Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:27 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times

Advertisements

Yes, this could have been posted in Entertainment but nowadays .. Everything is Political!

In case you're wondering .. the last word in the quote is not schitt in the original article.

Quote:
➻ BEST PICTURE

First, let me say that I'm tired of all of this talk about "snubs" — I thought for every one of [the snubs] there was a justifiable reason.

What no one wants to say out loud is that Selma is a well-crafted movie, but there's no art to it.

If the movie had been directed by a 60-year-old white male, I don't think that people would have been carrying on about it to the level that they were. And as far as the accusations about the Academy being racist?

Yes, most members are white males, but they are not the cast of Deliverance — they had to get into the Academy to begin with, so they're not cretinous, snaggletoothed hillbillies.

When a movie about black people is good, members vote for it. But if the movie isn't that good, am I supposed to vote for it just because it has black people in it?

I've got to tell you, having the cast show up in T-shirts saying "I can't breathe" [at their New York premiere] — I thought that stuff was offensive. Did they want to be known for making the best movie of the year or for stirring up schitt?
Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot 2015 - The Hollywood Reporter

Last edited by MrClose; 02-19-2015 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 AM
cyq

3 posts, read 3,116 times
Its more of a token. We will give you a place even though you did not earn it because we feel guilty for what someone did 175 years ago. LOL Its the drunk black lady that can not get fired in norther mostly white towns because she is a token of see we like blacks.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Yes, this could have been posted in Entertainment but nowadays .. Everything is Political!

In case you're wondering .. the last word in the quote is not schitt in the original article.

All the movie needed to do to add "art" is to have a white hero save the downtrodden Negroes at the end of the day, or to have blacks portrayed in a manner that look like they were their own worst enemies and their you have the making of "Art".

Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
I have a feeling Al Sharpton is going to shake them down to find out the identities of the voters.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:

ummm

Quote:
I've got to tell you, having the cast show up in T-shirts saying "I can't breathe" [at their New York premiere] — I thought that stuff was offensive. Did they want to be known for making the best movie of the year or for stirring up schitt?
how exactly was that offensive ????

Who ever this guy is, he is digging himself a deeper hole.

Every year, there are about 30 films that are actually up for consideration, that number gets trimmed down by voting and only one wins, so there is obviously a difference of opinion on which one is the best, there was no need for him to the statement he did.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyq View Post
Its more of a token. We will give you a place even though you did not earn it because we feel guilty for what someone did 175 years ago. LOL Its the drunk black lady that can not get fired in norther mostly white towns because she is a token of see we like blacks.
Selma happened 175 years ago ?????

Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:

This writer will be blacked balled from Hollywood for speaking the truth.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well yeah, in this day and age they should have won an Oscar just because they were Black.
It's only the "fair" thing to do nowadays.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
ummm

how exactly was that offensive ????

Who ever this guy is, he is digging himself a deeper hole.

Every year, there are about 30 films that are actually up for consideration, that number gets trimmed down by voting and only one wins, so there is obviously a difference of opinion on which one is the best, there was no need for him to the statement he did.
He is a she and she has every right to state an opinion, if that is okay with you??

Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well yeah, in this day and age they should have won an Oscar just because they were Black.
It's only the "fair" thing to do nowadays.
If "art" is subjective, and it is, and if the judges of "art" are all white, then its possible that what is considered as "art" to blacks does not get represented or rewarded in such a construct. Then you cry.....why do black people need a "black Oscar" award?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies