Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 PM

428 posts, read 450,609 times

Advertisements

South Is More Racist Than The North, Study Finds

I have heard people say this before, but it is surprising to see studies starting to say the same thing. Any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2015, 06:11 PM

19 posts, read 27,073 times
Well my family moved out of NY when I was 15 to CT, and I have to say that when we moved it was def a culture shock. Everyday, I was reminded of the fact that I was african american and my skin completion and hair texture was always topic of discussion because I wasn't super dark and happened to have longer hair. I always got the "you must not be 100% black because your skin isn't as dark and your hair isn't as tough". For years I always told people that I felt like the reason why dating was increasingly difficult for me was due the fact that I was black and lived in CT. People always looked at me like I was crazy and even told me that it wasn't true. Now at 29, I live in the DMV for less than 2 years and I've been on more dates here in less than 2 years than the 12 years I lived in CT. I always felt out of place in CT and couldn't wait to leave, although I was lucky enough to meet a few nice people while living in CT. I also went to college in Mass. and I remember another student who was also from CT, saying to a friend of mine who happened to be white "how can you be friends with her? she's black!"....Not everybody is racist, but the atmosphere is very different from DMV and even when I visited NC...just saying.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post

I have heard people say this before, but it is surprising to see studies starting to say the same thing. Any thoughts?
Your link disagrees with your title.

Your title says that the north is more racist. Your link says the south is more racist per the study.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
From my experience, having lived in both the South and the North, racism exists in both regions but in different forms.

In the South, people are accepting of racial minorities as individuals (i.e. the nice "colored" cleaning lady or the state athletic champ) but not large groups (the NAACP, Urban League, etc.)

In the North, people are accepting of racial minorities as groups (i.e. "The African American Vote" or The Harlem Boy's Choir) but not individuals (the minority couple that wants to buy a house on our block!)

I could be wrong. Just an observation.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Boston, MA is well-known to be an openly racist city. Last time I checked, it is located in the Northeastern United States.

This link is only a casual source to browse. For full-throated research, google it and see for yourself from the plethora of other sources available.

A Look Back at Boston

This Is Why People Think Boston Is a Racist City - Boston Magazine | Boston Magazine

Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
The study did not measure racial hostility. It asked people (not only whites) to rank various population groups for intelligence, industriousness and trustworthiness on a scale of 1 to 100. One item gleaned from that data was that non-blacks rate blacks lower than their own groups on these criteria by an average of 15 points. And people in states with large black populations (Southern states) tend to rate them lower by larger margins.

This Study Said the South Is More Racist Than the North | Mother Jones

Old 04-06-2015, 09:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post

The most racist people I have ever encountered were in Boston and LA.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The most racist people I have ever encountered were in Boston and LA.
Are you black? Didn't think so.

I'm from New York. I've lived on the East Coast and do extensive national travel for work. The South takes the cake for being most racist in this country. It's not even close.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
I had always lived in the south, Its always been a black white thing, they tolerated each other but wasn't exactly friendly. Then i moved to detriot, the south had nothing on detriot, they hated everybody, itialian american, jewish american, chinatown, it wasn't just black white, it was everybody against everybody

so yes the north that i saw was 300% more racist than the south

Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I had always lived in the south, Its always been a black white thing, they tolerated each other but wasn't exactly friendly. Then i moved to detriot, the south had nothing on detriot, they hated everybody, itialian american, jewish american, chinatown, it wasn't just black white, it was everybody against everybody

so yes the north that i saw was 300% more racist than the south
....you clearly do not understand the meaning of racism, even based on your own experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies