Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:07 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Racist

thanks man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:30 PM

920 posts, read 634,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It impacts voter turnout...

http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/665966.pdf

News version.

Report: Voter ID laws reduce turnout more among African American and younger voters - The Washington Post

Why does the right want to disenfranchise voters? Could it be that the group disenfranchised tends to vote Democrat?

If the issue truly was about "disenfranchised voters." why are there no grassroots democrat groups seeking out these "disenfranchised voters" and assisting them in obtaining photo identification.

Democrats seem so passionate about their desire to help people, yet they do nothing when it comes to actually doing something that would benefit these so called "disenfranchised voters." Just think, instead of going door to door and taking busloads of people to the polls to vote, they could expend that same energy getting these people to locations where they could actually get a photo ID, so that they could actually participate in society and shed that victimhood of being "disenfranchised."

Of course, we all know the answer to that question, don't we.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:34 PM

156 posts, read 119,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Why would Republicans support such laws when they know the impact is to eliminate legitimate voters? The GOP is quite pathetic and transparent. Under the guise of going after illegitimate voters, of which there are none, they want to make it harder for non-supporters to vote.

Frankly, anything Republicans want, is not good for the country, and must be opposed.
You think there is NO voter fraud? At all? You must be on the Kool-Aid harder than most.

I'll be the first to admit that it's not a huge issue. My support for Voter ID laws comes from more of a theoretically point of view. We are require to prove identification for everything. We have to identify ourselves to drive cars. We have to identify ourselves to purchase firearms. We have to identify ourselves to apply for federal and state assistance. We have to identify ourselves to apply for jobs. We have to identify ourselves for virtually EVERYthing that we do. Yet liberals have a fundamental objection to identifying ourselves to vote? Why is that? Why is it so much to ask to prove who you are....and where you live? Our electoral system at the presidential level is state based. Proving these things are important. Further, It's not a difficult task and if you truly believe that this is a task too onerous to complete in order to vote maybe once annually....then you probably aren't concerned either way.

Another thing that baffles me about the left is your intellectual inconsistency. Examples as follows:

1. You profess to support free choice, but not school choice. Liberals are pro-choice basically only in terms of abortion. You don't support choice with regards to labor unions. You don't support choice with regards to schools. You don't support choice at all...you support your agenda.

2. You people kick, scream, and evoke the name of the Koch brothers on nearly every post like Tourette's, yet you praise Steyer, Soros, and heavy union donations. Republicans may like big money and corporations but at least we have the balls to admit it. You losers can't even look at yourselves in the mirror.

3. You support mandatory waiting periods and identification protocol for buying firearms...a constitutional right. Yet you're APPALLED to have anyone even suggest showing so much as a valid ID card to vote.

4. You denounce corporate welfare yet support billion dollar loans to the green energy sector.

Does none of this trouble you? Liberals stand for nothing...Literally nothing with exception to intellectual inconsistency and doublespeak to secure votes.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM

549 posts, read 456,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
If the issue truly was about "disenfranchised voters." why are there no grassroots democrat groups seeking out these "disenfranchised voters" and assisting them in obtaining photo identification.

Democrats seem so passionate about their desire to help people, yet they do nothing when it comes to actually doing something that would benefit these so called "disenfranchised voters." Just think, instead of going door to door and taking busloads of people to the polls to vote, they could expend that same energy getting these people to locations where they could actually get a photo ID, so that they could actually participate in society and shed that victimhood of being "disenfranchised."

Of course, we all know the answer to that question, don't we.
In the very beginning of this thread, I posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
I want to see one eligible voter who is disenfranchised by the need to prove his/her identity.
We are 3 days and 20 pages later... no such an example.

Don't hold your breadth for liberals to admit that they hate voter ID laws, because fraudulent votes help them to win elections. Truth is not their strong side.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM

156 posts, read 119,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
apparently someone may not have English as a first language, Disfranchisement (also called disenfranchisement) is the revocation of the right of suffrage (the right to vote) of a person or group of people, or through practices, prevention of a person exercising the right to vote. Disfranchisement may be accomplished explicitly by law or implicitly through requirements applied in a discriminatory fashion, intimidation, or by placing unreasonable requirements on voters for registration or voting.

Regardless if you think or don't think the requirements are unreasonable (your opinion on the matter doesn't matter). The fact that the law would be applied in a discriminatory fashion (by impacting the poorest and people of a specific race. . .)makes it Disfranchisement.

yeah, i'm sure people like you said the same thing about the laws having people answer questions about the Constitution . . THEY COULD OF STUDIED.

how nice of you.

Any law designed not to address an issue (if voter fraud was a concern, Absentee is far more risky/fraudulent) --> but to stop people from voting is disfranchisement. Regardless if "unreasonable" in your book is not the same as unreasonable in someone else.
I don't disagree with that definition and I see nothing in this that disputes what I've said.

Quote:
Disfranchisement may be accomplished explicitly by law or implicitly through requirements applied in a discriminatory fashion, intimidation, or by placing unreasonable requirements on voters for registration or voting.
Please explain in detail to me why people (the poorest/certain race/etc) can't get an Identification card. Is proving who you are unreasonable? Is proving that you live in the state you wish to vote in unreasonable? Is it difficult? Is it cosly? Is it a challenge? The answer to all of those questions is no......a resounding no.

Your support of no voter ID laws via the definition supplied doesn't hold up. I don't think anyone could make the statement, "having an identification card is an unreasonable request" with a straight face. If people were forced to pass literacy tests, tests of US history, tests of our political process....I'd agree with you. Having an ID takes a room temperature IQ and the gumption to get to the DMV...Far from "requirements applied in a discriminatory fashion, intimidation, or by placing unreasonable requirements."

Last edited by TRICITIESTITAN; 02-23-2015 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is no such thing as "impossible to forge." If you believe that, then you are a perfect victim for a forgery scam. Also, I am still waiting for actual evidence where in person voter fraud happened that a photo ID would have prevented.
Did you watch the video I posted in post #109? I suspect you did and that is the reason that you are reaching to the point of embarrassing yourself to defend not having to show ID to vote.

Secure features are indeed very hard to forge when it comes to ID. Will that stop someone from trying? Of course not.

If you saw the video in post #109, then you wouldn't be writing this: "Also, I am still waiting for actual evidence where in person voter fraud happened that a photo ID would have prevented." That video would have answered your question quite nicely.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Did you watch the video I posted in post #109? I suspect you did and that is the reason that you are reaching to the point of embarrassing yourself to defend not having to show ID to vote.

Secure features are indeed very hard to forge when it comes to ID. Will that stop someone from trying? Of course not.

If you saw the video in post #109, then you wouldn't be writing this: "Also, I am still waiting for actual evidence where in person voter fraud happened that a photo ID would have prevented." That video would have answered your question quite nicely.
No, I don't watch any videos that people post on here, they often times are nothing more than conspiracy theories and people trying to spoon feed others. So I make it a point of never watching any video anyone posts.

Does this video have written information that backs up the claims it makes?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
No, I don't watch any videos that people post on here, they often times are nothing more than conspiracy theories and people trying to spoon feed others. So I make it a point of never watching any video anyone posts.

Does this video have written information that backs up the claims it makes?
Just watch the video. It will very nicely answer your questions.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Just watch the video. It will very nicely answer your questions.
No thanks. Let me know if you have a link of a written article that verifies the video. In case you missed it, what NC has passed with their voter ID laws is fine. Though that only has an effect on in person voter fraud, and does nothing to affect any other form of voter fraud.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
No thanks. Let me know if you have a link of a written article that verifies the video. In case you missed it, what NC has passed with their voter ID laws is fine. Though that only has an effect on in person voter fraud, and does nothing to affect any other form of voter fraud.
Ummm...if you weren't so terrified of clicking on the link, you would also see that it is part of an article.

So...because other voting fraud exists besides in person voting fraud, you think that no one should ever have to show ID to vote? Wow! That's really screwed up.

Let's extend your logic to other parts of life. For example, people shouldn't have to show valid ID when doing an in person banking transaction because online banking fraud happens.

Some people still pay for things using personal checks. They are asked for a photo ID when doing so. You think that shouldn't happen because IDs can be faked.

People shouldn't have to show ID to by alcohol because any ID is easy to fake.

Some stores ask for photo ID when paying with a credit card. Online credit card fraud happens so no one should ever have to show ID when using a credit card.

I belong to an HMO. When I have lab work done, pick up a prescription or see a doctor, when I show my health plan card I'm asked for a photo ID. You think that I shouldn't have to do that because people can get fake IDs.

Anything else that I have missed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies