Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 07:11 PM

273 posts, read 239,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
If $15 is a good idea why not go with $25?
$12-$15 will get the people who should be $18-$25 there.

Everything goes from the bottom line. Had they not disbanded the unions....everyone except fast food/restaurant, retail stores, and simple car wash jobs would be there already.

Does anyone actually think a factory job where you bust your ass and are there every day is still worth $8 an hour?

You should go back to Africa and Civil War times then because you are a slave owner.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,501,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Please be more specific. Which caregivers pay minimum wage and how do you think it will affect price? If prices go up, I wouldn't call that being victimized. I'm not really following you, Atalanta. Somebody is paying for this care, which isn't cheap. Costs go up all the time, so why would a labor cost increase be any different than a raw materials cost increase? Nobody will lose their care because of a minimum wage increase, and no, it's not going from $7.25 to $15.
It is more than likely my fault you are not following me, nvxplorer, I at times have a hard time putting my thoughts to words/type.

There are some small companies that provide service for this population.
And the County doesn't always pass on the funds. And at times they dictate where it can go to.

This past minimum wage hike has been tough even though it is a slow increase that goes up to what the law passed as the new minimum wage.

Group homes staff 24 hours a day.
The overnight shift is at minimum wage pay vs a higher wage for 1st and 2nd shift.
The increase wage the companies or the individual has to pay will go up for the overnight thus putting a financial strain.

And like I mentioned, elderly care also.
So many more seniors are trying to stay in their homes and this may effect that.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why work any demanding job that pays $15 an hour when one can work fast food for that amount?
Another point worth mentioning. Many skilled tradesmen don't make that much now.

Pathetic....

Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,514,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
My County just started refusing to give tax abatements and breaks to new companies starting up if they pay less than $12 an hour to start. We don't want your business here.....there's already enough of them. If they lie and get caught later after the fact they falsified legal documents and contracts/agreements when signing up for it.....punishable by whatever they choose to peruse.

It's simply ridiculous what many companies expect in qualifications and job difficulty vs what they want to pay. The balance has shifted so far into the owners and managements favor it's a wonder they can even hire anybody to take these jobs. Of course none of this stops them from raising their prices and charging more annually for their products or services.....

It's a hustle and a scam......

Do you know a freaking waitress at the Texas Roadhouse makes more than the average mechanic?
I believe it from all those many customers tips. The Texas Roadhouse is the most popular restaurant in my town. I go there at 5pm, and they're already starting to get packed.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:37 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why work any demanding job that pays $15 an hour when one can work fast food for that amount?
Because fast food work is horrible.

Believe it or not, most people are more interested in doing something that makes them feel important or at least gives them the impression they're doing something worthwhile.

It's like saying 'why would any woman want to be a teacher when she can make more money as a prostitute?'

Old 02-15-2015, 07:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,498,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
It is more than likely my fault you are not following me, nvxplorer, I at times have a hard time putting my thoughts to words/type.

There are some small companies that provide service for this population.
And the County doesn't always pass on the funds. And at times they dictate where it can go to.

This past minimum wage hike has been tough even though it is a slow increase that goes up to what the law passed as the new minimum wage.

Group homes staff 24 hours a day.
The overnight shift is at minimum wage pay vs a higher wage for 1st and 2nd shift.
The increase wage the companies or the individual has to pay will go up for the overnight thus putting a financial strain.

And like I mentioned, elderly care also.
So many more seniors are trying to stay in their homes and this may effect that.
Let me explain it this way. We'll use a real minimum wage proposal - $7.25 to 10.10 over three years, and we'll use a very high ratio for labor costs - 50%.

The math works this way.

The increase amounts to 39% over three years, or 13% per year. With labor being 50% of total, the company's costs rise by 2% per year. (.13 * .50 * .33)

I don't agree that 2% per year for three years results in financial strain.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I believe it from all those many customers tips. The Texas Roadhouse is the most popular restaurant in my town. I go there at 5pm, and they're already starting to get packed.
That college aged girl with the pretty face and nice tush can make upward of $25-$30 an hour there if she knows how to work horny old men right.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:28 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,290,652 times
A 16 year old kid with 0 years of work experience working at McDonalds making 15 bucks/hr. Totally reasonable idea

Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,805,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Let me explain it this way. We'll use a real minimum wage proposal - $7.25 to 10.10 over three years, and we'll use a very high ratio for labor costs - 50%.

The math works this way.

The increase amounts to 39% over three years, or 13% per year. With labor being 50% of total, the company's costs rise by 2% per year. (.13 * .50 * .33)

I don't agree that 2% per year for three years results in financial strain.
You are not very good at math I see.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
A 16 year old kid with 0 years of work experience working at McDonalds making 15 bucks/hr. Totally reasonable idea
They should implement restrictions and exemptions on that minimum wage. Waiters and Waitresses already have one now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies