Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:00 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Israel has had universal healthcare , including an individual mandate for insurance , since formation in 1946. The Israeli Government subsidizes the cost of insurance for those unable to afford it. For all any of us know, the aid the US gives to Israel might be used to help pay for their healthcare system. That system also pays for abortion.

Using the same twisted logic being used by some Conservatives, your opinion about healthcare insurance would make you anti- Semitic.

(I am not suggesting you are. )
No, U.S aid to Israel is only used for military purposes in the form of credits. They are not given a blank check to do as they please, their are restrictions. Israel funds its own healthcare system through taxes, but remember, Israel is a smaller country with a strong economy. Abortions are not very common in Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

It makes perfect sense why some groups align with certain political parties. However the Jews voting (D) in recent decades is what has me puzzled. Having nothing to do with the video, I have assumed Jews are religious, therefore morals and family values would be assumed to be important to any such group. Clearly that is an advantage toward the (R's) as that is right in their wheelhouse.

`
Most Jewish people in the US trend moderate and and most of all, tolerant as it relates to religion.

I am sorry that you seem to feel morals and the family values cliche has anything to do with politics, let alone a specific party.

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
I have assumed Jews are religious, therefore morals and family values would be assumed to be important to any such group. Clearly that is an advantage toward the (R's) as that is right in their wheelhouse.
Speaking about morals and family values is right in the R wheelhouse.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Precisely. There are very few people outside of religious reactionaries and blind greed-mongers who fail to note the immorality inherent in 'R' perspective, and therefore the hypocrisy of the 'R' claims in that regard. For those for whom doing what is right and fair and honorable matters, voting for 'R's is practically impossible without a load of self-deception.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 PM

677 posts, read 653,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke186 View Post
The Republican version of an evangelical Christian fundamentalist moral code is not in line with the way the vast majority of Jews view religion and morality. The Republican Christians are concerned about things like gay marriage, birth control, evolution and even Beyoncé's impact on public decency with the goal of imposing a strict moral code on an entire society that is based on their interpretation of the Bible and Christian theology.

Most religious Jews are more concerned about morals like helping the poor, the protection of minority rights and access to good education. Outside of a few small sects, they are not interested in dictating to their neighbors how they should live and act.

Jews vote for Democrats for the same reasons as moderates and independents. The pervasive influence of the fundamentalist Christian religious right is not in line with their values. You will find very few Jews that have much in common with any right wing party or politics, in the US or around the world.
Perfectly said!

Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Wow, before I can even get to specific posts/questions, I must have touched a nerve with agnostics/atheists. I suppose this thread can be viewed from a general religious lens, but it is not meant to focus on religion (belief or non belief in God) so much. Yet the tone of the video I asked opinions about, does. So maybe that is why so many anti-religion posters are chiming in with their insulting comments.

As an FYI - when I say morals/family values I do not mean all non religious people are devoid of such things, and most should already understand that. Instead I merely point out that religious people who are engaged in political issues in this country align more with the (R) platform than the (D). Again a generalization, but true more times than not.

Of course for the koolaid drinkers who wish to paint (R's) as some type of hateful anti-everybody group, it is no surprise why you feel the way you do. However I have not heard Jews making those type of comments in general, just the partisan political zealots. Not all (R's) are hardcore right wingers like the liberal media tries to portray, and some here have bought into. However when I hear Jews saying that a majority vote for (D's) because of self loathing and do it out of guilt, it makes no sense to me.

As to the notion it is not right to try and pigeon hole an entire group of people, that is not what is happening. If the split was more along the line of 50-50 or even 60-40 that would be one thing. Just as if someone were to ask why blacks vote (D) at 93%, there is obviously a reason, regardless of whether we can pin down exactly why.
Jews vote in large numbers for the (D's), and it seems counter intuitive in some ways. Jews are a very small minority in this country, nowhere near as large and diverse as Christians. Yet numbers show they vote in large part for (D's), not just in presidential elections either. So whether it is an anti (R) or pro (D) vote, I'd like to better understand why, hence the thread. The video is provocative, but I am not sure it is the primary reason, hence the thread.

`

Old 02-13-2015, 02:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
No, U.S aid to Israel is only used for military purposes in the form of credits. They are not given a blank check to do as they please, their are restrictions. Israel funds its own healthcare system through taxes, but remember, Israel is a smaller country with a strong economy. Abortions are not very common in Israel.
Credits?

Unlike other countries that recieve military aid from the U.S., 25% of US military aid to Israel is used to pay for Made in Israel weapons. Unlike other recipients of financial aide, Israel recieves payment in January of each year, like clockwork.

Non military financial aid was substantial between 1947- 1998. The U.S. state department has and continues to provide Migration and Refugee Aid and American Schools and Hospitals Abroard ( ASHA) aid.

The state funded abortion program is a non- issue for most people in Israel and gives pause to some US Conservatives.

I have not come across consistent / reliable data on abortion rates in Israel.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Being from south Florida where there are lots of Jews (probably only 2nd to NY in numbers), I have often wondered why they blindly vote for the modern (D) party?
I have heard various reasons, even from some Jews themselves. However none of the answers really seemed to be a reasoned universal explanation.

I just came across this video, and it is an interesting take on the subject;

So what do you think about the reason/s and the ideas proffered in the video?

`
Have you ever thought about asking any of these Jewish people that live around you? I am sure they will give you an answer towards this question you have. Also, if you have heard reasons from various people, including Jewish people themselves, then why are those reasons not good enough for you? Is it because they aren't saying what you want to hear?

Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I can see how some right wing folks might see voting and democracy that way.

We had slavery under the doctrine of majority rules. I can see how some left wing folks think that is OK.

I understand how a constitution that limits the power of the majority is an obstacle to the leftist agenda.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:12 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Being from south Florida where there are lots of Jews (probably only 2nd to NY in numbers), I have often wondered why they blindly vote for the modern (D) party?
I have heard various reasons, even from some Jews themselves. However none of the answers really seemed to be a reasoned universal explanation.

I just came across this video, and it is an interesting take on the subject;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Iq...em-subs_digest

So what do you think about the reason/s and the ideas proffered in the video?

`
No all of us vote (d)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies