Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,912,160 times

Advertisements

Set your own minimum wage. If a job doesn't pay what you think you are worth, don't take it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,341,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
I didn't see the response if it was posted, but I have a question:

If minimum wage goes up, and our regular job "minimums" do not, how does this make sense? Salaried jobs should also be adjusted, right..? Or am I wrong.

I had a convenience store job when the minimum wage was scheduled to increase at the end of the year. There was a circulating joke to the effect that if our manager did not get a raise by the end of the year, the hourly employees would be making more than the manager.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:27 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,448,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Set your own minimum wage. If a job doesn't pay what you think you are worth, don't take it..

That doesn't mean anything when you need to eat & and pay bills. You will take anything that you can get.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:21 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,445,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Pay 'em $2.50, and you can hire 6 workers!

He wouldn't, if he was smart. Time for his boss to pony up on that raise.
Sure, and once he gets that raise, another welder gets fired and he gets to work twice as hard to make up for it and the prices the company charges go up leading to a drop in customers which causes less revenue to come in and the welder ends up getting his wages cut back down to where they were.

It's truly amazing how leftists think that all the money in the world is going into CEO pockets, and if they pass higher taxes, force higher wages, pass expensive business regulations, mandate more benefits, etc that the CEOs will just cheerfully take all that money out of their pockets to pay for a skyrocketing cost of doing business. That's the way it works in your fantasies, but that isn't the way it works in real life. In real life, profit margins usually aren't very high, making a CEO who makes 100 times more than a worker does doesn't pay for a raise for 1000 workers, and increased costs of doing business are passed on to consumers. I think your forehead smacks have affected your thinking capacity. Either that you just don't care about the actual consequences for real people in the real world dealing with actual economic reality as long as you can spout your self righteous rhetoric.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,363,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's truly amazing how leftists think that all the money in the world is going into CEO pockets, and if they pass higher taxes, force higher wages, pass expensive business regulations, mandate more benefits, etc that the CEOs will just cheerfully take all that money out of their pockets to pay for a skyrocketing cost of doing business. That's the way it works in your fantasies, but that isn't the way it works in real life. In real life, profit margins usually aren't very high, making a CEO who makes 100 times more than a worker does doesn't pay for a raise for 1000 workers, and increased costs of doing business are passed on to consumers. I think your forehead smacks have affected your thinking capacity. Either that you just don't care about the actual consequences for real people in the real world dealing with actual economic reality as long as you can spout your self righteous rhetoric.
Corporations in this country are sitting on more than a trillion dollars in assets. The stock market is at all time highs, and some companies had their best year ever in 2014. To pretend most CEOs aren't doing very well right now is completely disingenuous.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM

17,388 posts, read 11,912,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
That doesn't mean anything when you need to eat & and pay bills. You will take anything that you can get.
No, you take what you are worth. If you are only worth the minimum, then that is what you are paid. If you want more, make yourself worth more.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,912,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No, YOU will take anything you can get. Learn to improvise and adjust. Never accept the status quo.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,641,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Do you think they're unsuccessfully looking for jobs though, or do you think they're genuinely just loafing around?

I don't know anyone who I'd call lazy, except maybe one person.

Most people I know are overachieving workaholics if anything. I feel lazy sleeping even 8 hours a day compared to some people I know. lol
I personally know people who saw how long their unemployment compensation would last, and just went fishing and goofed off until they got to about 8-12 weeks left, and then started to look for work.

I guess it depends on the amount of the compensation and your financial situation. If you are single, with no bills, then you might goof off, but a person with a mortgage and children might hit the streets the week they were laid off.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:47 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,093,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Pay 'em $2.50, and you can hire 6 workers!

He wouldn't, if he was smart. Time for his boss to pony up on that raise.
WHY must people insist on being extreme about everything?

There is such thing as a balance to strike. The exact number is debatable, but I do think $15/hr might be prohibitively high, particularly for new small businesses.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,341,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, you take what you are worth. If you are only worth the minimum, then that is what you are paid. If you want more, make yourself worth more.

According to your logic, a union contract magically can add several multiples to the worth of a person's labor.

: smack::s mack::sm ack:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies