Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Funny you mention the Rotten Tomatoes.
First thing I went to look at.
73% is not a great score.
For a story/movie on such a hot-button issue for left-leaners, and so popular with conservatives at the box office, that actually is a high critic score... approximately 3 out of 4 liked it.

I never said it should have won best picture. You asked what it was about, the tone, and I told you. If it was simply a "rah rah 'murica" (as you put it) movie, it would have a much lower score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:10 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Your second sentence makes no sense.
Made sense to me. The Oscars are not important to life in general. Although I don't agree it epitomizes what is wrong with America. Personally there is almost never a movie I like (or have seen) nominated for best picture I don't see anything wrong with people having an outlet.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Maybe he could make a movie about Americans dressed in red white and blue shooting Muslims for 2 hours and then create his own awards ceremony so it can win everything.
I don't think it was a snub that American Sniper didn't win, but American Sniper is most certainly not a 2 hour movie about Americans shooting Muslims.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
the orangutan spawn could start his own awards show ( the TRUMPS: "the best, most luxuries awards show...." ).

just a thought.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 AM

44,255 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
For a story/movie on such a hot-button issue for left-leaners, and so popular with conservatives at the box office, that actually is a high critic score... approximately 3 out of 4 liked it.

I never said it should have won best picture. You asked what it was about, the tone, and I told you. If it was simply a "rah rah 'murica" (as you put it) movie, it would have a much lower score.
Yes, I get it. Thanks.
The reviews spoke a lot about internal termoil, morality, etc.

Weird. All the friends I have who have seen it and like it play up the "hero" rah rah patriot aspect so much...but they are pretty country, if you get my meaning.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Hollywood is full of left leaning liberals and they have always favored and rewarded films that also lean that way.
Seriously? Hollywood is ruthless capitalism at it's best/worst. Investors gamble millions of dollars with no guarantee of return.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:36 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump and the right are upset with the American Sniper Oscar snub. The movie is far from the truth but Hollywood movies usually are.

Bottom line - action movies rarely win a best picture Oscar. Star Wars IV - another mega box office hit - didn't win Best Picture but picked up Oscars for Art Direction-Set Decoration, Costume Design, Sound, Film Editing, Special Effects, & Original Score. But the whiners will still whine.

Donald J. Trump
✔ @realDonaldTrump
The Oscars are a sad joke, very much like our President. So many things are wrong!
10:26 PM - 22 Feb 2015 Manhattan, NY, United States

Feel the Twitter butthurt as ‘American Sniper’ gets Oscar-snubbed

Until Trump changes that stupid hairstyle, I will never take him seriously.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Until Trump changes that stupid hairstyle, I will never take him seriously.
I wouldn't take him serious even if he shaved his head....Though now that I mention it, I wanna see a bald Trump.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Trump and other conservatives continue to trumpet American Sniper as this patriotic film when IT'S NOT that at all.

It's nothing but one man's journey through war and his attempts at dealing with the actions that he was called upon to execute. That's it. Period, point blank.

I'm really getting tired of all the flag waving hullabaloo that has sprang up around this film. All war films aren't about patriotism.

Trump is an idiot.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Was it long, boring and pretentious? Sees like a requirement.

eta, never mind:

Answered my own question. A movie about an actor, now that's original.
It was a hell of a lot more original than American Sniper was by a long shot. There was nothing pretentious about Birdman. It was more or less a mockumentary about how lame and unoriginal Hollywood has become and one man's struggle to break away from it and forge a different path when doing the same crap that made him so successful is still available to him.

But I get it...not your style. You can't wait for Diehard 20 to come out. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies