Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:03 PM

746 posts, read 839,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why do people hate the rich?
One of the oldest sins in the book envy...
People want what they dont have. Everyone would like to be rich but only some are.
The biggest failing of man is that we hate to look in the mirror and see that the blame rests with the man looking back at you. So we blame someone else. They have so much but dont share it. They don't need so much and should be forced to share it. Blah blah blah lame excuses and lame reasoning.
The fact that rich pay about 90% of the taxes this nation takes in escapes most people. They would rather it be 100%. That is until they win the lottery or get lucky some other way.
Disagree think about what percentage of the population owns more than 90% of all the assets. Guess? Well, less than 1% of the population own more than 80% of all stocks and 90% of all assets in this country. The top 1% don't pay crap! The middle class pays 90% of all taxes. I hate when they try to say the top 5% pay most of the taxes well the top 5% is still mostly middle class. It's the top 1% that's truly wealthy.

Top 1% owns billions upon billions of dollars so let's say for instance

200 billion dollars of income comes from the top 1% and they are taxed at 15% = 30 billion in taxes

Lets say the middle class has 25 billion dollars worth of income and they are taxed at an average of 25%-33% like 29% = 7.25 Billion in taxes

30+7.25 = 37.25 Billion in tax revenue

So it's stupid, but mis-leading to say well, the top 1% pay 30/37.25 = 80% of all taxes. MOD CUT they pay it at a significant discount to the rest of us and they're bringing in 100 million a year. I have a problem with this! Until i'm in that position lol. Then i'd be saying the same mis-leading statment.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-10-2008 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,122,217 times
I think the same can be asked, "Why are people so against the "poor"?

It's because, as animals, we tend to socialize with our "own kind" and "look down on the other".

The poor see the rich as scoundrels who have found a way to abuse others (the poor) into making a fortune.

The rich see the poor as lazy individuals who should be trying to become more marketable.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:10 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,695,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Disagree think about what percentage of the population owns more than 90% of all the assets. Guess? Well, less than 1% of the population own more than 80% of all stocks and 90% of all assets in this country. The top 1% don't pay crap! The middle class pays 90% of all taxes. I hate when they try to say the top 5% pay most of the taxes well the top 5% is still mostly middle class. It's the top 1% that's truly wealthy.

Top 1% owns billions upon billions of dollars so let's say for instance

200 billion dollars of income comes from the top 1% and they are taxed at 15% = 30 billion in taxes

Lets say the middle class has 25 billion dollars worth of income and they are taxed at an average of 25%-33% like 29% = 7.25 Billion in taxes

30+7.25 = 37.25 Billion in tax revenue

So it's stupid, but mis-leading to say well, the top 1% pay 30/37.25 = 80% of all taxes. MOD CUT they pay it at a significant discount to the rest of us and they're bringing in 100 million a year. I have a problem with this! Until i'm in that position lol. Then i'd be saying the same mis-leading statment.
Many of us here are in the top 1% of wealth worldwide. If you earn more than $47,500 per year, you are in the richest 1% of people in the world.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-10-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-10-2008, 01:10 PM

68,277 posts, read 54,017,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
The poor sit around and wonder why life has been unfair to them. The rich work. I acknowledge that some people work hard and are still poor. But without the rich their can be no middle class. It's either some people are rich, some are middle class, and some are poor. Or else its everyone is poor.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that many of the so called 'wealthy' became so the old fashioned way: Inheritance!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that many of the so called 'wealthy' became so the old fashioned way: Inheritance!

Not true. While a number of families inherited their wealth the vast majority of people on the Forbes 400 list are new money families, that made there money during the last 50 years. Sure you have the Dupont's, the Hiltons, Gettys, Vanderbuilts, but think of how many families were wealthy along side of them during the hey days and how many of those families still have money? Not many.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Many of us here are in the top 1% of wealth worldwide. If you earn more than $47,500 per year, you are in the richest 1% of people in the world.
Who cares about the world! I'm an american citizens first and a citizen of the world second....so cry me a river

Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM

652 posts, read 2,658,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I read in a money magazine that the numbers of people becoming rich off of inheritance is significantly on the decline. Not only that but they obviously got a head start in life but they still typically work many hours a day to continue that lifestyle. I am not saying that a lot of them are not stuck up. I guess my main thoughts were about not the top 1% but your typical upper middle class or people making over 100k a year. not the people making 2mil a year. I guess when I was young I was different than most people. I always made sure I "hung out" with people that had more than me (both knowlege and things) I never had problems finding friends that welcomed me with open arms. Of course I also didnt ask for hand out either. I just feel there is more prejudice against people with money than there is with poor people.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times
Ya, ya, ya everything is black and white...not!

All rich people worked so hard to get their wealth like George Bush who had to work so hard to BE BORN which instantly made him wealthy.

And ALL the poor are lazy slobs who don't want to work and sit around all day with nothing to do but "hate" the rich.

Gosh life is simple for some of you folks!

But it's a flawed view....and if you can't see the complexities of the situation you can argue for nothing forever.

Maybe you should look up some statistics about the loss of the middle class and the increase in the number of poor in this country.

And realize there's a different story for every human on earth.

PS:Why do so many hate the poor?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 PM

652 posts, read 2,658,149 times
I think most of us know this. we are talking about averages and " a lot of people" in certain situations. Not black and white. there arent many things in black and white besides maybe numbers.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:44 PM

278 posts, read 907,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
Of course I also didnt ask for hand out either. I just feel there is more prejudice against people with money than there is with poor people.
You could be right....but I'm not sure. People with more means tend to have a better edcuation, better medical care, and have probably traveled more extensively. So they get online and make fun of people with poor spelling skills, bad teeth, and have lived in some one red-light rural town all of their life. So the prejudices go both ways...they are just approached in a more subtle way.

This is not to be confused with the people who live on hand outs because they are too sorry to work for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies