Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:11 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,484,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Having good role models matters. Gay persons playing house may not be a good role model. And the children could be exposed to ridicule from their peers. The playground is not a hotbed of tolerance.
I consider you saying gays are playing house an insult. Many gays and lesbians, my partner and I for one, are in long term committed relationships, 36 years for us this next July 20th. That is not playing house. Now, those 55% plus straight couples that divorce on their first marriages and 70% failure rate on their second marriages, that is playing house. People like Mickey Rooney that got married 9 times, he was playing house. Hugh Hefner, playing house is all he does. Elizabeth Taylor played house more then 7 times, twice with Richard Burton. Ever thought that maybe it is the ridiculers that need to be schooled, same with the ridiculers of children of mixed race parents. I was a kid in the 60's when interracial marriage bans were abolished and schools were integrated, even my own parents had some nasty things to say about interracial couples, many tried to say it was harmful to the children and often those comments were right to those couples. Why does having a religion matter, I know many people who swear to be Christian that sin and sin a lot, some have called me a good Christian for the way I live and the way I treat others, not knowing that I am an athiest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 PM

78,271 posts, read 60,479,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I consider you saying gays are playing house an insult. Many gays and lesbians, my partner and I for one, are in long term committed relationships, 36 years for us this next July 20th. That is not playing house. Now, those 55% plus straight couples that divorce on their first marriages and 70% failure rate on their second marriages, that is playing house. People like Mickey Rooney that got married 9 times, he was playing house. Hugh Hefner, playing house is all he does. Elizabeth Taylor played house more then 7 times, twice with Richard Burton. Ever thought that maybe it is the ridiculers that need to be schooled, same with the ridiculers of children of mixed race parents. I was a kid in the 60's when interracial marriage bans were abolished and schools were integrated, even my own parents had some nasty things to say about interracial couples, many tried to say it was harmful to the children and often those comments were right to those couples. Why does having a religion matter, I know many people who swear to be Christian that sin and sin a lot, some have called me a good Christian for the way I live and the way I treat others, not knowing that I am an athiest.
I agree.

But hey, this whole thread is about generalizations over the acts of one person.

You can't expect such a thread to be fair nor intelligent.

Congratulations on 36 years together if you were my neighbors I'd invite you over for dinner....and I *gasp* live in Kansas.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,520,796 times
I love the wording.

(8) the family is involved in a social group larger than the family that
meets regularly, preferably at least weekly;

Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Senate Bill 158 creates a 'special category' known as licensed CARE families, who would receive 'substantially higher' pay from the state than foster families deemed unacceptable to the CARE program." To qualify as one of there these substantially higher paid foster families, you must be a "churchgoing 'husband and wife team.'"

Forrest Knox: Foster parents should be faithfully married, nondrinkers | CJOnline.com
Kansas Republican Wants to Pay More to Churchgoing, Heterosexual Foster Parents

What's with Kansas and Republicans always trying to give special rights and special benefits to the religious and to heterosexuals? Is giving such special rights to favored majorities something government should be using its power to do?
Remember, this is Kansastan, er excuse me, Kansas. 50% of the businesses are churches or church related (and I think Larry the Cable guy is governor). Of course they'll push for this law, it's just business as usual.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:14 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,517,982 times
this country is going backwards. Ultimately, this takes money away from kids who are placed with non christian/non hetero couples. wow.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:14 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,411,451 times
With liberals it's usually "for the children" except when it might actually benefit the children!

Old 02-14-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
With liberals it's usually "for the children" except when it might actually benefit the children!
This isn't about the children. It's about the Constitution.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:21 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,880,943 times
Well since the state is quickly going broke because of Brownback's completely failed fiscal policies, 10s of millions of dollars cut from education this week, his party is quickly trying to shuffle together some proposals to deflect attention from the important stuff.

Hence removing LBGT protections last week and this nonsense this week.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,411,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This isn't about the children. It's about the Constitution.

It's a stupid proposal that seems legal on the surface. There is no mention of "church" and foster care is not a right. Just because it's legal doesn't make it smart.

I recall a liberal proposal to add additional welfare dollars if mom wouldn't get pregnant again. You might recall it. Equally stupid and it was deemed constitutional.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It's a stupid proposal that seems legal on the surface. There is no mention of "church" and foster care is not a right. Just because it's legal doesn't make it smart.

I recall a liberal proposal to add additional welfare dollars if mom wouldn't get pregnant again. You might recall it. Equally stupid and it was deemed constitutional.
Then we're in agreement. (It's not about the children.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies