Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 PM

39,194 posts, read 27,570,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
If they can't pass the cost of wages on to their costumers then yes.
If history is any guide, inflating the wage rate is a move that will serve only to weaken small businesses and cause entry-level workers to lose their jobs.

You have to understand that we are not talking about SKILLED workers or employees, these workers won't settle for minimum wage anyway. Their wage is driven by free market. we are also not talking about walmart.

The low skilled worker, (supermarket cashier for example) is highly replaceable. Businesses will cut their hours and force them to lose their jobs.

The Legislature must not add to the problems with a reckless, autopilot wage hike or else many entry-level employees throughout the nation are going to experience those unintended consequences first hand — by losing their jobs.

How about giving low skilled workers such as the supermarket cashier profit sharing of the company? Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:48 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If history is any guide, inflating the wage rate is a move that will serve only to weaken small businesses and cause entry-level workers to lose their jobs.

You have to understand that we are not talking about SKILLED workers or employees, these workers won't settle for minimum wage anyway. Their wage is driven by free market. we are also not talking about walmart.

The low skilled worker, (supermarket cashier for example) is highly replaceable. Businesses will cut their hours and force them to lose their jobs.

The Legislature must not add to the problems with a reckless, autopilot wage hike or else many entry-level employees throughout the nation are going to experience those unintended consequences first hand — by losing their jobs.

How about giving low skilled workers such as the supermarket cashier profit sharing of the company? Lol
I'm more looking at the macro rather than the micro economic position.

We've had interest rate falling over time from the 1980's on.

We've had the total debt in America going up over the same time frame. We are at over 350% of GDP of total debt. We have been trading a reduction if future consumption for an increase in present consumption for more than 30 years.

We are in for a lot of pain. A lot of it. Yes the bottom will hurt by a large enough increase in the minimum wage to do something about the debt we face. But they will also hurt by not doing anything about it too.

The size of increase that I've been looking at is enough to cut the value of our debts in America in half. That is measured in % GDP.

Most people wont have a tooth pulled without painkillers But I've learned the hard way why you don't let rotten teeth just sit. I got valve damage in my hart from rotten teeth. So I'd have a tooth pulled without painkillers. But I'll take the painkillers thank you very much.

We've got rotten teeth in the economy. Do we pull them or do we let them damage us farther.

Rotten teeth:

Total debt at 350% of GDP.

Our trading partners will work at a loss to buy our debt (money for international trade). And some of them are willing to work at $1 a day.

These problems need to be addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies