Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:07 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Surprise! You a re still a bottom feeder maybe not wage wise but mental attitude keeps you on the bottom.
Sure is comfortable down here, the money helps.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Do you think the minimum wage should be $0.25? That's what it was in 1938.
If you take the historical average of every year in CY 2014 dollars, minimum wage has averaged around $7.50 an hour over the last 75 years. The current federal MW isn't that far off its history.

The MW in 1938 works out to $4.13 in 2014 dollars.

People love using the exponential growth curve of then 50s and 60s, but had the MW stayed on that course, it would be around $20 an hour right now. Had it stayed on the growth of the 30s and 40s, or pretty much since the peak in 1968 until now, it could be much lower, like around $6.00

As of now, it's pretty average historically.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
A minimum wage increase wouldn't have much effect on inflation, since labor input costs at the low end of the scale usually don't make up a great deal of the overall cost of most products and services. These things follow curves; a minimum wage hike to something like $15 would not have much effect, while a leap to $100 obviously would.

Its benefit would be in channeling more capital into the class of people with the highest marginal propensity to spend, and spend locally. So it would be a bit redistributive, but I wouldn't be very concerned about inflation of the money supply on that account. If anything, deflation still seems like the bigger short-term trend.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
I wasn't making an argument. I was stating history. Look it up. Removing minimum wage affects that law alone, so I have no idea what you're referring to by "the thousands of laws, policies and codes..." We're talking about wages, and historically, businesses will exploit labor, to the point that people organize and sometimes violence occurs. The idea that laissez-faire economics produces anything resembling equity is a utopian wet-dream.
This is stupid. Majority of people already make above both federal and state minimum wage. Liberals often forget this inconvenient fact when talking about "racing to the bottom".You can cherry pick any point in history and it will still not be indicative of today's environment.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Bottom feeders huh? I'm betting that the OP has no problem getting pissy with their burger/ tire changed/ grocery worker/ all because they feel like they believe they are a better class of people. I think MOST people tend to forget it's the blue collar works that built/fed this country!
And MOST people know that the people who built and fed this country weren't working for minimum wage. MOST people realize that blue collar does not equal minimum wage.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:23 PM

I'd also like someone to comment on government assistance and the role it plays....its seems liberals focus on the dollar amount and its the only consideration, especially with their historical charts and such. What does not get talked about is all the other benefits and entitlements that are afforded to people that were initiated after their cherry picked date in history. While they may make less money, they may actually get more assistance from government...you'll never really hear about people discussing the impact government assistance has on wages. i.e. if I get more government assistance, I don't have to make as much to maintain a certain lifestyle which can certainly affect the amount someone will work for.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
This is stupid. Majority of people already make above both federal and state minimum wage. Liberals often forget this inconvenient fact when talking about "racing to the bottom".You can cherry pick any point in history and it will still not be indicative of today's environment.
No, that fact isn't forgotten, minimum wage went from 7.25 to $10/hr, those in between 7.25-10 would be directly affected.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, that fact isn't forgotten, minimum wage went from 7.25 to $10/hr, those in between 7.25-10 would be directly affected.

What? You are moving the goal post or do not understand the context of the discussion I was having with nvxplorer. He stated employers would exploit and lower wages if minimum wage laws were removed. This is easy disprove because majority of people already make more than federal and state minimum wage. In other words, minimum wage is largely irrelevant to majority of employers and employees. Its clear sign the market values and will pay above a forced minimum for labor. "The race to the bottom" line is a bull**** liberal talking point that you've seem to bought hook, line and sinker.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM

78,377 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
I get a COLA every year. So do millions of other people. Why do you want to deny minimum wage workers the same COLA that many, if not most of us enjoy?
I agree about COLA, there should be some sort of scaling built into min. wage.

However, Min. wage is inherently flawed without taking into account the cost of living in various areas being wildly different. Large urban areas forcing a one-size fits all min wage would really really screw the small towns etc.

Does it really make sense to have the same minimum wage in a town where rent is $300/month with utilities and $900/month in another town for the same rental?

This is what is really polarizing the discussion. It's really a rural vs. urban discussion which of course creates political divides.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
What? You are moving the goal post or do not understand the context of the discussion I was having with nvxplorer. He stated employers would exploit and lower wages if minimum wage laws were removed. This is easy disprove because majority of people already make more than federal and state minimum wage. In other words, minimum wage is largely irrelevant to majority of employers and employees. Its clear sign the market values labor.
He is right, they would be exploited, if there wasn't a minimum wage, it would be much easier to offer a dollar more than the next company that is offering a job for $2/hr, and you would be lucky to have that slightly more paying $3/hr job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies