Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
Screw paying my taxes if that's where my money is going.
The movie precious is what I speak of. Millions of households are similar to this movie.
Quote:
The movie precious. I don't know how that wasn't clear.
How was it not clear? Well, for one thing the movie is not exactly current. Also your grammar makes the meaning of your sentence unclear.

If you really want to convey that your are referencing a film, start by putting a comma separating the word 'movie' and the title of the film. Then use a capital letter to start the name of the film as it is a proper name. Italicize the name of the film as you would when citing any film, book, play, essay, or other written work, and finally put the year of the film's release in parentheses after the title.

So, instead of:

Quote:
The movie precious.
write:

The movie, Precious(2009).

But, to the point, I agree that the film is an indictment of the failure of the welfare state to solve endemic problems in America's poorest communities. Our tax money could be better spent teaching Americans to write properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Screw paying my taxes if that's where my money is going.
The movie precious is what I speak of. Millions of households are similar to this movie.
I don't think you comprehend the privilege you likely have in life. I'm guessing you're a white healthy guy born into a middle class or affluent family.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-linear View Post
We can start by not paying welfare moms to sit on their butt and pop out babies. Make them get a job or be in school to get welfare. If your kids starve because you refuse to work, well then maybe a DCFS visit is in order. How about benefits increase by 15% if you're enrolled in secondary education?
If you want to get good results then you give them choices, not apply force. Keep the existing system intact for them, but give them a batter one to choose to take part in. Both in terms of getting a job and a welfare system that is more functional. Out any job a step up economically from what they are getting, and offer more benefits but in a way that promotes a more functional outcome than is currently the case.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Precious?

Man...CD is going down the tubes at an incredibly fast pace.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 PM

963 posts, read 689,453 times
Good Grief!

Bet you got beat up in school a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How was it not clear? Well, for one thing the movie is not exactly current. Also your grammar makes the meaning of your sentence unclear.

If you really want to convey that your are referencing a film, start by putting a comma separating the word 'movie' and the title of the film. Then use a capital letter to start the name of the film as it is a proper name. Italicize the name of the film as you would when citing any film, book, play, essay, or other written work, and finally put the year of the film's release in parentheses after the title.

So, instead of:

write:

The movie, Precious(2009).

But, to the point, I agree that the film is an indictment of the failure of the welfare state to solve endemic problems in America's poorest communities. Our tax money could be better spent teaching Americans to write properly.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM

963 posts, read 689,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think you comprehend the privilege you likely have in life. I'm guessing you're a white healthy guy born into a middle class or affluent family.
Or maybe he has different values.

"If a fat ass woman will not work, she should not eat." (to paraphrase Paul)

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post

If you want to get good results then you give them choices, not apply force. Keep the existing system intact for them, but give them a batter one to choose to take part in. Both in terms of getting a job and a welfare system that is more functional. Out any job a step up economically from what they are getting, and offer more benefits but in a way that promotes a more functional outcome than is currently the case.
Which is basically keeping them on welfare - maybe increasing the benefits - if the federal government is to perform all of these tasks.
Have no fear...it would be contracted out to some Beltway bandit if was the case.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Good Grief!

Bet you got beat up in school a lot.
Only a couple of times. But it might satisfy you to know that it was mainly because I was the 'punk rock guy' in a mostly bBlack inner city High School that served students from a few notorious projects in the Bronx, and I mainly got jumped just because I was White.

I'm sure that fits your preferred narrative of race relations to a 'T'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies