Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 08:00 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
@Spartacus 713, shiftymh

I know that but I'm just relaying thoughts from people that truly believe we deserve repartations. Many people believe that the reparations don't have to be monetary. I'm not sure what else it could be. I left the debate alone after that. However, if we do get reparations, how much should I invest and how much should I throw at my student loans? I've also been eyeing the 2015 F150.
Take a look at what your insurance will cost you!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:00 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The fallacy of your argument is the assumption that realizing that one is black is akin to assuming that ALL WHITES ARE RACIST. One can realize their blackness and also realize that all whites are not racist and hence not always assume that when a white person does something negative.....that it must be racism.......
What I said was not a fallacy.

What is left in America that Blacks have not called racist?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yep, most would spend it on bling.
You jealous?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If they believe this, then it only means they are delusional. Looking for something for nothing. Slaves were considered nothing more than a resource just like the cotton they picked. It was nothing more than a small component of the Western Civilization which the USA was built upon.
Not that these men were any great shakes and the men they used where paid slave wages and endured dangerous working conditions, They invested great sums of their own money to make this country what it is today and guess what, no slaves were used.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You jealous?
LoL, maybe, prolly the only time I would wish I was black.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
True. But the same can be said about those who insist on generational accumulation. One could view the Census records for 1790 and each decade to extrapolate. The problem being I think except for those with an agenda no one is foolish enough to believe a comprehensive or substantial generational accumulation has actually occurred. Note it is not it did not occur among families already wealthy and who have managed to maintain or grow their status from the 18th-19th century but what would be considered the majority of the property holding yeoman class this did not occur.

I think if one looks at the example of Thomas Jefferson's descendants one sees what I refer to.
Here is an argument being made based upon housing discrimination....since home ownership is where most peoples wealth exists. There are multiple grounds and era's upon which the argument can be made.

RACE - The Power of an Illusion . For Teachers | PBS

Old 02-20-2015, 10:41 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
I do not get how whites would be "punished". Do you mean like being drawn and quartered?
If a white person can prove that no one in their family history has ever owned a slave, do they get off the hook? Or must whitey pay, just for being white?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
There are two types of reparations. One is non-monetary and the other is monetary. The reason we cannot get the latter is because we cannot get the former. The prerequisite of monetary reparations is linking socioeconomic racial inequality to the history of racial oppression in this nation. In other words, the nation has to believe that the socioeconomic inequality that exists today is the results of past wrongs.

To admit this linkage, what I call “the truth”, would create a moral dilemma that would then give rationalization for financial reparations. However, the reality is that the masses do not believe the socioeconomic gaps that exist between blacks and whites (the longest continuous groups in America besides Native Americans) are the aftermath of historical oppression. Rather, society believes that these gaps are caused by flaws endemic to the black race and or culture, relative to the white race and or culture.

America believes that there is a lazy gene, irresponsible gene, bad choice making gene and or lazy culture, a culture of irresponsibility and a culture of bad choice making, that is the root of inequality. Whether it is race and or culture, America believes American history has nothing to do with its origins and that it is an endemic trait, not exclusive to black people, but particularly pronounced in black people. Hence, Americans do not accept the argument for reparations because of their belief in white supremacy over blacks. America believes that making efforts to create equality is akin to efforts to make 10 year old into responsible adults, when they just do not have the capacity to operate at a level equal to adults.

I mean, the masses of Americans seem to think that the black masses are children. An example of that is this assumption that our parents/leaders are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and that, instead of thinking on our own, like children we just follow along with these authority figures tell us to do. Then they assume that we do not know what is best for us politically, because we vote 90% for one party and not the other. We are not smart enough to know what it best for us, but they know what is best for us, by inference.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No.

A black person born in 1991 received the exact same American benefits as an immigrant from Ukraine, Thailand, Vietnam or anywhere else that arrived in 1991.

Reparations should have been paid 150 years ago when slavery ended.

I should not pay a dime of extra taxes for something none of my ancestors had anything to do with.

My father grew up fairly poor and my mother's parents grew up fairly poor. What my parents had, they earned. What I have, I earned.
The bold is not true. A black person born in 1991 was born in to a system in this country that views him/her as inferior. This is definately not the case for an immigrant from Ukarine. And it is not the case for immigrants from Thailand or Vietnam since Asians are seen as "model minorities" and better than other ethnicities, especially black people.

A poor black child born in 1991 would be more likely to have been associaeted with being a "crack baby" back then and had a high likelihood of being born to a teen mother. He/she would go to inferior schools where teachers would think (and I will add probably liberal teachers) that he /she had it so rough and coudn't learn. If he/she was bright, they would be less likely to be referred to honors glasses or talented/gifted programs because blackness is not associated with giftedness like it is with Asian students and white students.

You are ignoring the fact that chattel slavery of blacks in this country has set the cultural attitudes and norms about what people can do and what they are capable of and that those attitudes persist to this day. You don't want to admit it but just because you don't admit it, doesn't mean that it isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So if a person with light skin can prove genealogically that they have a slave ancestor, would that person get reparations?

And if not, how would it be determined how much melanin content in your skin is adequate to cause someone to be qualified to receive reparations under your approach?
You do realize there are plenty of "light skin" black people right??

My dad is light skin and his grandmother could have easily passed for white, but she was a descendant of slaves in VA and I even know who owned her mother/father.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Here is an argument being made based upon housing discrimination....since home ownership is where most peoples wealth exists. There are multiple grounds and era's upon which the argument can be made.

RACE - The Power of an Illusion . For Teachers | PBS
Patently avoiding the example of Jefferson's descendants because they do not fit the hypothesis is poor research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies