Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:34 PM

123 posts, read 149,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well you got one right.... Honey get your ass back in that kitchen and git me a beer and fix me some supper!

I can't believe anybody actually thinks this is how conservatives as a whole actually feel about women. Furthermore, the blatant ignorance on this thread is appalling. Painting conservatives with a broad brush gets you nowhere with your arguments. I am a libertarian who gets killed all the time for doing it. So I don't thing progressives such as yourself shouldn't get a pass.

It would be better to say that the establishment in the GOP is bought out by big business. The average conservative is sick and tired of bailouts to big business, out sourcing of jobs, and illegal immigration. These are the things that are driving down wages.

As for unions, I do feel as though businesses are painting themselves into a corner with $8.50 hour full time jobs. There is eventually going to be a lot of backlash for it. People are starving for opportunity and that is the best they can find in some areas. If that is your wage and you have a family you are more than likely being subsidized by the federal govt. I would consider that an unfair labor practice, but it happens. It is the Harvard business school view of the world, and it has to stop. If I am running a company I am interested in building wealth for myself and my employees. People have value and they should be invested in. Unions doesn't invest in anybody.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:47 PM

273 posts, read 240,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unions can be useful. they can also be misused. when i saw a lot of lazy manipulative people take over unions in the late 60's. i knew steel mills and auto works would be leaving the country soon.
Do I think some factory worker at Ford, GM or Chrysler should be making $35-$40 per hour? Hell no, it's why a new truck costs 50k+. However I don't think the Sheriffs Department should start any deputy out at $16.......nor should a licensed, schooled and skilled plumber, electrician, HVAC tech, carpenter etc....should have to work for under $20 or start for $8.

You have to have a balance.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 PM

32,053 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
Do I think some factory worker at Ford, GM or Chrysler should be making $35-$40 per hour? Hell no , it's why a new truck costs 50k+. However I don't think the Sheriffs Department should start any deputy out at $16.......nor should a licensed, schooled and skilled plumber, electrician, HVAC tech, carpenter etc....should have to work for under $20 or start for $8.

You have to have a balance.
And why not. They are skilled laborers who know how to build a car to the standards and safety that we require. Not just anyone can do that....can you. I know I can't. And that's not why cars cost so much lol It's the features that cost so much. You know the leather seats and the seat heaters.....etc.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And why not. They are skilled laborers who know how to build a car to the standards and safety that we require. Not just anyone can do that....can you. I know I can't. And that's not why cars cost so much lol It's the features that cost so much. You know the leather seats and the seat heaters.....etc.
I have worked on the assembly line for KIA. It isn't skilled work and just about anybody can do it. However, you do have to be trained to do your process after about a month or two you can handle all processes. 4 rotations 8 hours. Good work if you can get it.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't mind unions as a concept (although I do have problems with specific unions, including teacher's unions). But I don't like the idea of forced-union membership and even think the concept is unconstitutional. Hopefully, the Supreme Court will take up the issue soon (there are several cases pending cert) and rule as I think it will.

To those who decry the fact that certain non-union members get benefits (such as higher wages, etc.) due to the union representation, I say so what? How is that harming the union? Even to the extent that this is true, the non-members aren't eating away at union resources (i.e. the union isn't paying to represent them for anything).
This. It is some unions and how inept they are or how they protect some and not others. With my father he got hurt on the job and was told by both his job and the union, let us know if you need anything but they both did Jack squat.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpike2 View Post
I have worked on the assembly line for KIA. It isn't skilled work and just about anybody can do it. However, you do have to be trained to do your process after about a month or two you can handle all processes. 4 rotations 8 hours. Good work if you can get it.
So what you're saying is that you can build a car without any skills....right.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
I'm liberal and I think unions are too powerful in many jurisdictions. It's simple.

A factor in the current topic of police brutality is their unions. Cops know they can get away with all sorts of crap in large part because they have their union behind them whose job is to make it hell to fire one. That's just one example of how unions protect sh!tty employees.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'm liberal and I think unions are too powerful in many jurisdictions. It's simple.

A factor in the current topic of police brutality is their unions. Cops know they can get away with all sorts of crap in large part because they have their union behind them whose job is to make it hell to fire one.

That's just one example of how unions protect sh!tty employees.
Seriously, that is not true at all. Where are you getting this info from.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So what you're saying is that you can build a car without any skills....right.
Any flunky will do. You can get a 16 year old with or without a GED to build a car. I was a temp. That was paid $3 less an hour, and trained KIA employees. Starting pay $15 an hour and climbs within 3 years to $23.50. Might actually be more now. Never got hired on or interviewed after 10 months I found another job. It wasn't Union work either. I have no idea what UAW pay rates are.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpike2 View Post
Any flunky will do. You can get a 16 year old with or without a GED to build a car. I was a temp. That was paid $3 less an hour, and trained KIA employees. Starting pay $15 an hour and climbs within 3 years to $23.50. Might actually be more now. Never got hired on or interviewed after 10 months I found another job.
Well you obviously didn't have the skills to do the job. You know there are tech schools that actually teach you how to build cars. Their program is 18 months. Sorry, no flunky will do.... not with all the regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies