Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 04:37 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,924,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
The premise of the question was flawed, if you cant see that then you are allowing yourself to be deceived by liberals appealing to your emotion.

Spoiler
The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is an act of the United States Congress, passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals that accept payments from Medicare to provide emergency health care treatment to anyone needing it regardless of citizenship, legal status, or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. Participating hospitals may not transfer or discharge patients needing emergency treatment except with the informed consent or stabilization of the patient or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment.[1]
I think the question revealed an ill-prepared Mr. Paul.

& rather than an 'appeal to emotion' I think the responses revealed a 'mob mentality' & a lack of reasonable (plausible, pragmatic, etc.) solutions.

Personally, I appreciated the honesty of the responses because it showed honesty rather than denials, suggestions for 'time traveling' back to the good ole daze' & weasel words.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It should be on the table. We most certainly should be caring for the health care of our nation before funding Rajendra Pachauri.
Nice dodge but your suggestion was about the UN, another 'sound bite,' & not at all connected to providing solutions.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Zimbabwe's currency lacks credibility for other reasons.
Like printing too much of it. Which is exactly what you're suggesting the U.S. should do to pay for UHC (among other things).

Hell, if what you suggest is true, why don't we just print $350 trillion dollars, pay off the national debt, give every man, woman, and child in the U.S. $1 million dollars, and print another $320 trillion each year (increase as necessary for population growth) so that every person gets $1 million merely for existing.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
So is life important or is it not? Or is only important when you say so? Or, would you agree their are practical reasons to kill someone?
So are you pro-choice? If so, have you answered this question yourself?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Who are you to dictate what people need to buy or what types of vacations they should take. Someone busts their behind to be successful and afford family vacations or a new car and you deem them not worthy? Wasn't aware we had so many tyrants on this board. At what point do you just take the entire paycheck and ration the entire thing evenly to everyone.
They're fascists. And they're completely in denial about it.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:09 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Being healthy isn't a right.... So therefore it isn't society's job to make sure you are healthy.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
I'm always astounded at the hypocritical and contradictory statements that come from an argument based on morality or ideals. Both sides attempt to defend their positions with moral imperatives which invariably places them in conflict with other positions they may have. Further, it also highlights, in some cases, that some people, such Opin_Yunated are willfully ignorant about the realities of the world unless it suits them. We as a society and government tell people to **** off and die every day. Although its not with the same hyperbole used above but the same meaning none the less. I'm rather sure Opin_Yunated supported US withdrawal from Iraq with the knowledge that people in Iraq will die because of that decision. He seems quick to take the high-ground with causes he believes in and I'm willing to bet he chooses the pragmatic line when it suits him as well. The moral absurdity Opin_Yunated writes with here has been and will be again quickly contradicted when he supports a pragmatic solution that results in the loss of life. I'm rather sure when he choose the pragmatic solution, he wont think of himself as selfish and probably wont consider his decision as one akin to "**** off and die". So, Opin_Yunated, next time you support a policy that results in the loss of life, you are basically telling someone who is less fortunate to **** off and die. I understand you think you have some moral superiority but its only willful ignorance that allows you to pretend.
Excellent point.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
The point is, you cant argue from a moral imperative about life then ignore that moral imperative when addressing another issue concerning loss of life. Your moral imperative has no virtue if you dismiss it. The point I'm making is, arguing from a morality or idealistic standpoint is not a credible argument because we all know, practicality trumps almost any moral code we may have when it comes to public policy debate due to the credibility issues idealistic and moral arguments have.

Moral and just aren't black and white.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:49 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm not. Stop working so hard to misunderstand the words you're reading:This is about society setting righteous priorities for its economy and operations, rather than abiding the screwed up, self-centered priorities such as those you would have society follow.

It is telling that you have to effectively lie about what I wrote in order to have the ability to put together any reply to it. I doubt you even believe the nonsense you wrote here because you're too smart to really believe that fifteen years of delay is appropriate for "addressing waste, fraud and duplicity" - it is bald-faced obstructionism.

Stop making excuses for the egoistic nonsense opponents of UHC use to rationalize their obstruction.

stop acting like you aren't saying what you are. YOU are telling people what they do and don't need. As long as someone is paying taxes they are already paying to subsidize other peoples lives. You don't need the 3 bedroom house your family will survive fine in a studio apartment. So you can taking the money I just saved you and pay for someone's healthcare.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
stop acting like you aren't saying what you are.
Wow... so now you're telling me what I'm saying - despite the fact that I said it and despite the fact that anyone who cares to check up on your nonsense could just scroll up on the thread and see for themselves. Amazing.

Quote:
YOU are telling people what they do and don't need.
Actually, I'm not - so yet again you are vigorously clinging to the delusion that you're using to rationalize your vacuous responses instead of admitting that you have no reasonable response to what I actually wrote. And for what? Just to claim yet again exclusion from your obligations as a member of society - to exclaim to the world that it should always be just all about you, and the comfort and luxury you want for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies