Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-linear View Post
Lets hear you theories. The increased sales argument doesn't wrk either. If you've got a pizza chain and you have twice as many orders to fill, then obviously you have to hire twice as many delivery drivers to meet demand. According to Forbes, the average restaurant franchise makes a profit of 86k annually, at a place I worked they spent approximately 3k per week on labor, so how in the hell can a company afford to double that cost, adding an extra 156k in labor expenses when there isn't even 156k left over in profit? Even if sales doubles, the net profit comes out to about 20k even without hiring extra labor (which is obviously unrealistic). Who gets the shaft? The franchisee. Why should the guy running the place make less then his employees?

1. Buy drones to deliver the pizza and fire the drivers
2. Have an automated system via phone, website that takes your order also take your credit/debit card payment and fire the person who currently answers the phone.
3. Implement a robotics system that will put the pizza together, run it through the oven, box it and transfer it to the drone for delivery, fire the guys making the pizza.
4. Have drones pick up the ingredients from the supplier to deliver to the store and put them away until they are needed, fire the truck driver that used to deliver your ingredients.

I've made my point I think. I worked at a VERY large company several years ago that I absolutely loved and enjoyed what I did. My plan was to retire from the place. When I started at the company, they had 60,000 employees world wide but most were here in the US. Between a tremendous amount of automation and a little bit of off-shoring, that company now has less than 8,000 employees and let me tell ya, I'm darn glad I held onto their stock. Which pizza franchise were you talking about? I got a couple of bills I'd like to invest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then they are probably not successful businesses or too small to have employees.
Not exactly, they could be small start-ups that will one day go on to be very successful. I couldn't have paid $15/hr to my first employees, but now, just a few years later everyone that works for me makes more than that. And those people who were with me in the beginning that stuck it out make six figures now.

I'm not at all opposed to minimum wage laws, but it's tough to do it on the Federal level. $15/hr isn't enough to survive on in NYC, but it's decent money in Tupelo Mississippi. I actually think it makes more sense for the states to come up with minimum wage laws and keep the feds out of it.

Oh God... I sound like a Republican.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
please explain?
Wal-Mart might very well be able to afford raises but the minimum wage laws some are pushing for would cover those that can't also.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:20 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, minimum wage has gone up many times but yet the wealth gap is at record levels. The problem is not the minimum wage.
You are going down the freeway. You are going 60 mph the other car is going 70 mph. You go from 60 to 65 mph. he goes from 70 to 77.5 mph. But my speed went up why aren't I keeping up with him?

The minimum wage needs to go up by the same percentage as the top went up just to stay even. If we want to close the gap then the minimum wage needs to go up faster in % year on year as the top does.

A $30 an hr minimum wage will close a lot of the gap from the last 30 years.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
You are going down the freeway. You are going 60 mph the other car is going 70 mph. You go from 60 to 65 mph. he goes from 70 to 77.5 mph. But my speed went up why aren't I keeping up with him?

The minimum wage needs to go up by the same percentage as the top went up just to stay even. If we want to close the gap then the minimum wage needs to go up faster in % year on year as the top does.

It will also close most of the small businesses in the country.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
It will also close most of the small businesses in the country.
No. It wont. Where do the small businesses get there money from? The wages paid to workers. If you increase wages then you increase demand.

Who cares about $0.01 on a $1,000 thing being made? A small business or a large corporation?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:

The problem there is the government welfare programs that created billions of dollars for the top. Go look, I complained about that over and over and I was mostly by myself and I was told by even those who claimed to dislike it that it had to be done. It didn't.

The way to now fix that is to tax all income the same. Wages or capital gains, it's all income and should be taxed at the same rate.

If you tell company A that is manufacturing widgets also manufactured in China that they have to raise their wages, the wages in China aren't going to go up also. Company A is then in a real competitive bind.

Quote:
No. It wont. Where do the small businesses get there money from? The wages paid to workers. If you increase wages then you increase demand.

Who cares about $0.01 on a $1,000 thing being made? A small business or a large corporation?
How do you force those getting the higher wages to buy the more expensive American product over the much cheaper Chinese one?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Fast food is probably not the best example. Some are simply finacial tools that require low wages to build wealth. For instance it has been said that McDonald is a realestate company that uses Hamburgers and low wages to make money in the realestate business.

Although McDonald's first opened its doors in 1954, it wasn't until 1956 after courting many an investor did Ray Kroc consider and implement an idea put forth by Sonneborn, to tap into the real estate market. Shortly after Sonnenborn made his pitch to the investors , the Franchise Realty Corporation, McDonald's Real Estate subsidiary was born.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/7353...estate-company

Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The problem there is the government welfare programs that created billions of dollars for the top. Go look, I complained about that over and over and I was mostly by myself and I was told by even those who claimed to dislike it that it had to be done. It didn't.

The way to now fix that is to tax all income the same. Wages or capital gains, it's all income and should be taxed at the same rate.
We've gone the rounds a time or two about this. I would ask that you go back and read my posts and think them over and think them through.
Quote:

If you tell company A that is manufacturing widgets also manufactured in China that they have to raise their wages, the wages in China aren't going to go up also. Company A is then in a real competitive bind.

How do you force those getting the higher wages to buy the more expensive American product over the much cheaper Chinese one?
The answer to both of these is really simple. You tax the dividends and capital gains paid by corporations at 110%. The stock holders tell the companies keep your money until you pay everyone working for you world wide US minimum wage. And the stock holders tell the corporations to only buy things made by workers at US minimum wage or higher.

So the company in China is going to be asked to pay its workers US minimum wage or they wont have their product bought and resold in the US by big corporations. If everyone has to pay the same minimum wage then the playing field is level for everyone.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
We've gone the rounds a time or two about this. I would ask that you go back and read my posts and think them over and think them through.
You need to think them through....as shown below.

Quote:
The answer to both of these is really simple. You tax the dividends and capital gains paid by corporations at 110%.
Corporations don't pay taxes, their customers do.

Quote:
The stock holders tell the companies keep your money until you pay everyone working for you world wide US minimum wage. And the stock holders tell the corporations to only buy things made by workers at US minimum wage or higher.
This is unicorns farting glitter.

Quote:
So the company in China is going to be asked to pay its workers US minimum wage or they wont have their product bought and resold in the US by big corporations. If everyone has to pay the same minimum wage then the playing field is level for everyone.
In which case China shuts off all imports into the U.S. causing a trade war which isn't in anyone's best interest. There are wonderful ideas and then there is reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies