Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,264,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Well I believe that is called "predatory pricing" when a business tries to drive another competitor out of business. Competition is one thing - you stated an example of it - but purposely trying to undercut the competition to drive them out of business is illegal, in some states anyway. It's hard to prove and I do think there is something wrong with it. As an individual, I would not try to take a person's livelihood away to benefit myself - I think it's unethical and sets forth bad karma. That's one reason (out of many) why corporations and the rich are stereotyped as being heartless and bad for America. It is entirely possible to do well and be successful without purposely snuffing out the competition.
They may be "stereotyped as being heartless and bad for America." But that does not make the stereotype true. Actually, they are engaged in competition for customers.

Quote:
Personally, I avoid Wal-mart like the plague. I don't want to be one of millions of people who support companies who become rich by selling out my country to the lowest bidder.
I agree with you 100%. It is our ultimate power as consumers to determine to which company we will give our money. As you do, I base my patronage on the attitude and tactics of the companies who compete for my business. And I let them know it. If enough people wise up and follow our lead, we may yet witness the phenomenon of "heartless and bad" corporations magically mending their ways -- because it's good for their business. They know no other motivation....

Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,198,959 times
Originally Posted by twojciac
Quote:
The government doesn't regulate how much alcohol one can drink, nor how much tobacco one can smoke... and either of those kill way more people than any hard drug.
This is exactly my point; just because there is a demand, that should not mean that it should be met.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by twojciacThis is exactly my point; just because there is a demand, that should not mean that it should be met.
Why not? What gives you the right to dictate what someone does with their own body?

We already have laws in place to protect other people. So if you drive while under the influence, that's already a crime because you're putting others at danger. If you have children and neglect them because of an addiction, you should be charged with child endangerment.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,691,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Many of our conservative friends here--and those who read the Bible--know that even Jesus said, basically, that a rich person getting into heaven would be like a camel fitting through the eye of a needle.

That's not to say that all rich people are doomed to hell, because there are some wealthy folks who actively use their wealth for the good of mankind, and who didn't acquire or otherwise benefit from such riches without being immoral, dishonest or deceptive.

But those folks are relatively few.
NOPE:
Samual 2 The LORD sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts.
PSALM 17 O LORD, by your hand save me from such men,
from men of this world whose reward is in this life.
You still the hunger of those you cherish;
their sons have plenty,
and they store up wealth for their children.
Preverbs 10 Lazy hands make a man poor,
but diligent hands bring wealth.

We are called on not to worship mana (wealth) But the Lord rewards those that are faithful.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciacThis is exactly my point; just because there is a demand, that should not mean that it should be met.
Are you suggesting that government should regulate how much one can drink or smoke or ....? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your position

Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Why not? What gives you the right to dictate what someone does with their own body?
I personally don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home, but once intoxicated people decide to go for a drive or go into society it becomes everyone’s problem.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdayI personally don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home, but once intoxicated people decide to go for a drive or go into society it becomes everyone’s problem.
But, we already have laws on that - we don't need any more laws

Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,552,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Burgess - I would say that your post is true because I've seen Wal-mart personnel do this... when I was in college I worked at Wal-mart for about 6 months... and the manager would go out in the field to the mom and pop stores to see what their prices were. She would then adjust the prices below the competition by a nickle or more. This was in the photo department... This was 10 years ago though... I imagine Wal-mart still does this.
It's the "in the trenches" carrying out of the strategy from the top......

Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdayI personally don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home, but once intoxicated people decide to go for a drive or go into society it becomes everyone’s problem.
But that's when laws come into place... when you start infringing on the safety and liberty of others, it should be illegal. Those actions *should* be illegal, but the action of intoxicating yourself shouldn't.

The same goes for your kids. If you are neglecting your children because of a substance, you should be charged with endangerment. But it shouldn't matter that you chose alcohol, because I might be so consumed with my xbox that I don't even change my baby's diapers... either has the same result, while alcohol is a villan and the xbox is benign in the eyes of most.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
But, we already have laws on that - we don't need any more laws
Obviously the laws don't work.
I don't know the answer either, since I blame it on an insane society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.