Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,081,083 times

Advertisements

This is obviously a fantasy and would never happen (sigh!), but hypothetically if all countries agreed to mandate that people keep religion a private and personal matter, wouldn't there be a lot less drama in the world? Wouldn't there be more progress of science and civilization?

Of course, this would force people to be more honest about their real issues with others, but at least then it becomes a concrete, tangible matter that can be more easily negotiated, rather than a battle of subjective spiritual ideologies that are, nearly by definition, impossible or not intended to be proven.

I know it's a totalitarianish idea, but it might be the only way to bring about more peace in the world. People are still free to have their own religious beliefs, and houses of worship, but anything more public than that should be considered as inappropriate as advertising one's preferred sex positions.

It's just my fantasy, and I don't see any reasonable way for this to actually be implemented, but does anyone else feel this way from time to time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,061,602 times
Of course it would absolutely help the human race. Religion has been a terrible drag we put on ourselves for thousands of years now.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,500,102 times
Heck, I'd been happy if the US had kept true to its Constitution and kept church and state separate. This fight to win the right for same-sex marriage is an ugly reminder of the hold religion has had on this country. I can't imagine what this place would be like if we'd been a secular nation all along.

Hopefully we'll get there one of these days - it's not as bad as it used to be anyhow - thank goodness!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:51 PM

44,987 posts, read 26,141,048 times
so you want to use violent force ( government) to prevent people from voluntarily practicing their religion and call the end result utopia?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:58 PM

963 posts, read 685,870 times
"sigh" (I forgot to add the required "sigh" when dealing with stupidity)

UTOPIA: What if the entire world banned public practice/promotion of religion?

You would have TYRANNY.

The Left ALWAYS resorts to tyranny.

Another idiot, on another forum, suggested that, to create world peace, we should all just drop our own beliefs and convert to Islam. The ignorance runs strong among the left

Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,272,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is obviously a fantasy and would never happen (sigh!), but hypothetically if all countries agreed to mandate that people keep religion a private and personal matter, wouldn't there be a lot less drama in the world? Wouldn't there be more progress of science and civilization?

Of course, this would force people to be more honest about their real issues with others, but at least then it becomes a concrete, tangible matter that can be more easily negotiated, rather than a battle of subjective spiritual ideologies that are, nearly by definition, impossible or not intended to be proven.

I know it's a totalitarianish idea, but it might be the only way to bring about more peace in the world. People are still free to have their own religious beliefs, and houses of worship, but anything more public than that should be considered as inappropriate as advertising one's preferred sex positions.

It's just my fantasy, and I don't see any reasonable way for this to actually be implemented, but does anyone else feel this way from time to time?
Thanks captain obvious.
So what ya gonna do when you see someone reading the Bible at the mall? What kind of peace are we talking here?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,771,208 times
It wouldn't go over well.

The good news is that education does a lot more to undermine organized religion than the legal system or military ever could.

Old habits die hard and social circles and family ties keep these myths in circulation, but the more we develop our ability to think critically and the more we understand about the universe around us, the harder it is to cling to dogmatic belief. Atheism is currently spreading faster than any religion in history, and its rise mirrors the rise of literacy-- it's not a coincidence.

Clamping down on these things just makes people want to fight for them. It's better to simply show them how wrong they are.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
The Left ALWAYS resorts to tyranny.

Another idiot, on another forum, suggested that, to create world peace, we should all just drop our own beliefs and convert to Islam. The ignorance runs strong among the left
ROFL...are you serious?

Here:

https://www.readingrainbow.com/

Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Thanks captain obvious.
So what ya gonna do when you see someone reading the Bible at the mall? What kind of peace are we talking here?
That's fine. It's the proselytizing, religion-motivated legislation and other means of pressuring others to change their spiritual beliefs that are destructive, imo.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,771,208 times
Actually OP, this was tried in Quebec and it was extremely unpopular.

The Dangerous Logic of Quebec's 'Charter of Values' - The Atlantic

I used to think it would be a good idea... and then it actually happened and it really wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies