Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

I burn my plastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 05:57 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
We use those plastic grocery bags as garbage bags. That way we save on garbage bags.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Getting Old Person here who lives alone and drops everything. It's why I still use the old light bulbs.

Glass is heavy. I happen to live in a suburban 3 story apartment complex. I pity the people who live on the second or third floor that would have to do that lugging with stairs multiple times if they have to carry paper bags instead of plastic. In fact, I bet they have a hard time renting apartments on the second or third floors if everything sold is glass instead of plastic.

Paper bags at the supermarket mean extra trips back and forth to the car with bum legs since only one paper bag at a time can be carried from car to home. Also, if the same crappy environmentally friendly paper bags that are used in places like Panera Bread, Baskin Robbins and McDonalds, are used at the supermarket combined with heavy glass items, it means a lot of bags that fall apart before you get them in your home. I actually take plastic bags with me when I order take out. I put the paper bags I get from them in the plastic bags I'm reusing. I'd actually buy more from those places if it wasn't for the crappy paper bags.

I also reuse my plastic bags from the supermarket to line the trash cans in my bathrooms.

I re-use my 20 oz. soda bottles that I get with food delivery not because of environmental reasons but because I'm okay with tap water. I just like it colder. By reusing delivery soda bottles it means I don't have to lug 8 packs of water home from the supermarket. I'm the only one drinking it. I buy a little box of powder to mix in it if I want something sweet.

And 100% cotton means ironing. Are you willing to iron all of your clothes again? I don't even own an iron.

My hobby involves nature and birds. I don't want to see more trees cut down. I don't want to iron my clothes. I don't want to struggle with heavy bags and multiple trips to the car after food shopping. I want to be able to lift things out of my refrigerator without worrying about broken glass on the floor. Figure out how to recycle the plastic.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Get rid of your Keurigs!

Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I burn my plastic.
Smoke it, man - It's legal!

Old 09-22-2015, 02:05 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The OP's premise is dumb. For example. What you man not realize is that many years ago, milk and soda came in glass bottles. Once you were done, they had to be transported back to the plant, and washed for reuse. I'm sure its more expensive the old way, and probably used more energy. So before you condemn something, you might want to consider the effects of alternatives.

Plastic bags are the same thing. When I was a kid, everything was paper bags for groceries and other items. Plastic came and replaced paper because people were screaming about all the trees being cut down just for paper bags. Same is true with the automobile. One of the advantages of the car was that it polluted much less than a horse. Yet today, these back to earth types would like to put us all on a horse and eliminate the car. Can you imagine the manure problem if everyone had a horse or two?

Today we live in a very clean environment. Learn to appreciate it.
Good post! Most likely we should go back to cutting down trees and replant. Letting the forest be natural is not working out so well for California and Washington, along with all the loss of wildlife.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Hi, Can you please explain how a horse pollutes more than an automobile? BTW, I don't think many people want to go back to using horses. Making our cars more efficient, better MPG etc is actually the goal. Or finding and funding alternative resources. Oil and gas is just the most efficient for the monetary cost but we also have to look at other costs. That is, pollution, diseases caused by said pollution. Making life so easy it is 100% sedentary and the medical cost of obesity and weight related diseases. My point, it is complicated and not that "back to the earth" people want to live in caves. Anyway, there is actually a lot we can do to make life better. You may not realize it but our American lifestyle is not sustainable in many ways!
They gave us the electric car.......what a grand idea with a failing power grid.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I'm ashamed to see the amount of plastic being used and disposed of everyday, everywhere in this country.
Why?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Hi, Can you please explain how a horse pollutes more than an automobile?
For an education...I suggest you walk around in a horse pasture or stable sometime. Then look at your boots.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:28 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
The great news for many here is that because oil and gas prices are low, the downstream chemicals sector is booming. This includes polyethylene which is used for **drum roll** PLASTIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies