Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. I don't think there is much of an argument against the Iraq War being a mistake. But if memory serves me right, there was a lot of popular support for the war when it began. I'm curious what people's thinking at the time was that would render such a war beneficial in some way.
It made me hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm not sugar coating it. That's why it was beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I can't say I was for or against the Iraq War. We just didn't have enough information as an average citizen. But the whole "weapons of mass destruction" thing was kind of silly. Iraq had chemical weapons and used them 10 years previous in their war with Iran, so that didn't seem like much of a reason. The problem with all wars is that you don't know the outcome or the long term effects. In hind sight, we might very well have been better off with S. Hussein than the mess that is in there now.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I am now too afraid to vote for a Republican"

I respect your opinion on this matter but, am a little confused. Remenber Clinton a DEM called for a regime change in IRAQ and supported Bush, The Senate Majority Leader in the Senate not only supported it but, co-sponsored the bill giving Bush authority, the House Minority Leader a DEM co-sponsored the bill. Just about EVERY TOP leader in the DEM party supported it.

So why would you vote for a DEM?
I wouldn't.
That's why I said I didn't vote in the last election. But I do think since Iraq the Dems are more reluctant to invade ME countries than the Republicans are. I'm encouraged that Egypt and Jordan are taking the lead and hopefully other ME countries will join them.
I'll wait and see who the Republicans pick, but if they start drumming up "boots on the ground" to fight ISIS, I won't vote again. I can't tolerate seeing one more of our soldiers maimed or killed over Muslims and their hateful culture. And worse, now any soldier captured we'll have to watch being beheaded or burned alive.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Understood and agreed!

How about Sen. Rand Paul?

Sen. Rand Paul Says Foreign Policy Stance Puts Him in Mainstream

he sees war as a “last resort,†seeking a middle ground between his party’s traditional defense arm and a libertarian wing skeptical of foreign entanglements. Congress needs to be consulted on military actions and should approve defense budgets that don’t compromise national security or increase the deficit, he said.

“I’m not going to apologize for this. If I’m ever commander-in-chief, I will not want to take the country to war,†he told The Wall Street Journal CEO Council’s annual meeting.

Sen. Rand Paul Says Foreign Policy Stance Puts Him in Mainstream - WSJ
He definitely has some compelling ideas I agree with, and he stands his ground. But I find Since both parties and most of the media are slinging such negative hype on him, it's hard to find the real truth out about him.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM

191 posts, read 172,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
It made me hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm not sugar coating it. That's why it was beneficial.
So true. I know a couple of reservists who took leave of absences from $70,000 a year jobs to they could go to the ME and make over $100K per year. Now they are back and contemplating filing for life time disabilities.. Thank you for your service...taxpayers.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I just know its looking more and more like this generation is making same mistakes that lead to WWII. Lots of Hitler's out there and they are not just to let you live in peace any more than Hitler.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM

273 posts, read 240,262 times
Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20. I don't think there is much of an argument against the Iraq War being a mistake. But if memory serves me right, there was a lot of popular support for the war when it began. I'm curious what people's thinking at the time was that would render such a war beneficial in some way.

Gallery For > Saddam Hussein Body Hanging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_a8jtWVTtU

Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

81 Democrats in the House voted for it.
6 Republicans voted against it.

Too bad those 81 Democrats were not war mongers, with the 215 Republicans that passed the resolution.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
81 Democrats in the House voted for it.
6 Republicans voted against it.

Too bad those 81 Democrats were not war mongers, with the 215 Republicans that passed the resolution.
Practically every leading Democrat voted for it.

I'm guessing the rank and file Democrats that voted against it did so for either political cover or they wanted something different in the bill.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:37 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
My brother made over $1 million!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies