Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Well, given how the compulsory nature of K-12 treats kids like prisoners, it makes sense they are fed similarly.

The underlying national goal of public K-12 education is to process kids through the educational incarceration system "for their own good." Slop served in a cafeteria is part and parcel of all large institutional settings, which is exactly what our public schools are.

As parents of the inmates, you can circumvent this by preparing quality food for your kids, same as prisoners getting packages and commissary money sent by their loved ones on the outside. You have a measure of individual control over their quality of life while confined in the Big House, so exercise it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
[quote=Mrs. Skeffington;38504062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What School Lunches Look Like In 20 Countries Around The World

The US school lunches are on par with Honduras and Djibouti.

Almost everywhere else, school lunches feature actual fresh fruit and veggies, as well as real meat. Compare that to canned food and unidentified 'meat product' on US students' trays.

Michelle Obama pushed for lower calorie/fat lunches, but now that just resulted in meager portions of the same terrible food.

Healthy food is necessary for healthy minds.

What are your thoughts on improving the quality of US school lunches? How do you think this should be addressed, if at all?[/quote]

Okay, the "lunch lady" is here to chime in, once again. School lunches in the U.S. vary widely, depending on the school district. I work as a cook in a jr./sr. high school in a suburban/rural Pennsylvania district. Our district has approximately 600 kids enrolled, Kindergarten through 12. We have a full kitchen staff to prepare and deliver food for the elementary school building (grades K through 6), and serve on premises at the jr./sr. high school (grades 7 through 12). We bake our whole wheat sandwich rolls on premises, and have a large salad bar available to students with salads and fresh vegetables. This salad bar includes fresh and canned fruit. Yesterday I prepared homemade chili for the students...with REAL ground beef. I chooped the onions and peppers (fresh). Cooked it in what I jokingly called my "cauldron" (a large built in vat). We serve chicken nuggets, true, but we also serve roast turkey (we bake the turkey breasts in the oven and slice/chop them) and pulled pork barbecue (ditto pork roasts). School made stromboli (we make the dough ourselves). We serve school made burritos (we mix the filling, stuff and foldl 'em ourselves). Our district school lunch program just had iits yearly review, and we passed with flying colors!!!!
Thank you Mrs S.
There are about 14,500 public school districts in the U.S. No two do lunch the same.

31.3% of school- age children are overweight/ obese in the US. Mississippi and Louisiana tie for the highest occurance of overweight/ obese children at 40%. Utah has the lowest at 22%.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Korea's, Japan's, and Brazil's food looking really delicious

Old 02-19-2015, 07:03 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I bet if you gave American kid's the French lunch - and it looks AWESOME to me, as an adult - they would recoil in horror.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dlBPLI6U1t...1.48.07+PM.png
OMG that FISH has a HEAD and BONES??!!! WAT??? FISH HAVE BONES??? IT'S STARING AT ME.

Don'r get me started on the whole artichoke. It will either A. Be untouched B. Be declared an alien vegetable C. be taken to be lobbed a la grenade at Henry in Phys. Ed. or D. Some kid will actually try to eat the entire thing like a potato and paramedics would be needed. The school would be sued for endangering children and shut down. The educational decay would cause the neighborhood to descend into violence and chaos. The Seventh seal would break and the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse would ride, screaming into the night, with artichokes for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies