Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Religious zealots....cripes, it beggars the imagination how these people go about their daily lives surrounded by so many distractions.
Many of the leaders of the abolition movement were religious zealots.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Nice try, but no . The boy and girl scouts can prove that because homosexuality goes against their core message. A bakery has no core message other than baking food for money. They are also in the business for profit whereas the boy scouts are not.
Actually the girl scouts have drawn ire from many conservative groups because they are completely open and accepting of gay scouts and leaders. They have non-discrimination pacts and push diversity.

The boy scouts have now accepted any gay scouts and many regions are quickly passing new rules to allow gay scout leaders.

It doesn't go against their core message. Their core message has nothing to do with gay or straight. It's fine for the girls and a controversy within the boys.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Here we go again and you continue to throw out false claims. Christian's have values we follow. There are those who wish for Christians to compromise our values and perhaps rewrite the bible for your suiting.

Christians are up beat and we choose to look at the positive in this short life we have her on earth. We reach out to the poor and help those in need. We are digging wells in Africa and showing someone how to grow crops in SA.
We cater to our homeless and poor her in our back yard. Sinners is our business!

With this responsibility, there is ethics we follow in business as well. One should be able to choose what kind if business Christian business wish to engage. As posted if anyone Gay or not, Christian or not, does not feel comfortable in business take your dollars else where.
You follow values, yet selectively apply them .

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 02-22-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Actually the girl scouts have drawn ire from many conservative groups because they are completely open and accepting of gay scouts and leaders. They have non-discrimination pacts and push diversity.

The boy scouts have now accepted any gay scouts and many regions are quickly passing new rules to allow gay scout leaders.

It doesn't go against their core message. Their core message has nothing to do with gay or straight. It's fine for the girls and a controversy within the boys.
The Supreme Court said that when they ruled in their favor however.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:23 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Default Good Try!

Quote:
You follow values, yet selectively apply them .
No sir, that would not be Godly. Most people who are believers are not wishie / washie on this point. That is the reason why the Gay community is up set with the Church, because people will not sway to the dark side.

But our hand is always out for Sinners and people who want to change their lives!

Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
No sir, that would not be Godly. Most people who are believers are not wishie / washie on this point. That is the reason why the Gay community is up set with the Church, because people will not sway to the dark side.

But our hand is always out for Sinners and people who want to change their lives!
Most Church folks are far from what I would call "Godly". If these people have issues with sin than they wouldn't bake cakes for any number of things considered a biblical sin. Including pagan festivals, divorced people getting married, Baby show cakes for babies born out of wedlock, etc etc etc. They however only deny gay people getting married cakes. Of which isn't really a sin either. It's funny how acting out on homosexuality is considered a sin, and the bakers take no issue with that. However, something no mentioned in the bible as a sin is considered sinful by them and not allowed. So like I said before, "Cherry picking".

Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
About homosexuals and business

Just hypothetically...WITHOUT HATE SPEECH.
A same sex couple, Lenny & Bill (for example) are shopping around for caterers ( etc... ) for their up-coming wedding and they meet with one business geek who tells them that because he is a devout follower of the flying spaghetti monster, he can not do business with homosexuals. OK, so Lenny & Bill must go & find somebody who will do business with a homosexual couple. Now my take on all this is that there are LOTS of service businesses in existence and I'm certain that Lenny & Bill could find somebody who is willing to make the $$$ and not worry about any religious bias, and most people (I believe) would simply let it go and not hire a lawyer & make a big deal out of it. However some people insist on making a huge stink about it because they have been discriminated. Problem here is the fact that the LAW can never dictate the intent of anyone's heart. So why bother, If I were to run a bar, and put a sign in the door saying IRISH ONLY, and if you are not IRISH don't ask to be served here, you are not welcome.
LOL. so you honestly think that it's OK to discriminate against customers in the 21st century?!!! Discrimination against any kind is thankfully outlawed by thoughtful lawmakers who listened to the uproar created by the citizens who endured such discrimination. You tend to forget that NOT every community has a large amount of bakeries, especially WEDDING CAKE bakeries in their communities. In my city, there are only 3 that I know of. And some are better than others. If I lived in a gay friendly city, I'd naturally like to support businesses that support me. But, it's not always possible depending on where you live. Some people who have LIVED discrimination frankly don't want it to happen to someone else. As a mex-American, I've also felt this way. HETRO White ppl DONT HAVE TO COMPLAIN: they are served EVERYWHERE without incident. If I saw that a business has a pattern of not hiring mex-Americans in a city where we a majority, I'd likely not go there and would not recommend it. Gay marriage rights are new. It's only natural that you'd see more of the uprisings against these businesses that openly discriminate. As the bigots die off, you won't hear so much about these incidences.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
This is disgusting.

In Nazi Germany, Germans did not fraternize with Jews; to do business with them, etc.

Sounds like that's what you want.

Who's the Nazi, now?

You are. In NAZI Germany the state compelled people to discriminate and actively discriminated (to put it mildly) against the Jews. I want the state to be limited to the bare minimum of compulsion. I do not want a state with the power to force people to either discriminate or non-discriminate.

I personally condemn discrimination against homosexuals I just don't think the business owner should be denied his right of association and have his property rights infringed upon.

What about them clubs in NYC that do not let aesthetically handicapped (ugly) people in? Should they be allowed to discriminate?

Libertarianism is on the other end of the spectrum from the authoritarianism of NAZI Germany.

Last edited by whogo; 02-22-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Most Church folks are far from what I would call "Godly". If these people have issues with sin than they wouldn't bake cakes for any number of things considered a biblical sin. Including pagan festivals, divorced people getting married, Baby show cakes for babies born out of wedlock, etc etc etc. They however only deny gay people getting married cakes. Of which isn't really a sin either. It's funny how acting out on homosexuality is considered a sin, and the bakers take no issue with that. However, something no mentioned in the bible as a sin is considered sinful by them and not allowed. So like I said before, "Cherry picking".
Since the Protestant Reformation individuals have been widely allowed to practice their religion in their own manner without having to abide by HWC's interpretation of how they should practice their faith.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:56 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
It depends, do they prepare and serve pork to others? Is it on their menu? If it is, then yes they have to serve to all who request it. If they don't serve pork at all, then no, they don't have to serve it to anyone as it is not part of their business offerings.
I think you missed the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies