taxes, and would do virtually nothing to reduce Buffet's taxes.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:03 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A CEO must manage lots of people and situations as well as work with budgets while keeping an organization running.
Bwahahah.

Sorry but no. Maybe for a small company. But for a larger company they have minions that do all of that. Its the management of the minions which is important....and many ceos have a VP that does even that. So really it depends on the company and the position.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:07 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
As implemented by the Grand kOch Party? I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Besides, I want billionaires to pay a top marginal rate of 70% or maybe more. You know- like they did back in the 50's when the middle class was thriving, the U.S. was undergoing an economic expansion of historic proportions, and the national debt was shrinking as a % of GDP.
Actually, JFK cut that outrageous rate, and the economy boomed because of it. Later, Reagan followed his lead, and the economy boomed again (we pulled out of the horrible Carter years of "malaise."

I think you'd better examine history, and the effect of a high marginal rate, before you conclude we should be soaking the rich.

Lowering the top marginal rate actually results in more tax dollars to the Federal government. Thank you for asking: Because, the resulting economic expansion creates more jobs, and more people working and paying taxes means more tax money to the Federal government.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies