Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The point of my post was that, I want people to say what they really think. I guess what pushed my buttons today was that Rudy Giuliani is the current Lib media target about his comments about the President. It doesn't matter what he said, or whether what he said is right or wrong. I want people to say what they really think. We can all evaluate it, and take it, or leave it.
My conservative Christian mother used to always tell me that if I didn't have something nice to say about someone perhaps I shouldn't say it at all. That was in the 1960s.

Giuliani is free to say whatever he wants and others are free to react to what he says. I think in this case Giuliani would have been well advised to keep his opinion to himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The point of my post was that, I want people to say what they really think. I guess what pushed my buttons today was that Rudy Giuliani is the current Lib media target about his comments about the President. It doesn't matter what he said, or whether what he said is right or wrong. I want people to say what they really think. We can all evaluate it, and take it, or leave it.
Now I get it. Giuliani opens his fat mouth, says some really stupid things, gets called on it, and now you're mad. Sorry to hear that.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
texdav got it right. There were many times in the past when rough speech and harsh discourse made a tense situation worse, thus making the root problems that started the speech worse.

Political correctness is just away of attempting to keep things polite in this changing nation. Some of it is stupid, and some goes too far, and some is way too vague and fuzzy. But overall, it does keep arguments more civil than in past times, and sometimes cools the heat so a person doesn't get carried away.

Guillanni went too far. If anyone ever said I don't love my mother country, I would knock the clown in his nose and lay him out. But the President can't do that. Rudy has been on the same side of that coin, and should have known better.

There was once a time when he had to try to keep his alligator mouth from running away with his butterfly ass, but now that he has nothing to lose, he's lost whatever temperance in his speech that his old job as Mayor once demanded.

He's not alone, of course. Far too many of our public officials, past and present, now speak first and think later. It seems to be a part of the American way, but we expect our officials to act with wisdom and dignity as part of their job. They must be the standard as our leaders, and set the example. The gutter is always there, after all, and it's all too easy to fall into.

A politician's stock in trade is the quality of his speech. If Rudy has any ambitions for living in the White House, he needs to remember that fact.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The term 'Judeo-Christian' is a fairly modern term, at least in the sense that it is commonly used today. So I reject in it's entirety that we were formed on any Jewish/Christian views. Certainly not Jewish views, we were viewed as second class citizens all over the Western World until the 19th century or so, accept in central Europe where this view persisted into at least the 1950s.

We were founded on the principles of individualism. We supported liberty and free thought. There is a reason I say that in past tense, because that is no longer the case. I agree, PC is a bad thing, but so is claiming we were founded on an idea that hadn't really surfaced into mainstream thought until the mid 20th century.

Christianity and Islam are built on the foundation of Judaism for the Jewish Torah is largely included in both the Holy Bible and The Qua'ran. The modern term is Judeo/Christian/Islamic Religion or the Abrahamic family of religions for each considers the Prophet Abraham as its father and states that the God of Adam, Noah, Lot, Abraham, Moses ,and all the prophets and righteous men and women that followed them, who has no name is the one true GOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies