Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GreatdayObviously the laws don't work.
I don't know the answer either, since I blame it on an insane society.
So - your suggestion would be, to prohibit drinking at any resturant or lounge or in public anywhere?????

Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,552,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
They may be "stereotyped as being heartless and bad for America." But that does not make the stereotype true. Actually, they are engaged in competition for customers.

I agree with you 100%. It is our ultimate power as consumers to determine to which company we will give our money. As you do, I base my patronage on the attitude and tactics of the companies who compete for my business. And I let them know it. If enough people wise up and follow our lead, we may yet witness the phenomenon of "heartless and bad" corporations magically mending their ways -- because it's good for their business. They know no other motivation....
1. Where would we put our consumer money (such as it is.....) if not in the hands of an outsourcer to China, etc.? Has this not occurred on such a COMPLETE AND SERIOUS LEVEL that literally, there are not enough suppliers who manufacture IN the US?

2. Are we talking residential and mechanical breakdowns and work stoppages of huge magnitude?

3. This outsourcing was kept VERY Quiet by companies until it became disaster (to our economy) level.....

4. I agree consumer driven change would motivate companies to change......but what's the alternative provider of goods???

Old 01-17-2008, 11:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,197,929 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
So - your suggestion would be, to prohibit drinking at any resturant or lounge or in public anywhere?????
Why not?
Arent we trying to do this already with smoking?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdayWhy not?
Arent we trying to do this already with smoking?
"We"? You don't live here

And, I don't know about you but, one of my enjoyments is some fine wine or cocktail when I go out for dinner. Then a great cigar in the cigar bar

Sorry you don't like it

Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
And, I don't know about you but, one of my enjoyments is some fine wine or cocktail when I go out for dinner. Then a great cigar in the cigar bar

Sorry you don't like it
Like I said what you do in your own home is not my concern.
With 'we' I meant America and Europe, since most of Europe is following American behaviour on the nicotine stance.
Smoking (and the use of drugs) is a health issue and has nothing to do with me liking it or not.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,262,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post
1. Where would we put our consumer money (such as it is.....) if not in the hands of an outsourcer to China, etc.? Has this not occurred on such a COMPLETE AND SERIOUS LEVEL that literally, there are not enough suppliers who manufacture IN the US?

2. Are we talking residential and mechanical breakdowns and work stoppages of huge magnitude?

3. This outsourcing was kept VERY Quiet by companies until it became disaster (to our economy) level.....

4. I agree consumer driven change would motivate companies to change......but what's the alternative provider of goods???
You're on a different topic than we were. You may want to start another thread...?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,701,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday Like I said what you do in your own home is not my concern.
With 'we' I meant America and Europe, since most of Europe is following American behaviour on the nicotine stance.
Smoking (and the use of drugs) is a health issue and has nothing to do with me liking it or not.
Smoking in a private place where people are not forced to go should be no concern of yours.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Like I said what you do in your own home is not my concern.
Now you sound like to want to also outlaw resturants - wow - what a dull world you want to live in

Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Smoking in a private place where people are not forced to go should be no concern of yours.
Sounds like he wants to make it "his problem"

Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Now you sound like to want to also outlaw resturants - wow - what a dull world you want to live in
Just be glad that your not me then.
I'm happy being me.

Originally Posted by twojciac
Quote:
Like I said what you do in your own homes is not my concern.
But if you put a nightclub in the middle of the town it concerns everyone who lives in the neighbourhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies