Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM

307 posts, read 1,394,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Who cares about the world! I'm an american citizens first and a citizen of the world second....so cry me a river
I think what he was trying to say is some people out there have it worse then you do. (But being wealthy is not a crime. )

Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,862,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that many of the so called 'wealthy' became so the old fashioned way: Inheritance!
I know many immensely wealthy people. They started out dirt poor. One even lost everything only to start another business and become rich again. I have never met any old money.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,727,418 times
I feel people are just people and it doesn't matter a bit if one is "rich" or "poor".

There are rich who think that because of their wealth,education and status that they are somehow "better".

There are poor who see the rich as someone to distrust, envy, and hate because they don't have what the rich do.

The bottom line is that we are all just people and should try our best to be kinder to one another. I sure don't want to die angry at a group of people because of their money or lack of it.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,594,672 times
The first time I ever met a large group of well-off people was in college, when I met the wealthy kids of various executives and businesspeople.

Some were quite decent as people, but many had a terrible sense of entitlement that extended to everything in life. And with the kind of money they had, they usually got what they wanted.

These are people who had not necessarily worked a day in their lives, and after college, could afford to travel the globe and 'do nothing' for a few years while daddy cleared a cushy position for them at the company.

I think these things - this type of nepotism - offends people's sense of fair play.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times
I think I don't like rich peole who have to find something to whine about.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,747,485 times
Funny thing is rich people "whine" or feel they have "entitlement" and I could say the exact same thing about poor people who "whine" they don't have money cause they spent it all or feel they are have "entitlement" for social services paid by the middle class. perhaps the super rich and poor should GET NOTHING... no tax breaks, no social services... like the Fair Tax, giving it back to the middle class..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM

652 posts, read 2,658,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I feel people are just people and it doesn't matter a bit if one is "rich" or "poor".

There are rich who think that because of their wealth,education and status that they are somehow "better".

There are poor who see the rich as someone to distrust, envy, and hate because they don't have what the rich do.

The bottom line is that we are all just people and should try our best to be kinder to one another. I sure don't want to die angry at a group of people because of their money or lack of it.
I feel the same way you do. that is part of why I have been getting aggrevated lately though. I would certainly never be angry at the whole group for it though.
I just had something similar happen to me yesterday. A plumber totally changed his attitude with me because he "thought" I was rich. First He is being contracted through home depot to do the plumbing work in my kitchen (just had a new kitchen put in) I ask him if he knows any handymen in the area that can do minor plumbing work for a reasonable cost or if he took side jobs. anyway to make a long story short he looks at my tub faucet and first starts saying how its no big deal wont cost much at all. then realizes I just had a pool put in. shortly after he is saying I need to replace the whole thing (spout, knob and shower head) that he will have to cut into the wall etc and it could be anywhere between 75 and 300 dollars. I am so aggrevated. What I miss the most from back home is knowing honest fair priced handymen! sorry for rambling.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 AM

652 posts, read 2,658,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Funny thing is rich people "whine" or feel they have "entitlement" and I could say the exact same thing about poor people who "whine" they don't have money cause they spent it all or feel they are have "entitlement" for social services paid by the middle class. perhaps the super rich and poor should GET NOTHING... no tax breaks, no social services... like the Fair Tax, giving it back to the middle class..
I am all for the fair tax. but I think you have it all wrong if you think it is taking away from the poor and the rich and giving back to the middle class. about 2yrs (?) ago my husband and I crunched the numbers (middle class) and we would be about the same off in the end. Primarily because we buy a lot of used items and dont buy a lot of the really expensive foods. Although you are right about it taking from the rich who spend their money.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I could almost understand the rich whining about taxes...they thinnk ANY taxes THEY pay are unfair...but the OP seems to be grasping to find a "whine" point.

Is any one else here old enought to remember when refering to yourself as wealthy was considered vulgar, bad manners?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,695,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think these things - this type of nepotism - offends people's sense of fair play.
I dunno, but I never grew up thinking anything in life would be fair. We don't live in a Disney movie, and the sooner we realize that we've been dealt the hand and have to play it, the sooner we can adjust it to make the best hand possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies