Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 01:35 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If we did that as a nation, the markets would adjust, and since there is no money tree that employers could simple pick money off of, I think there would be some initial hardships for the labor intensives businesses.

The prices for all goods and services would be impacted, and we would suffer setbacks in our ability to compete in some overseas markets, where labor costs affect the prices for the end product. I also think a lot of low skilled jobs would disappear over night in the small business sector.
Incorrect. Compare these two charts. There is no indication that minimum wage increases affect inflation. The last mw raise was in 2009. Inflation that year was negative -0.34%. A year later, 1.64%. Study the charts. There is not and has never been a correlation between mw increases and inflation.

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/i...inflation.aspx
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0774473.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:14 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Quote:
Trickle down economics? There is no such economic theory.
Yes there is. It's commonly called supply-side economics, and its counterpart is Keynesian economics.
Then call it supply-side economics. I don't consider supply-side economics and tricke down economics to be the same.

Tricke down economics is the idea that tax cuts for the rich will make everyone richer.
Supply side economics is the idea that you need to increase production, not try to encourage demand.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Yes there is. It's commonly called supply-side economics, and its counterpart is Keynesian economics.

An economic idea which states that decreasing marginal and capital gains tax rates - especially for corporations, investors and entrepreneurs - can stimulate production in the overall economy. According to trickle-down theory proponents, this stimulus leads to economic growth and wealth creation that benefits everyone, not just those who pay the lower tax rates.

Trickle Down Theory Definition | Investopedia
sigh It's a made up quote usually attributed to Will Rogers along the lines of the Horse and Sparrow

Trickle down doesn't trickle down. When a business has more money and expands we the people see it right away, through new hires and raises. Only after an increase in the product or service is well on its way does a business see the profit margin. This is basic business.

Can you point to any economist who use trickle down? Specifically that name.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM

273 posts, read 240,249 times
Quote:
I don't think 70% of Americans work.
Why should they? Unemployment pays more than the **** places do!

No reason to work or to have any pride.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
$15.00 an hour is a bit much. Every city is different here in Asheville the living wage is $11.20 I believe, while there are living wage jobs here they are few & far between. People hang on to them here, it should be city wide. We need a living wage not an outlandish hourly wage.
Warehouse forklift drivers made more than that over 15 years ago.

A tool and die guy should too now in 2015.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Amazing how many know what another mans labor is worth or what a living wage for another household is

Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Living wage, Frank in 2015 = I want a great lifestyle despite having never developed skills, and not having the motivation to develop skills..

Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
lets see...raising it to 15

min wage only effects about 1-2% of ALL workers

min wage plus $3 effects less than 5% of all workers

min wage plus $6 effects less than 15% of all workers

median household income USA WIDE is 55.5k.....mean(average) household income is 77k

BUT:

it also increases the taxes on EVERYONE who fell in that zone
increase of income taxes
increase of payroll taxes
loss/reduction of obamacare/Medicaid/other health care subsidies
increase cost of health premiums
increase of state income taxes (if any)
loss/reduction of social benefits such as welfare/food stamps

then...
workers who were already at $15 because they HAVE A SKILL, are screwed, because now an UNSKILLED worker is making the same as the SKILLED worker
No, their cheap bastard boss will pay them $18-25 like you should have 10 years ago......

If not they will tell him to shove it and get a job at Dairy Queen.....

Old 02-16-2015, 06:24 PM

Part of my job is associating with the community.... I know everything about everything because I heard it first hand.

Hundreds of people a week......I heard it all.

Can't you tell?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I myself think this is not a good idea.
People rallying for $15.00 minimum wage.
Another what about me agenda that is getting so gross here in America.
So many would fall victim to this high minumum wage.
Anyone whose job isn't worth $15 / hr would be unemployable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies