Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Prison life being too easy is probably a major reason so many people end up there. After all, you have your meals handed to you every day, you don't need a car or public transportation, and you don't have to worry about keeping the utility bills paid.
i have known some people that, that is their retirement plan, hit someone in the head and go spend thirty years at the big house with brother in law and cousins, and i'm not joking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that a good idea, i like it
Seems to me that America The Land of The Free (at least that is what they tell me) may not be your cup of tea, and that a dictatorship may be more to your liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Isn't it ridiculous that people are choosing to break the law and be in prison for drug charges??
A law is a law even if you do not agree with it.

Not all laws are just or moral! Given that most laws are man-made there is room for errors! Besides, it is our civil duty as Americans to protest, and if necessary ignore bad laws. Look I'm all for locking up those who commit violent acts, such as robbers, murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and even those who commit acts such as embezzling, or stealing someone's life savings! But locking up and destroying someone's life for partaking in recreational drugs, especially if they have not caused harm to someone else is overkill, counter-productive and quite frankly immoral!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Isn't it ridiculous that people are choosing to break the law and be in prison for drug charges??
Sounds eerily similar to what people said when they rationalized becoming Nazi soldiers.

Some laws should not be automatically accepted. The existence of some of these laws themselves are what is being questioned. Rightfully so.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Sounds eerily similar to what people said when they rationalized becoming Nazi soldiers.

Some laws should not be automatically accepted. The existence of some of these laws themselves are what is being questioned. Rightfully so.

Don't forget Jim Crow laws. I guess Rosa Parks should have sat her a** down in the back, and kept quiet?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:59 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

I just had to laugh reading your 1st sentence.
How can one do anything but laugh at such an insane thought and comparison!!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:00 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Don't forget Jim Crow laws. I guess Rosa Parks should have sat her a** down in the back, and kept quiet?

Yours too.
Just something else, comparisons you throw around

Old 02-17-2015, 07:10 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
I really wish the founding fathers had felt this way!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:13 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i have known some people that, that is their retirement plan, hit someone in the head and go spend thirty years at the big house with brother in law and cousins, and i'm not joking
Why not? Spend the rest of your life playing cards and dominoes with them. And when you're past age 65, I doubt you would be pestered by another prisoner wanting to use you as a substitute for a woman.

In Oklahoma, you don't need to harm anyone. Just grow some marijuana and end up in prison for as much as life. But most people get considerably less than that.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Yours too.
Just something else, comparisons you throw around

Obviously the point of just because it's a law it doesn't make it a just law. Locking up someone or supporting the idea of locking up someone, and potentially ruining that person's life simply for possessing or smoking weed, is about as ridiculous as it gets! It's a great comparison, because Jim Crow was law in many states at one time, as was segregation. Were those moral, or just laws? Think real hard before you answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies