Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:33 PM

723 posts, read 805,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I hate unions because they are like mafia families. I can't think of a more corrupt form of non-profit organization than an union. I urge people to educate themselves about unions and how much these union bosses make.

If unions were about helping workers, they would fight for workers, accomplish their goals and disband but that is not what they are about.

Unions are about profiting from class warfare. When you have a factory worker earning 50 dollars/hour to tighten a screw, you know something ain't right.
Reading
1. Achievements of Labor Unions - The Folks Who Brought You the Weekend

2. Four Reasons Everyone Should Thank Unions On Labor Day | ThinkProgress

Old 02-13-2015, 06:34 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm not Republican but I usually will vote Republican until Libertarian candidates have a chance to win. I don't hate unions...I belonged to a union at one time but I was aggravated that they supported keeping employees that were bums. I also don't think they should be involved in making decisions on the business. Unions did a valuable service for years but their value now is questionable.
I know. It always starts with "hate" as if everyone just hates unions. This is the demonization the left tirelessly engage itself with.

Yet, you and many people have spoken your reasons and they make sense.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Yea, we conservative libertarians don't really have a place to hang our hats... YET!

Like many things, they once did a service for workers who were literally slaves to the company. "I owe my soul to the company store" and so on.

Now... not so much in it for the workers but for the power and control, like our politicians.

Welcome to the "what's in for me" America.

Rand Paul 2016
This whats in for me is a great summary of things in America today. Much is caused by left wing policies that have discouraged people, alienated them, and completely destroyed the possibility of people supporting the left on other issues.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The answer is simple: They're bankrupting the country.

Here in Mass. we have unionized parking lot attendants making 100K per year and toll collectors getting lifetime pensions. Can someone explain how someone deserves to be paid for the rest of their life because they sat in a booth and made change? We're talking about a job that's less complicated than pumping gas.
LOL! You do not. Stop making stuff up to try to prove your point, you comedian .

Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What gives YOU the right to make that decision? You aren't the judge of what is a "reasonable" occupation and what isn't. Reasonable occupation is a subjective classification to begin with.

I understand economics. "Unfunded liabilities" is right-wing slogan propaganda to cut benefits to the 99%.

No, but I already told you the practical reason why collective bargaining needs to be mandatory to work.

If a handful of idiots form a union and go apply for a job making $20 / hour, the job will still go to the guy who didn't join that will take it for less.
Who gives you the right to make decisions on wages? And who decides what a living wage is? It is subjective to begin with.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:43 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
LOL! You do not. Stop making stuff up to try to prove your point, you comedian .
No matter if he is right or not, notice that many union people here, defended those kind of wages. They told Rick Roma that he is jealous, and should unionize if he wants similar wages.

That is the problems with many unions, they have no boundaries. If they get what they want, they will be earning 150K a year, and working 25 hours a week. Ordinary tax payers will end up paying the bill.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Like so many things here, unions were started for very valid reasons but as they grew in power, corruption soon followed. The average union worker isn't corrupt. But those in power in the union can be very corrupt and some unions have had connections to organized crime. Though today's unions get their members higher wages and benefits, those higher wages usually include higher union fees. While union members hold an "us versus them" attitude towards their corporate bosses, their union leaders live a lifestyle on par with corporate executives, paid for by union dues. Some unions have goon squads whose job is to act as muscle enforcers. With the ease of video recording and posting online, we've been able to see examples of this with the SEIU goons among other unions. Why should people support violent criminals?
The problem is not the people support violent criminals. The problem is that a lot of people don't support violent criminals except when it comes to unions. And somehow they find the facts of unions acting like criminals a sort of laughable matter. I guess it does not affect these people so they simply do not care about it.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
No matter if he is right or not, notice that many union people here, defended those kind of wages. They told Rick Roma that he is jealous, and should unionize if he wants similar wages.

That is the problems with many unions, they have no boundaries. If they get what they want, they will be earning 150K a year, and working 25 hours a week. Ordinary tax payers will end up paying the bill.
Exactly what I heard the six-figure wages, they really started defending those wages. They did not say that those wages are unrealistically high. Fact they made it sound even more realistic. It makes me think if the White House pays its janitor six figures.

This is exactly why you cannot put the power in these people's hands. They are corruption. They are the corruption.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

The problem does not end there. When public union members retire, you will be still paying for their bloated patients or your children will be paying for their patients. It just never ends

Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Can't believe republicans refer most of the time to the U.S. constitution but in the meantime they have this resentment towards Unions.
Is there anything out there in that constitution preventing people from unionizing ?
Why do some folks want people to be at the mercy of greedy, selfish and Slave master- minded employers?
Is it impossible to be both a conservative and a pro-union?
Hasn't this exact topic been done over and over again.. The real question is why do most union members vote democrat? Answer that and you will have the answer to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies