Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
What utter nonsense. I would count the lies in your post, but it's all lies and invective.

Wisconsin is better off without you, and it's still a wonderful place.

P.S. King Obama, not Scott Walker or anyone else, has divided the population and pitted neighbor against neighbor more than anyone in history.

You might want to do a little research. Everything that was posted is 100% accurate.

In addition to breaking his campaign promise of creating 250,000 new jobs in WI, Walker has cut funding to the very basics of WI to the degree that now he must take WI into debt just to repair the crumbling highways!

His presidential bid is built on big, bold, new ideas, but I don't think borrowing $1.3 billion and putting WI in debt for our children is a big idea.

Quote:
The $1.3 billion in transportation borrowing would be about 30% above the $991 million in loans in the current two-year budget. A coalition of the transportation industry and local governments said Walker's plan would mean that one in four dollars in the road fund would go toward paying off debt.
Quote:
In addition, Walker would issue $220 million in state bonds to help finance a new professional basketball arena but provide no other new borrowing for state buildings.
Scott Walker budget plans hit some road blocks

Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It wasn't blunt, he refused to answer, as if he was ashamed of his own beliefs.
That was your interpretation, and your interpretation is why he was asked that particular totally irrelevant question. That's the point of gotcha questions by media jacktards, to force bumbling answers that allow the court of public opinion to conjure any interpretive straw man they wish and thus tear it down.

What relevance does binary belief in evolution have to any duty or responsibility of a Chief Executive of a bureaucracy? Name even one?

The point of the question is to get people like you to think the target of the gotcha is irresolute in a stance, thus irresolute in all stances (which you must infer using a fallacy), thus to be dismissed on an ad hominem basis (another fallacy).

The entire line of questioning tells me virtually nothing about Walker, other than he's not as extemporaneously sharp as I am when faced with retarded, irrelevant questions, but it tells me a ton about how vapid and sophomoric the entire "civilized" world has become, particularly our media. The alleged "bulwark vs tyranny" is now tyranny's chief architect, enabler and promoter.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,608,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Media’s Interrogation of Scott Walker on Evolution Is in Bad Faith

Bottom line, asking a politician if they believe in evolution is simply a culture war gotcha question. Walker's answer was dull and blunt, and I wish he had said something snappy like "what specific aspect, theory or subject area of the larger academic area of evolution are you referring to, and please be very specific", but it's still about as absurd a question as asking him whether he's a believer in the Big Bang, cyclic cosmology, or Carroll's multiverse, because Lord knows his belief/faith in different schools of cosmology is vital to how well he can be the Chief Executive Officer of a dysfunctional bureaucracy composed nearly entirely of morons who cannot do arithmetic.

In all honesty, I'd throw it right back at the person asking the question...

Reporter: Volobjectitarian...do you believe in evolution?

Volobjectitarian: Do you believe in Euler's Identity?

Reporter: Not sure what that is or what is has to do with my question?

Volobjectitarian: Are you telling me you don't believe in Euler's Identity, one of the most beautiful equations in mathematics, and fundamental to Fourier analysis?

Reporter: I didn't say that, I don't even know what Euler's Identity is.

Volobjectitarian: How can you be a reporter and not know higher order mathematical theory?

Reporter: Math isn't very relevant to my job.

Volobjectitarian: Yep, and my belief in evolution isn't relevant at all to mine. Next question.
I'm pretty sure evolution is relevant to a governor's job, since there's currently a culture war going on to get evolution thrown out of schools. Not to mention that it's extremely basic knowledge, unlike say Euler's Identity. A sounder comparison would be asking if the reporter believed in the existence of calculus.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Pray tell, why would Wisconsites continue to vote for Gov Walker?

2002 Milwaukee County Executive Special Election - Walker 58%

2004 Milwaukee County Executive Re Election - Walker 57%

2008 Milwaukee County Executive Re Election - Walker 59%

2010 Wisconsin Governor Election - Walker 52.2%

2012 Wisconsin Governor Recall Election - Walker 53.1 %

2014 Wisconsin Governor Re Election - Walker 52.3%
They held out hope that Walker would make good on his promise to create 250,000 new jobs in WI. Sad really.Promise of 250,000 jobs hasn't changed, Scott Walker says

Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,074,274 times
Oh my gawd. Next you'll tell me there is a war on women. Is there no shame;... in recycling warmed over candidate trashing tactics. Is that you, Senator Uterus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I'm pretty sure evolution is relevant to a governor's job, since there's currently a culture war going on to get evolution thrown out of schools. Not to mention that it's extremely basic knowledge, unlike say Euler's Identity. A sounder comparison would be asking if the reporter believed in the existence of calculus.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Oh my gawd. Next you'll tell me there is a war on women. Is there no shame;... in recycling warmed over candidate trashing tactics. Is that you, Senator Uterus?
FYI, a state governor has a lot to do with the development of educational policy in that state.

A little homework for ya. Governor

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Even assuming your imaginary culture war exists, governors do not set school curricula, the legislative branch issuing orders to school boards who then issue orders to school administrators do. A governor can veto the legislative proposals, and can then be overruled by a 2/3 majority in the legislature.

Belief or lack thereof in evolution simply is not relevant to anything the chief exec of an American three chamber government has as a duty.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
FYI, a state governor has a lot to do with the development of educational policy in that state.

A little homework for ya. Governor
The policies are determined by the legislature, and the chief exec is the lead salesperson. But actual law/policy/standard is determined in the legislature, and the individual school boards choose how to implement those laws/policies in accordance with the legislature's marching orders. Of note - school boards also defer to legislative process rather than single administrator fiat. It's a few layers of legislative action that change curricula, not the governor's whims.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I suppose it is possible that the OP ancestors are toads, or a gerbils or something, but as for me, I'm created in the image of God, thank you very much.

Such silly statement.

You must be a Boomer.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The policies are determined by the legislature, and the chief exec is the lead salesperson. But actual law/policy/standard is determined in the legislature, and the individual school boards choose how to implement those laws/policies in accordance with the legislature's marching orders. Of note - school boards also defer to legislative process rather than single administrator fiat. It's a few layers of legislative action that change curricula, not the governor's whims.
In WI, the governor influences education with funding and policy. Scot Walker even attempted to rewrite the UW idea statement!

Quote:
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker has come under fire this week not only for proposing a controversial and unprecedented $300 million cut to the University of Wisconsin, but because his new budget deleted the values of truth and service from the University’s 100-plus-year-old mission and replaced them with the idea that the purpose of public higher education is “to meet the state’s workforce needs.”
Scott Walker Deletes The Values Of Truth And Service From University Mission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies