Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 03:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's true in Denver. I can't speak for all areas of the country but I doubt Denver is the only place where this is true. The electrician's union in Denver is part of the IBEW and they are all over the country and have the same program wherever they are. There's also a huge skilled labor shortage in Denver. They offer health benefits, pensions and rates that are consistently higher then anything I've seen in the area. YMMV.
Not in Minnesota....I recently hired an electrician who is still paying off his student loans. Good thing we pay way more then union scale he can get it payed faster....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
It's true in Denver. I can't speak for all areas of the country but I doubt Denver is the only place where this is true. The electrician's union in Denver is part of the IBEW and they are all over the country and have the same program wherever they are. There's also a huge skilled labor shortage in Denver. They offer health benefits, pensions and rates that are consistently higher then anything I've seen in the area. YMMV.
You don't know much about unions. They are a closed network and you can only get in if you know someone or are related to them.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It's true in Denver, I can't speak for all areas of the country " But, that is NOT what you claimed.

""The unions pay for trade school""
And you claimed it wasn't true across the board. Do you have a point or do you just like to argue?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't know much about unions. They are a closed network and you can only get in if you know someone or are related to them.
That's weird considering I know a few people who went through Union trade schools and became journeyman plumbers and electricians without any connections. It depends on which part of the country you are in I suppose.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
That's weird considering I know a few people who went through Union trade schools and became journeyman plumbers and electricians without any connections. It depends on which part of the country you are in I suppose.
NYC is what I was referring to.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not in Minnesota....I recently hired an electrician who is still paying off his student loans. Good thing we pay way more then union scale he can get it payed faster....
Yes, clearly it is different in different parts of the country. Point noted.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Lefties are cute.

One thread is about the "booming economy" and the next is about the lack of jobs.

Which is it?
It's whichever will support leftism at the moment.

Drone strikes showed that Bush was a war criminal. Drone strikes show that Obama is strong on terror.

Republicans are the party of the out of touch elitists, but Democrats are more highly educated than Republicans.

Republicans are the party of the wealthy, but it shows the superiority of liberalism that blue states are wealthier than red states.

Democrats are the party of the working class American, but Democrats want to legalize millions of foreign workers to drive working class American wages down and put them on the unemployment line.

Democrats will fight against any attempt to ban abortions because it is a constitutional right, but Democrats propose and support gun control to limit the constitutional right of the 2nd amendment.

Democrats can't abide Arizona's state immigration laws because they violate federal immigration law, but Democrats support San Francisco declaring itself a safe haven city in open violation of federal immigration law.

Democrats said that Bill Clinton's sexual harassment of underlings was a private matter that should be best left alone, but Democrats opposed Clarence Thomas's appointment to the Supreme Court on the grounds that he sexually harassed underlings.

The amount of partisan hypocrisy engaged in by liberals in government, in the media, and on this forum is a clear indication that liberals in general have no principles whatsoever. They will say and do whatever benefits them at the moment, and completely reverse it if something else benefits them more in the next moment.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's whichever will support leftism at the moment.

Drone strikes showed that Bush was a war criminal. Drone strikes show that Obama is strong on terror.

Republicans are the party of the out of touch elitists, but Democrats are more highly educated than Republicans.

Republicans are the party of the wealthy, but it shows the superiority of liberalism that blue states are wealthier than red states.

Democrats are the party of the working class American, but Democrats want to legalize millions of foreign workers to drive working class American wages down and put them on the unemployment line.

Democrats will fight against any attempt to ban abortions because it is a constitutional right, but Democrats propose and support gun control to limit the constitutional right of the 2nd amendment.

Democrats can't abide Arizona's state immigration laws because they violate federal immigration law, but Democrats support San Francisco declaring itself a safe haven city in open violation of federal immigration law.

Democrats said that Bill Clinton's sexual harassment of underlings was a private matter that should be best left alone, but Democrats opposed Clarence Thomas's appointment to the Supreme Court on the grounds that he sexually harassed underlings.

The amount of partisan hypocrisy engaged in by liberals in government, in the media, and on this forum is a clear indication that liberals in general have no principles whatsoever. They will say and do whatever benefits them at the moment, and completely reverse it if something else benefits them more in the next moment.

It's complicated. Last I saw, Republicans are more likely to have an undergraduate degree than Democrats, while Democrats are more likely to have a graduate degree than Republicans.

As far as I am aware, the direction of that relationship has not been established - we don't know whether getting a degree leads a person to conservatism, or whether conservatism leads people to get a degree. We do know that kids from high income families are much more likely to get a degree than are kids from low income families.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 PM

273 posts, read 240,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They actually pay quite a bit more than that. And he's not a fat cat. He started his own business and now employs others. He CREATED jobs.

Fat cats are those who don't work but expect to live off of other people's money.
Don't think so.....yours truly started at $9 himself many years ago. I have a lot of friends across the board. Same old same old $8-$10........$12 if you are REALLY LUCKY!

Quote:
The skilled worker shortage that has been predicted for years has definitely hit. More skilled workers are aging out of the profession and there are not enough new people going into it. This could play out in multiple ways. Prices may go up for these types of services (electrical, plumbing, etc.) or we will see unskilled workers trying to do the work of skilled workers resulting in all kinds of problems. Finding good skilled or even semi skilled workers is a huge problem for small business tradesman.
There is no shortage.....just an overflow of people and kids in particular that when they see all they have to do, how much they must know and how hard they have to work the RV factory seems like a much better option and pays a hell of a lot more. Piece rate and bonuses help with that. There's no shortage....just few people they can con into actually doing it and sticking with it for those coolly low wages to start. You buy $20,000+ dollars worth of tools and go to school for at least 2 years so you can start at less than $10 an hour......what a deal.

The Class A...B....and C motor home factory pays $800 a week to start with none of that. You also have better insurance and benefits. That brings up another matter. Many small skilled trade shops don't offer medical insurance and you are stuck with Obamacare now......

Quote:
That may be true for some bosses but it's definitely not true across the board. I know a small business electrician who pays good journeyman $30+ per hour. He pays half way decent apprentices $20 per hour. Many employers understand the value of their workers and are more then happy to pay them a fair wage for good work. A small businessman who is charging $105 per hour won't pocket all of that money as he will have taxes, insurance, worker's compensation insurance, etc. and other overhead expenses. I wouldn't call a plumber charging $105 per hour a "fat cat". He probably makes a decent living but I doubt he's rolling around in money in his spare time. I also doubt he even has much spare time. An hour of work for a skilled tradesman at a job site is just a small portion of the time he has spent on the job, bidding, planning, getting materials, etc. I doubt most small business skilled tradesman who are good at what they do even have much "spare time".
Key word "union".....we only have three companies in my field in TWO Counties that are union.....nobody else is and you are on your own.

LOL

You should watch the gas company work sometime......pathetic!

One guy gets out of the truck and works for 15-30 minutes while two more sit in the truck and watch. After his 15-30 minutes are up another does the same thing.....and another.

Get the F outta the way guys.....my Sister could have been done an hour ago.....know what I mean!

"Hey you can't talk to me like that, I'll file a grievance".

Ok, do you accept a middle finger then? LMAO

Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think only American pension/retirement accounts are invested in profitable publicly traded corporations?
No, it is not correct. Big pharma doesn't sell gas chambers used to kill millions of people. Get rid of it then. Hundreds of millions of people worldwide will be thrust into poverty upon retirement.
In my country retirement is financed by the working people's contributions (I read somewhere that a Euro that is contributed by an employee today is transferred to a retiree about two or three days later; there is no giant account where money has been deposited over years or decades; tomorrow's pensions depend on yesterday's contributions; old people have earned their right to receive pensions, not to a certain amount, which is logical because demographics are changing), and taxes.

That was not the point. The point was simply that Big Pharma is bad in my view, and it doesn't become any better just because people's retirement depends on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies