Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,694,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
There's probably more hatred towards poor people than towards rich people in America... in poorer countries, there's likely to be more "hatred" towards the rich who they may feel are exploiting them... but I think the concept is exceptionally prevalent in the US that the rich overwhelmingly deserve to be so, as do the poor. Not that it's necessarily a correct concept.
In poor countries, the rich are a grat deal more generous than in the US. In poor countries, anybody who is relatively affluent (not necessarily "rich") are aware of the poverty in their country, and habitually do little things as the 'duty' of the rich. They carry small change in their pockets, and every day give it to beggars. They employ casual workers to do menial tasks for them. They have their car washed and their shoes shined every day by street urchins, and pay them a small amount. They buy their snacks from poor casual street vendors. They pay someone to run small errands for them. Restaurants open their back doors at the end of each business day and distribute leftovers to the waiting and expectant poor.

By contrast, Americans prefer, for example, to take their car to a carwash that is owned by a multinational corporation, and put a dollar in a corporate-leased Coke machine while waiting, while the poor are frustrated by the locked dumpster full of undelivered pizzas behind the restaurant next door.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,701,449 times
The article only demonstrates that businesses can pay a 'fair' wage without regulation... and those businesses who do so, have benefited from their actions. Why on earth do you feel that you have the right to dictate how much a company pays their employees unless you are a shareholder?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,096,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The article only demonstrates that businesses can pay a 'fair' wage without regulation... and those businesses who do so, have benefited from their actions. Why on earth do you feel that you have the right to dictate how much a company pays their employees unless you are a shareholder?
"""""Why on earth do you feel that you have the right to dictate how much a company pays their employees unless you are a shareholder?"""""

I never posted that and YOU didn't read the entire article. Try again

Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""""Why on earth do you feel that you have the right to dictate how much a company pays their employees unless you are a shareholder?"""""

I never posted that and YOU didn't read the entire article. Try again
I did read the article, which is advocating for a higher minimum wage... which is regulation which dictates a floor in wages. It also clearly shows that the employers that pay a better wage feel that their business improves due to this... which gives them a direct advantage in the marketplace.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,741,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The CEO complaint is a perfect example of the have nots complaining life is unfair. Its not my fault I didnt go to college. Its not my fault no one taught me how to succeed.
I dunno. In college, I worked at a prominent investment bank. At one point, they were a hiring junior analyst.

Here were my instructions for screening the resume:

"If they went to school A, B or C put them in the good pile, everyone else, reject."

No one read the resumes of these folks, and rejected them sheerly out of the name of their Alma Mater? And we all know that some of these IVY's are out of the price range of the have nots, regardless of how well they could have done if they attended.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I dunno. In college, I worked at a prominent investment bank. At one point, they were a hiring junior analyst.

"If they went to school A, B or C put them in the good pile, everyone else, reject."

No one read the resumes of these folks, and rejected them sheerly out of the name of their Alma Mater? And we all know that some of these IVY's are out of the price range of the have nots, regardless of how well they could have done if they attended.
Then the company who rejected them blindly may suffer from hiring people who were educated from only a few universities. Diversity in education and background is common where I work, it allows for a diverse set of solutions to problems that arise.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

And that bank is one establishment amoung thousands. This proves nothing other than that they support particular schools. Investment banks represent a small portion of corporate america. But what makes them different than say asian resturaunts that only hire family members or say people of the same race or culture? Worse still Gov jobs that always seem to go to family members of the prominant politicians. Republican or democrat.
My point being there are many more opprotunities than just 1 place of business. The success rate for those who think in long term goals,plan for long term and reenforce it with strong work ethic by far outstrips the short term thinkers. I accept that daddies money greases the wheels for junior. But this to was due to daddies long term thinking and planning.
My parents poor as dirt did manage to teach us a few things.
1. Hard work is a big part of success.
2. If you plan for tommorow you plan to late. My parents started saving for their funerals in their 30's.... We were all shocked.
3. Excuses are for the weak willed. Look in the mirror and lay blame where it belongs.
We all make mistakes. Everyone. Winners tend to look in the mirror recognize the failure and learn from it. Loosers tend to look around for someone else to blame.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Then the company who rejected them blindly may suffer from hiring people who were educated from only a few universities. Diversity in education and background is common where I work, it allows for a diverse set of solutions to problems that arise.
Very well said.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,693,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleword View Post
lets see.....i have a "rich" friend who is a doctor, lets do some counting, shall we?

4 years in medical technology (or whatevers as your undergraduate degree)
4 years medical school
1 year intership
1 year studying for the usmle tests and residency matching (must take tests before residency)
3-6 years of residency (3 years is like...family practice, 6 years is like... brain surgery)
1 year, studying for your medical board exams then finding a job or go for your fellowship and become a diplomat.
2 years of fellowship

i count a minimum of.....14 years, and a maximum of 19 years to become a "rich" doctor . and heres the best part, what if u had to get a loan? that would be....$400,000+ of loans out of your own pocket

after allllllllllllllllll of those years of going to school and working your but off to become a "rich" medical doctor, he/she then.......has to give "free" medical care to the "poor."

"poor" people get over it!!!
Oh cry me a river! A doctor makes back in his first year ALL he paid for college and medical school! People who go into medicine should go into it to serve ALL the people and not just those with money. In fact, I would even say that, if the doctor agrees to serve in the National Health Service, we shall pay for his college and medical school 1 year for each year of service. Doctors should be well paid but it is not something to get rich at.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,693,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I agree here. My sister was in college for 9 years, she was BORN POOR and worked herself to pieces to get where she is at, she started with nothing, paid for all her needs herself and caught no breaks.
She now makes upwards of 250k and is going back yet again for another degree which will boost her to above the 300k range.
We were dirt poor growing up, had nothing, lucky to eat and she earned her 'rich" status and proved most everyone wrong that only the rich are born into it or get lucky.
Yes she doesnt forget where we come from and donates her time and lots of money to kids.
If she can come from what we had to where she is at now, so can others.
No excuse in the world to be poor in my opinion, unless you have health issues, no reason whatsoever.
I so much agree, get over it, it's called a job, or two or three.
$250K is well off for sure but it is not rich. When I say rich, I mean people that make over a million a year. $300K is about what a decent doctor should make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.