Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't worry. Obama said we can all get a free college degree. Remember ?
He dropped that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's whichever will support leftism at the moment.

Drone strikes showed that Bush was a war criminal. Drone strikes show that Obama is strong on terror.

Republicans are the party of the out of touch elitists, but Democrats are more highly educated than Republicans.

Republicans are the party of the wealthy, but it shows the superiority of liberalism that blue states are wealthier than red states.

Democrats are the party of the working class American, but Democrats want to legalize millions of foreign workers to drive working class American wages down and put them on the unemployment line.

Democrats will fight against any attempt to ban abortions because it is a constitutional right, but Democrats propose and support gun control to limit the constitutional right of the 2nd amendment.

Democrats can't abide Arizona's state immigration laws because they violate federal immigration law, but Democrats support San Francisco declaring itself a safe haven city in open violation of federal immigration law.

Democrats said that Bill Clinton's sexual harassment of underlings was a private matter that should be best left alone, but Democrats opposed Clarence Thomas's appointment to the Supreme Court on the grounds that he sexually harassed underlings.

The amount of partisan hypocrisy engaged in by liberals in government, in the media, and on this forum is a clear indication that liberals in general have no principles whatsoever. They will say and do whatever benefits them at the moment, and completely reverse it if something else benefits them more in the next moment.
Good analysis.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
He dropped that

A hundred years ago , it was rare that people had schooling beyond the 6th grade if even that much. The average person could make a honest living and didn't need schooling beyond that! Thomas Alva Edison and many other great men had no formal schooling at all! Today not only is that inadequate preparation for working, even the high school diploma I becoming inadequate. We may have to consider adding a 13th and maybe a 14th grade to high school to give every public and private school graduate a sufficient education at least to just get started in a persons working life! If more education and learing is needed then its on to 4-10 years in a higher education institution like a University or Polytechnic Higher School.
For in many professions you need a doctoral degree unless you want to remain a simple technician.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
A hundred years ago , it was rare that people had schooling beyond the 6th grade if even that much. The average person could make a honest living and didn't need schooling beyond that! Thomas Alva Edison and many other great men had no formal schooling at all! Today not only is that inadequate preparation for working, even the high school diploma I becoming inadequate. We may have to consider adding a 13th and maybe a 14th grade to high school to give every public and private school graduate a sufficient education at least to just get started in a persons working life! If more education and learing is needed then its on to 4-10 years in a higher education institution like a University or Polytechnic Higher School.
For in many professions you need a doctoral degree unless you want to remain a simple technician.
we dont need extra years or free cc .
We need fix the system

Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I don't understand the point of the thread really. There are plenty of positions available for skilled workers.

And FWIW, I have a degree in English and I am gainfully employed and one of the primary factors why I am always gainfully employed is that I have excellent writing abilities honed by my studies.

FWIW, I work in procurement and contracting, mostly in capital construction projects. I am working toward a Master's in Public Administration after considering an MBA but since I mostly work in government, I figured an MPA would be better.

If people who are highly educated don't have jobs, I personally feel that it is due to lack of effort or lack of initiative to move somewhere in which their field is in demand.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:30 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's your responsibility to increase your skill level to raise your earning potential.

I pay skilled painters $20 an hour. I pay skilled carpenters, plumbers and electricians upwards of $50 an hour.

Learn a trade. Practice. Stop whining.
Really depends. Average skilled labor makes a living, and that's about it. Most painters would love $20/hr, and by that I mean, on the books, not cash money. Many tradesman in the crappier states are working for cash-money because the work is there, but it is unstable. Employers can't offer full time employment like the "good ole days"... When America had average jobs for the average folks.

Top notch skilled labor still does well though. But who wanted to invest the effort learning at a starting wage of $10/hr? How do you afford tools? Why buy tools when the work is never stable???

Old 02-20-2015, 09:37 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As part of her MBA in GSCM, yes. GSCM requires a lot of creative problem-solving to streamline the process, reduce costs of production, and eliminate problems, so local plants don't have to shut down.

Engineers ARE creative problem-solvers. That's what they do. How do people not know that?
Engineers are math and science people. It's all about numbers. Tell them to do research and write a research paper on the problems with middle east or any other country they couldn't to it because they have no idea. Sorry they are not creative.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Engineers are math and science people. It's all about numbers. Tell them to do research and write a research paper on the problems with middle east or any other country they couldn't to it because they have no idea. Sorry they are not creative.
Writing a research paper isn't creative. Writing a research paper is simply investigating facts from other sources and organizing them into a paper. Great musicians are creative, great artists are creative. Anyone who innovates is a creative. That includes engineers and scientists.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:18 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Lefties are cute.

One thread is about the "booming economy" and the next is about the lack of jobs.

Which is it?
I mentioned a booming economy in a thread as something we need, not something we have. We may never have it if our focus is on global fairness.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Really depends. Average skilled labor makes a living, and that's about it. Most painters would love $20/hr, and by that I mean, on the books, not cash money. Many tradesman in the crappier states are working for cash-money because the work is there, but it is unstable. Employers can't offer full time employment like the "good ole days"... When America had average jobs for the average folks.

Top notch skilled labor still does well though. But who wanted to invest the effort learning at a starting wage of $10/hr? How do you afford tools? Why buy tools when the work is never stable???
If it didn't cost the employer so much to hire full time employees, there would be much more opportunity.

Over taxation and over regulation make it very difficult for those without business sense to earn a decent living, no matter how good you are at your trade.

As always, government and bureaucrats are the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies