Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:22 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I've never heard of this "pay for faster" speed.. Can you cite for me some internet companies who do this.

In particular, list for rme what they spend yearly, so I can review their stock market reports. I'm curious what Amazon pays for example.

As a website owner, I've never been approached to pay more, in fact the speed of my website is directly related to the speed of line I have coming into my facility and internal gig network connection cables.. PERIOD..

To me, its just another liberal boogieman argument.. oooh the fear mongering, we must turn x over to the government because people might do this..
I don't know anything about ISPs, paying for faster internet, or corporations charging for faster speeds. I just repeated things said in the following source.

Net Neutrality: The End of the Internet as We Know it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What internet content is Verizon controlling as to "what you can watch/read/download from the internet" now?

What is it about the total freedom on the internet that is something you don't like now? we used to have 9600 baud connections, now six megabyte ISP speeds are common. We used to not have streaming video, now we do, what about that do you not like now?
I was responding to another post. Maybe you should read the post I was responding to before attacking mine. The poster I was responding to insisted that 'government' is trying to take over the internet, which is most definitely not true.

I love the freedom of the internet, and want my access to it to stay the way it is now.

However, the internet providers want to change the way it is now.

That is what these regulations are designed to stop.

There are multiple threads on this topic and much good information. Read about it!

Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I was responding to another post. Maybe you should read the post I was responding to before attacking mine. The poster I was responding to insisted that 'government' is trying to take over the internet, which is most definitely not true.

I love the freedom of the internet, and want my access to it to stay the way it is now.

However, the internet providers want to change the way it is now.

That is what these regulations are designed to stop.

There are multiple threads on this topic and much good information. Read about it!
Who told you that the ISP's want to change the way things are? The people who want NN???

Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
One more step towards the fundamentally transformed America.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Who told you that the ISP's want to change the way things are? The people who want NN???
Do you understand the meaning of the word 'neutral'?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:34 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Do you understand the meaning of the word 'neutral'?
Yes, it's like the meaning of the word 'affordable' in the ACA.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:41 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Yeah sure. They were throttling you and you made a phone call and it went away. Bull****...If you were being throttled a phone call wouldn't have done anything. My netflix flies and always has.
I don't know if I was being throttled. I do know that services running through the same internet connection and same devices would work just fine, and Netflix wouldn't. This was at the same time that Netflix and Comcast were going through their problems with Comcast threatening to throttle them. Did you miss that?

Anyway, you didn't address the actual issue. Why should corporations that often operate as monopolies, own the infrastructure, used public money to built that infrastructure, and get the protections that utilities get, get to decide content on that infrastructure? Act like a utility, get regulated like one.

What's your issue with that?

Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
I was just listening to Rush radio and their internet expert, and they said this. "The republicans want the internet to be controlled by free markets (large corporations), and the democrats want the government to control the internet."

The free markets only objective is to make money, so naturally the free market will want to charge as much as possible for internet service, give its best paying customers the best/fastest service, and configure the internet for maximum profits.

And large corporations will want to push the small internet guy out of the picture, so people on the internet only get access to the large corporations websites, products, services, and information.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Yeah sure. They were throttling you and you made a phone call and it went away. Bull****...If you were being throttled a phone call wouldn't have done anything. My netflix flies and always has.
It really depends on your netflix settings. There is a setting to download videos in HD, even if you dont have HD televisions, and the bandwidth usage is astronomical and takes longer to stream. if one doesn't have FIOS, its sometimes noticeable.

When I went in and changed the settings to now view movies in HD, the bandwith usage for netflix dropped in half, cut my internet bill by $50 a month from $300 to $250. I still thought that was too much so now I'm on ATT DSL, at $42, but its far slower.. but with the setting made to not download in HD, its not noticeable.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I was just listening to Rush radio and their internet expert, and they said this. "The republicans want the internet to be controlled by free markets (large corporations), and the democrats want the government to control the internet."

The free markets only objective is to make money, so naturally the free market will want to charge as much as possible for internet service, give its best paying customers the best/fastest service, and configure the internet for maximum profits.

And large corporations will want to push the small internet guy out of the picture, so people on the internet only get access to the large corporations websites, products, services, and information.
Which is why I feel we need more competition in the industry, not limited competition with governmental control.

In all reality, the government should own the lines, then any internet company can provide services to an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies