Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
When did $15/hr become a "high wage?"

when labor union wages are tied to minimum wages so the $15 minium wage would amount to a raise to every union worker also. so its not the 3% that get a raise but more like the 60% of the population that also gets a raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:18 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Minimum wage is irrelevant. Raise it to $50 an hour, my only request is you do it slowly so business's can adjust. You'll still only be able to buy what your labor is worth for one hour. The dollar represents the value of your labor, the value of your labor isn't going to change simply becsue you changed the dollar amount.
So why isn't the minimum wage still $1.75/hour like it was when I first started working?

Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
when labor union wages are tied to minimum wages so the $15 minium wage would amount to a raise to every union worker also. so its not the 3% that get a raise but more like the 60% of the population that also gets a raise.
See this is a perfect example of astroturfed information. Basically a small % of labor union wages are tied to minimum wage. A VERY small % near as I can tell. The astroturf folks bring it up like every single one is, turn it into some union plot, and spread the lie.

Thanks for misinforming people brownbagg. Im sure somewhere someone at ALEC is pointing towards this bit if lie being spread as gospel by people, and getting a bonus on their numbers this quarter.

Oh, and 60% will get a raise? OMG I had no idea that every single working age adult was in a union. OMG!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So why isn't the minimum wage still $1.75/hour like it was when I first started working?
Because its never been 1.75/hr?

1.60, and $2.00 sure....in the early 70's

Old 02-23-2015, 01:43 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yup. This is the over looked statistic. About 25% of American workers make $10.00/hour or less. That is pretty pathetic in 2015 America. Aren't we supposed to be an "exceptional" nation?
Not when we have global wage arbitrage...

Old 02-23-2015, 01:46 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
See this is a perfect example of astroturfed information. Basically a small % of labor union wages are tied to minimum wage. A VERY small % near as I can tell. The astroturf folks bring it up like every single one is, turn it into some union plot, and spread the lie.

Thanks for misinforming people brownbagg. Im sure somewhere someone at ALEC is pointing towards this bit if lie being spread as gospel by people, and getting a bonus on their numbers this quarter.

Oh, and 60% will get a raise? OMG I had no idea that every single working age adult was in a union. OMG!
Actually, while not 60%, a large number of working Americans will get a raise once the market recovers from the interference of raising the minimum wage. They'll go back to making whatever percentage over minimum wage they are making now - assuming, of course, that the economic interference doesn't push their employers over the edge and make it more affordable for them to automate or outsource than it is to keep their employees. Of course, that raise won't matter, because raising the minimum wage to $xx amount will effectively make $xx amount worth exactly what minimum wage is worth now. But for some reason, you all want to ignore history and pretend that if we can just raise the minimum wage this one last time, it will fix the problems of minimum wage earners - even though it never has before.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Unions are a small percentage of Americans these days, not 60%.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Because its never been 1.75/hr?

1.60, and $2.00 sure....in the early 70's
Yeah, I'm 63 years old.

I started working in the late 60s.

Excuse me if I didn't quite remember the exact amount from almost 50 years ago...

Old 02-23-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, while not 60%, a large number of working Americans will get a raise once the market recovers from the interference of raising the minimum wage. They'll go back to making whatever percentage over minimum wage they are making now - assuming, of course, that the economic interference doesn't push their employers over the edge and make it more affordable for them to automate or outsource than it is to keep their employees. Of course, that raise won't matter, because raising the minimum wage to $xx amount will effectively make $xx amount worth exactly what minimum wage is worth now. But for some reason, you all want to ignore history and pretend that if we can just raise the minimum wage this one last time, it will fix the problems of minimum wage earners - even though it never has before.
You know what? It might if we tied it to inflation and productivity. IE if inflation goes up 2%, and productivity goes up 6%, we give a 4% raise.

I know crazy talk, right? We should just let inflation inflate it away til those minimum wage people feel enough pain to improve their lot by Golly! Right? (sarcasm)

Old 02-23-2015, 02:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Are we being astroturfed over minimum wage?
Of course. Do you really think part-time, minimum-wage workers would risk attending all of these protests set up in various cities when they know they're likely to be fired for missing work or if they call in sick but are seen on TV protesting?

How to kill jobs & close doors — a minimum-wage warning to New York

Boom times for rent-a-mobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies