Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 08:22 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
It's good for a laugh at the ignorance and irrationality of climate science deniers. When even science resources meant for the level of an 8 year old show how just how ignorant and irrational science-deniers are, it's even funnier.
Really? Doesn't it just sort of make you sad and frustrated? Like the anti-vaccination bunch?

I don't get denialists. Nothing in my education ever led me to believe "I think I'll just pretend the science isn't real" is the way to go. Or maybe it's the slavish devotion to the Party. I don't get that either. If people like Palin and Bachmann and Inhofe don't make people give their heads a shake and say "Waitaminit, these people are idiots!" what will?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes, I have wondered the same thing for a couple of years now..... Interglacial periods last from 15,000 to 20,000 years and we are 15,000 years into the present one.
then did it ever occur to you that perhaps we are not yet ready to start towards a period of glaciation yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
It would be funny if it really started to cool off and we went into another little ice age.
or a major one.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Really? Doesn't it just sort of make you sad and frustrated? Like the anti-vaccination bunch?

I don't get denialists. Nothing in my education ever led me to believe "I think I'll just pretend the science isn't real" is the way to go. Or maybe it's the slavish devotion to the Party. I don't get that either. If people like Palin and Bachmann and Inhofe don't make people give their heads a shake and say "Waitaminit, these people are idiots!" what will?
You're right, it's not 'funny'. It's mind blowingly bizarre.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
This is the 4th brutal winter since 2009 for much of the US. These long brutal winters use more fossil fuels, especially heating oil.

I don't care if it's 1 degree warmer in Siberia or an ice cap is melting (the weather stations in these regions read higher than actual anyway due to age). The world could use the extra potable water and the US could use the warming. I think we should encourage pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere through tax credits. Ever feel how comfortable and lively it is in a greenhouse?
This is a joke, right?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:44 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,996 times
Quote:
This might be above your head:

NASA's Climate Kids

http://www.ioos.noaa.gov/funding/fy1...14_2003949.pdf

tl;dr advocate man-made global warming or no federal money for you.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:06 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

How unthinkably shocking it is that the NOAA needs money to exist.
This is the greatest scandal in the history of science.

Incredible find!!
Keep seeking the truth, no matter what you discover.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:21 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Could happen. All we'd need is a few strategic volcanic eruptions putting enough ash high in the atmosphere to block the sun or a few nuclear warheads.
Well the 'good' news is that both crop shortages caused by climate change and the emergence of China and India as global powers as well as their latitudes means that a nuclear war could definitely happen.

Hot weather has been proven to make people more aggressive, the countries were at war in 1962, and the Chinese apparently already think it would be a good idea to destabilize India so that they can seize Southern Tibet.

China To Engage In 'Six Inevitable Wars' Involving U.S., Japan, India And More, According To Pro-Government Chinese Newspaper

Both countries currently have over 100 nuclear weapons at their disposal.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/...pakistan-11956

Of course, this is if India and Pakistan don't end up in a war before that happens... another cheerful outcome of religious and political tensions combined with climate change:

http://www.ibtimes.com/india-pakista...report-1503604

Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

NOAA aren't 'advocating man-made global warming'. Quite the opposite. Guess your own link was "tl;dr" (too long; didn't read) because it was way above your head? That's why I linked to the kiddies climate science website for you.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM

519 posts, read 597,862 times
Quote:
NOAA aren't 'advocating man-made global warming'. Quite the opposite. Guess your own link was "tl;dr" (too long; didn't read) because it was way above your head? That's why I linked to the kiddies climate science website for you.
Quite the opposite??

from the PDF:

NOAA Strategic Plan:
1. Long-term mission goal: Climate Adaptation and Mitigation
An informed society anticipating and responding to climate and its impacts.
Projected future climate-related changes include increased global temperatures, melting
sea ice and glaciers, rising sea levels, increased frequency of extreme precipitation events,
acidification of the oceans, modifications of growing seasons, changes in storm frequency
and intensity, air quality, alterations in species' ranges and migration patterns, earlier
snowmelt, increased drought, and altered river flow volumes.

These changes already have profound implications for society, underscoring the need for
scientific information to aid decision makers develop and evaluate options that mitigate the
human causes of climate change and adapt to foreseeable climate impacts.

At the same
time, the interdependence of ecosystems and economies makes coastal and Great Lakes
communities increasingly vulnerable to chronic and potentially catastrophic impacts of
natural and human-induced hazards, including climate change, oil spills, harmful algal
blooms and pathogen outbreaks, hypoxia, and severe weather hazards.

===============

The bottom line is there is a disturbing push by our gov't (using taxpayer money) to promote the idea that global warming is occurring. If you go against this (or can't prove GW), no money for you. This is what causes the corruption, the inaccurate aging weather stations to purposely remain this way, the manipulating of temp data, plus any other factor causing higher temp readings that may be unknown to the public, etc etc.

I know, I know, conspiracy theories blah blah blah....no, it's common sense.

Last edited by Howard Beale; 02-21-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post

I've given up on persuading the climate change deniers. You can't force someone to accept facts. I was at a museum recently and I overheard a mother telling her child that the dinosaur bones weren't real and that the devil put them here to deceive us into believing the World is more than 5000 years old.

What can you do to change the mind of someone that ignorant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies