Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
If Israel doesn't care about Isis, then why is Netanyahu coming to address congress about them?
He's not, at least overtly. The issue is us negotiations with iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

We have our own technology, we sent Israel the iron dome
You have it reversed. The Iron Dome was developed by Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and is being co-produced by U.S.-based Raytheon. The United States and Israeli governments signed a co-production agreement to enable components of the Iron Dome system to be manufactured in the United States, while also providing the U.S. Missile Defense Agency with full access to what had been proprietary Iron Dome technology.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 PM

501 posts, read 361,534 times
I really don't see why Israel doesn't get involved, either. The US and Israel have such a close relationship that US intervention, already ongoing, may as well be Israeli intervention. I assume the Arab League is not approving of an Israeli intervention, but since the US is helping so much, you'd think the League would be fine with Israeli intervention too

Another poster mentioned that Iraq does not recognize Israel, so they don't want Israel attacking ISIS in Iraqi territory. But Iraq has bought billions worth of military equipment from the US, and there are Iraqis getting military training in the US right now so they can operate the vehicles they bought from the US. So what's the big deal? If you buy stuff from the US, you're indirectly giving money and support to Israel, since the US will definitely buy stuff from Israel and support them.

Plus I think I read somewhere that Israel is already sending aid to the anti-Assad rebels in Syria... so they are involved already.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:42 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
- because Israel did not let millions of the poorest, most uneducated people from fanatical religious hotbeds that support ISIS into their country.
- To get other Arab countries involved in the fight, important Israel stays on the sideline.
- It's in Israel (and the US') interest that these countries / regions stay at odds with each other. If they are busy cutting each other's heads off fighting over whether Mohammed slept with an 8 yr old or 10 yr old boy, they aren't trying to blow me up for simply taking the train to work.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
I really don't see why Israel doesn't get involved, either. The US and Israel have such a close relationship that US intervention, already ongoing, may as well be Israeli intervention. I assume the Arab League is not approving of an Israeli intervention, but since the US is helping so much, you'd think the League would be fine with Israeli intervention too
ISIS is not a existential threat to Israel at the moment. I fail to understand how United States mess ups in the region somehow equates to Israel's problems? The Arab League wouldn't approve anything Israel does nor does it really matter, since anything the Arab League produces is as good as toilet paper. It should be noted that the Arab League has kicked out Assad.

Quote:
Another poster mentioned that Iraq does not recognize Israel, so they don't want Israel attacking ISIS in Iraqi territory. But Iraq has bought billions worth of military equipment from the US, and there are Iraqis getting military training in the US right now so they can operate the vehicles they bought from the US. So what's the big deal? If you buy stuff from the US, you're indirectly giving money and support to Israel, since the US will definitely buy stuff from Israel and support them.

Plus I think I read somewhere that Israel is already sending aid to the anti-Assad rebels in Syria... so they are involved already.
This logic does not make sense. U.S has armed many other fractions and who still loath for Israel destruction. Even small terrorist cells still don't like the U.S after receiving arms.. Its ideology just does not disappear.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There you folks go again...anointing the Israelis as supermen.

Again, the United States with tens of thousands of troops couldn't pacify Iraq, or put down the Sunni insurgency. Many simply melted back into the population and waited it out. Hell, you don't even know who these ISIL people are.

If ISIS had any Israeli targets to actually hit, they'd surely do so and do it with impunity because Israel has limited options for retaliation.

Anyway, it's moot. ISIS isn't a threat to Israel or us.
The United States had a difficult plan to begin with, and the reason why things got out of control was more administrative than militarily. The U.S can handle guys with long beards and jeeps, the issue was

A) Installing an inexperienced Shiite corrupt leader, who recalled its U.S trained top experienced generals prior to the surge of ISIS; Which aloud ISIS to take full advantage. Remember the goal was to train Iraq troops to fight and defend, not the U.S.

B) Installing Maliki a Shiite leader, adopted same dogmatic principles amongst is people, especially the Sunni's. The Sunni's were the oppressors during Sadam. Now that the roles have reversed, the Sunni's have rebelled and supporting ISIS in opposition to Shia rule.

C) IMO and geopolitically speaking, I think it was a poor decision to install a Shiite leader in Iraq, because now we are experiencing its decomposition with Iran trying to gain influence in Iraq.

D) U.S is not really sure who it really wants to combat. ISIS seems to be top priority, but all these others groups like Hezzbollah, Asam, ect are just a bad for U.S interests. Sectarian divide will always prevail, and the U.S can not defeat this.

I think Israel would have a difficult time as well combating ISIS or any of these Jihadist groups.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:

Israel doesn't get involved because it's not in their interest to get involved. They've got better things to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
The United States had a difficult plan to begin with, and the reason why things got out of control was more administrative than militarily. The U.S can handle guys with long beards and jeeps, the issue was

A) Installing an inexperienced Shiite corrupt leader, who recalled its U.S trained top experienced generals prior to the surge of ISIS; Which aloud ISIS to take full advantage. Remember the goal was to train Iraq troops to fight and defend, not the U.S.

B) Installing Maliki a Shiite leader, adopted same dogmatic principles amongst is people, especially the Sunni's. The Sunni's were the oppressors during Sadam. Now that the roles have reversed, the Sunni's have rebelled and supporting ISIS in opposition to Shia rule.

C) IMO and geopolitically speaking, I think it was a poor decision to install a Shiite leader in Iraq, because now we are experiencing its decomposition with Iran trying to gain influence in Iraq.

D) U.S is not really sure who it really wants to combat. ISIS seems to be top priority, but all these others groups like Hezzbollah, Asam, ect are just a bad for U.S interests. Sectarian divide will always prevail, and the U.S can not defeat this.

I think Israel would have a difficult time as well combating ISIS or any of these Jihadist groups.
Of course they would. It would be a death trap for Israel. Their name alone would attract every nutty jihadist on Earth to come there and fight.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Israel has better things to do? And America doesn't? There's no consistency here. Israel is right next door to all this. Islamic State is evil, it needs to be destroyed. Innocent people are dying and Israel is just sitting on the side lines thinking about itself. Or at least that's how you guys are describing the situation.

Israel should help, the Arabs should let them help. They're already in bed with the US in so many other ways.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post

You know, it's funny, I've recently come under the conclusion that Israel Firsters are obsessed with painting the Shia factions as evil because they hate Iran so much, and here it is, plain as day. WINEP, the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, says the same thing over and over. AIPAC created WINEP.

First off, there's no way any serious person who has looked at Iraq can come away thinking Maliki is a "role reversal" with Saddam. It seems to me you're trying to equate the two, if not I apologize. But if so, you're way off the mark. The Shiite factions were pretty darn reasonable up until Al Qaeda and Ex-Baathists ran around bombing thousands of people. Even at their worst, I don't see how the Shia factions come close to Saddam's scale of brutality.

Regarding your point C, the US never installed a Shiite leader in Iraq. That was done by Iraqi elections. I believe Maliki was recommended by the US authority, but even if he was not picked by the US, the elections would've resulted in a Shia leader no matter what. Hopefully you're not suggesting the US should've used military force to ensure some kinda result that you're more happy with.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Israel has better things to do? And America doesn't? There's no consistency here. Israel is right next door to all this. Islamic State is evil, it needs to be destroyed. Innocent people are dying and Israel is just sitting on the side lines thinking about itself. Or at least that's how you guys are describing the situation.

Israel should help, the Arabs should let them help. They're already in bed with the US in so many other ways.
I find it obtuse that you are picking apart Israel to solve the worlds problems, Its usually the contrary.

Israel is not going to risk the lives of its own people for a situation that is not an imminent concern. Just because U.S gives aid to Israel and the United States is prosperous because of it, does not mean that Israel jumps when asks how high. Each country has its own foreign policy strategy.

That being said, lets direct this conversation to Europe. Why not ask for more military intervention from the European neighbors. You don't think Rome is not at the edge of their seat now that ISIS is 500 miles from Rome? Where were they two years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies