Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times

Advertisements

Detroit-Area Pediatrician Refuses To Care For Lesbian Couple’s Baby « CBS Detroit

"Jami and Krista Contreras ... brought their 6-day-old baby to Eastlake Pediatrics in Roseville for a checkup. But after waiting for their newborn’s first checkup, Dr. Vesna Roi refused to see them. Another doctor told the couple that Roi decided she couldn’t treat their baby because they are lesbians."

Dr. Roi later wrote them a letter (kind of) explaining and apologizing. I guess that makes it all better:

"After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that I would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationships that I normally do with my patients ... I should have spoken with you directly that day ... Please know that I believe that God gives us free choice and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice."

Should doctors be able to discriminate and not treat patients (or their children) on the basis of sexual orientation like the law allows them to do in many states such as Michigan? Or should gay people - like black people or Christian people - be protected under anti-discrimination laws?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Doctors should be able to but I would never have a doctor like this as my personal doctor. If I was this couple I would be glad to know his feelings now than down the road.

I would be worried I would tell him something he didn't approve of and I wouldn't get proper treatment.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM

677 posts, read 653,619 times
Sickening that a doctor would refuse to care for a child like this. I understand that under the draconic state law she is protected, but she should lose her license for failing to live up to her hypocratic oath. In her case hyporcritic oath.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Does the "good doctor" refuse to treat the children of all sinners, or does she pick and choose which sinners children she will treat?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Doctors provide a service in exchange for money. Thus, they should be free to accept or refuse business based on whatever criteria they wish. I think it's dumb to turn down paying customers based on an externality that has no bearing on the service being performed, but I am a libertarian, and I believe in voluntary association...INCLUDING BUSINESS. The free market excels at punishing bad actors in the private business sphere, and everyone elft to their own devices would likely result in these two women giving that doctor all manner of well-deserved negative publicity, thus harming her future revenue based on her own voluntary choice. And for every one doctor out there unwilling to "form the relationship" with these women, probably a dozen are not only willing, but overjoyed at stealing some easy market share.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I would love for this doctor to point out where in her religious texts she is told that she cannot treat the child of a gay or lesbian couple. Can she also not treat families that do not follow her religious beliefs? What about - gasp - atheists?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Sickening that a doctor would refuse to care for a child like this. I understand that under the draconic state law she is protected, but she should lose her license for failing to live up to her hypocratic oath. In her case hyporcritic oath.
Someone doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. HINT: That person is quoted in this post.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Free to choose for all parties concerned.

Isnt that what most Liberals are about?

Pro-Choice?

Or is that only for convictions that you hold?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
The Christian thing to do is this: Do not take this out on the child. The child didn't do anything wrong.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Detroit-Area Pediatrician Refuses To Care For Lesbian Couple’s Baby « CBS Detroit

"Jami and Krista Contreras ... brought their 6-day-old baby to Eastlake Pediatrics in Roseville for a checkup. But after waiting for their newborn’s first checkup, Dr. Vesna Roi refused to see them. Another doctor told the couple that Roi decided she couldn’t treat their baby because they are lesbians."

Dr. Roi later wrote them a letter (kind of) explaining and apologizing. I guess that makes it all better:

"After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that I would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationships that I normally do with my patients ... I should have spoken with you directly that day ... Please know that I believe that God gives us free choice and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice."

Should doctors be able to discriminate and not treat patients (or their children) on the basis of sexual orientation like the law allows them to do in many states such as Michigan? Or should gay people - like black people or Christian people - be protected under anti-discrimination laws?
Private practice doctors can pick and chose on who to see.

For whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies