Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That's your argument? Some made-up person that magically gets every single Government assistance program-even though they wouldn't qualify for any? You're really digging deep there..

Remember, the question was how do the childless working poor have a negative tax rate?

Nobody that works has SSI/SSDI. You have to be a family unit or older than 62 to have Section 8.
Lifeline was created by your hero Ronald Reagan and was not widely used until 2 years ago-and still is a minuscule part of the budget.

You don't qualify for medicaid even if you make no money-it's for children and the disabled. If you work, you can forget about having health insurance through the Government. The majority of food stamp recipients are children and the elderly-it also is a program that pays for itself.

You have to make less than $15,000 to get the EIC with no children.

Why are you so intellectually dishonest? Something tells me you are not interested in any solutions, but like to watch people suffer.

Some people who have SSI also work, but their SSI is reduced $1 for every $2 of reported income, so there is a strong disincentive to work on the books. Some people on SSDI work, they are allowed to earn something like $1000 per month with no benefit reduction, but if they go over the earnings limit they lose their entire SSDI benefit that month and have to pay it back.

Obamacare expanded Medicaid to include childless adults, until some states challenged that in court, and the Supreme Court rules that states could opt out of the expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Who "hates" the (so-called) poor? Why would they? Anyway, there are few really "poor" people in this country. How many don't have a cell phone? How many don't have a TV? How many don't have an automobile?

But Republicans want everyone to have the opportunity to better their standard of living. They want everyone to have a better job.

The Democrats don't know how jobs are created. They think Government does it. No, businesses create jobs, and when businesses prosper, more jobs are created.

Where do you think jobs come from? Some Santa Clause in the sky? In other words, are they created out of thin air?

A lot of rich people came from humble beginnings. Most rich people got their wealth through their own effort. They didn't sit and wait for someone to hand them something.

Your jeremiads are all just pure propaganda.

??? ??? ??? About 20 years ago, the Salvation Army wanted to open a rooming house in Ann Arbor, specifically for men working low-wage jobs downtown. Republicans raised the NIMBY banner, threatened to use the issue in the upcoming local election, and ran the proposal out of town.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is similar to what got Kansas in trouble and also North Carolina, Shifts from income tax particularly those at the top end with increases in consumption tax. Beyond the fact of wealth disparity for the top 1%
compared to pretty much everyone else this change does not offset the income tax cuts. North Carolina and Kansas are running huge deficits, it doesn't appear this is a very successful strategy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/14/up...abt=0002&abg=1
These governors are going about doing, on a state level, what Bush did on a national level: cut taxes (mostly on the wealthy), create a budget deficit and increase debt, then leave office and the mess for someone else.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:12 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
These governors are going about doing, on a state level, what Bush did on a national level: cut taxes (mostly on the wealthy), create a budget deficit and increase debt, then leave office and the mess for someone else.
If you really believe that, why is Obama creating an even bigger mess and even greater debt for his successor?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:19 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If you really believe that, why is Obama creating an even bigger mess and even greater debt for his successor?
The debt, with interest, carried over from what Bush charged. Obama has cut the budget deficit, Bush left him, by two-thirds. Obama Drops a Truth Bomb On The GOP, "Since I Took Office We've Cut The Deficit By 2/3."

The Fiscal Legacy of George W. Bush

Old 02-15-2015, 10:23 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is similar to what got Kansas in trouble and also North Carolina, Shifts from income tax particularly those at the top end with increases in consumption tax. Beyond the fact of wealth disparity for the top 1%
compared to pretty much everyone else this change does not offset the income tax cuts. North Carolina and Kansas are running huge deficits, it doesn't appear this is a very successful strategy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/14/up...abt=0002&abg=1
First, I consider the NY Times no better then Huff Post or any other left media.

"A number of Republican-led states are considering tax changes that in many cases would have the effect of cutting taxes on the rich and raising them on the poor.

Conservatives are known for hating taxes but particularly hate income taxes, which they say have a greater dampening effect on growth. Of the 10 or so Republican governors who have proposed tax increases, nearly all have called for increases in consumption taxes, which hit the poor and middle
class harder than the rich.

"Conservatives are known for hating taxes but particularly hate income taxes"

What a bunch of B.S.

I didn't bother reading any more after this biased lie. It would be a waste of time.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There is nothing to resent. The only reasonable explanation is hatred for the poor. Intense ill will - the desire to have detriment fall on poor people, in the interest of fostering the comfort and luxury of the fortunate.
"The only reasonable explanation" That WOULD be a first from the left.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:27 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That's your argument? Some made-up person that magically gets every single Government assistance program-even though they wouldn't qualify for any? You're really digging deep there..

Remember, the question was how do the childless working poor have a negative tax rate?

Nobody that works has SSI/SSDI. You have to be a family unit or older than 62 to have Section 8 and the waiting list is years long.
Lifeline was created by your hero Ronald Reagan and was not widely used until 2 years ago-and still is a minuscule part of the budget.

You don't qualify for medicaid even if you make no money-it's for children and the disabled. If you work, you can forget about having health insurance through the Government. The majority of food stamp recipients are children and the elderly-it also is a program that pays for itself.

You have to make less than $15,000 to get the EIC with no children.

Why are you so intellectually dishonest? Something tells me you are not interested in any solutions, but like to watch people suffer.
No, not dishonet, I'll admit I didn't catch "working poor", my bad.

That being said Medicaid has a high cash value, I wish I could stop paying hundreds a month for health insurance and get Medicaid which has no co-pays or deductibles.

Also, Medicaid eligibility varies widely by state. I am from NY and work in healthcare where single people definitely get it.

Food stamps do not "pay for themselves", forced wealth transfer cannot ever "pay for itself", if this was the case we'd all get them wouldn't we?

The truth is the "poor" are undertaxed and overcompensated in the current system.

As for the EIC plenty qualify without children via working off the books or being part-timers only.

No shock there.

The "solution" I am interested in is to stop this charade of government picking winners and losers, ending all wealth transfer, and having a flat 10% income tax so everyone pays the same rate. No credits, no deductions, no loopholes, no BS.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. That's how it works in European countries. Take a look at the two tax progressivity charts, here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/09/19/other-countries-dont-have-a-47/
Then move to Europe!

Old 02-15-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I was in complete poverty in 2012-2013. I didn't have cable, but I had a wide screen and video games. However I had that since before I was poor. I certainly wasn't buying video games with the little money I had. I was borrowing money from friends for food, in fact. A flat tax would've literally put me out of my house.
Quit trying to divert from the issue.

Are YOU claiming that NO ONE ON WELFARE BUYS those things and that they HAD ALL those things BEFORE going on welfare?

Hint, MANY have been on welfare their ENTIRE LIVES as has their entire families.

"A flat tax would've literally put me out of my house.' before I believe that, I need ALL of you financials, to include where you spend EVERY penny.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-15-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies