Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times

Advertisements

Kayla Mueller an American human rights activist and humanitarian aid worker was kidnapped from Syria in August 2013, yet travel warnings for Syria were issued in Jan 2012 by the United States department. Why should it be the United States governments responsibility to attempt to rescue people who place themselves in harms way?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isi...ue-bid-n311351

In the new article above, is says "President Barack Obama had stressed that the U.S. was deploying "all assets" to save Mueller.". Why? just because she is an American Citizen? Why is it the United States government's problem every times some adventurer strays too close the the North Koren boarder or some aid worker ignores travel warnings and is kidnapped in a hostile country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Kayla Mueller an American human rights activist and humanitarian aid worker was kidnapped from Syria in August 2013, yet travel warnings for Syria were issued in Jan 2012 by the United States department. Why should it be the United States governments responsibility to attempt to rescue people who place themselves in harms way?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isi...ue-bid-n311351

In the new article above, is says "President Barack Obama had stressed that the U.S. was deploying "all assets" to save Mueller.". Why? just because she is an American Citizen? Why is it the United States government's problem every times some adventurer strays too close the the North Koren boarder or some aid worker ignores travel warnings and is kidnapped in a hostile country?
If an American is being held overseas, he'd be criticized for not trying to get them out. If he risks lives to get them out, he'd be criticized for that. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
If an American is being held overseas, he'd be criticized for not trying to get them out. If he risks lives to get them out, he'd be criticized for that. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I think that is a bit unfair. At a minimum, inaccurate. There will always be people who criticize the President no matter what political affiliation he has.

It is an entirely different matter when one ignores travel warnings and past incidences to travel to a hostile, or potentially hostile, area. I have a hard time believing the State Department issues warnings just for press coverage. There surely is a reason for these warnings.

If someone chooses to ignore all warnings and proceed into a dangerous situation in an area where people want to kill you based on where you are from, why should anyone rush to your aid? Why should the taxpayers be saddled with the bill for rescuing you? Why should political capital be expended to bring you home? Why should a soldier have to go risk getting shot for you? YOU are the one who ignored warnings to go on your humanitarian crusade in hostile areas. Guess what? You could have effected just as much change here, at home, in the US. And, best of all, you wouldn't have got your stupid butt kidnapped or killed. I guess it's just more romantic to go overseas to help people and say screw the people here at home.

"But yeah, I think they waited too long," he said. "Through people that have gotten released, we had an idea of where they were, a real good idea where they were."

WHY WAS SHE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!??! Especially knowing people had been kidnapped and/or killed? <----- There aren't enough of these.

I guess our gubmint could take that as a message as well.

Last edited by spankys bbq; 02-23-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Zero resources should be placed at risk or expended trying to resuce those who place themselves in harm's way when there is a reasonable chance that they will end up badly. I'd extend that thinking to skiiers who go to avalanche zones to play.

My wife has family in Ukraine. We have visited there. Nothing on Earth would get me back there right now, and should I go I don't have any reasonable expectation that the US government should come rescue my sorry ass if something goes wrong when I was stupid to go there in the first place.

Kayla Mueller was an Islamic sympathizer. She went willingly. Common sense should have kept her out of the places she went to. What did she think would happen? And her family should not at this point be given any public stage on which to voice their angst. Their daughter died from sheer stupidity and any compassion or pity is misplaced.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Zero resources should be placed at risk or expended trying to resuce those who place themselves in harm's way when there is a reasonable chance that they will end up badly. I'd extend that thinking to skiiers who go to avalanche zones to play.

My wife has family in Ukraine. We have visited there. Nothing on Earth would get me back there right now, and should I go I don't have any reasonable expectation that the US government should come rescue my sorry ass if something goes wrong when I was stupid to go there in the first place.

Kayla Mueller was an Islamic sympathizer. She went willingly. Common sense should have kept her out of the places she went to. What did she think would happen? And her family should not at this point be given any public stage on which to voice their angst. Their daughter died from sheer stupidity and any compassion or pity is misplaced.
Never say never. You could end up in Ukraine yet.
you know nothing of what Kayla believed or not. All you have are second hand reports and rumors.

Just as you may, people do go willingly into war zones for all kinds of valid reasons.
Kayla Mueller, in one of the finest and oldest American traditions, went into potential danger to help people who were fleeing the war, and to help as best she could. She wasn't all alone there; she only joined other Americans who were already there, along with other good people from all over the world.

She just had the bad luck to be captured. The others she was with were not.
And in another fine old American tradition, President Obama did his best to rescue her. other presidents throughout our history have done exactly the same, over and over.

No rescue attempt comes with a guarantee. Kayla wasn't the first good American to give her life for others, and won't be the last. Her parents will never have her at rest back here in her homeland, and they will never have the opportunity to put flowers on her grave.

Where's your heart? Why would you rather spit on her memory than honor her service? Talk is cheap. Do you have the guts to do what Kayla did?

I know i don't, but I have the excuse of age. Even if I was young, I would not be eager to slap around Kayla's memory even if she was a sympathizer. Her bravery counts for more than my cowardice or yours put together.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 PM

963 posts, read 689,560 times
I believe the stupid among us deserve our help. Traitor, not so much. I guess we should decide which she is.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:48 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Look at the Wikipedia page about her. Her support of the Palestinians, and work for the International Solidarity Movement make me dislike her and feel that she was little more than a useful idiot for causes working against both freedom and US interests in the world. She put herself in danger for no useful reason and lost. Meh. Another twit like Rachel Corrie.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
I look at this statement made by her father:

Quote:
Carl Mueller also accused the Obama administration of putting its policy of not paying ransoms "in front of American citizens' lives, saying he had mixed feelings about the government's refusal to negotiate with terrorist groups who kidnapped foreigners. Other Western countries are known to have paid millions to secure the release of their nationals.
And I go, fine Carl Mueller had 18 months to come up with some uncertain dollar amount that ISIS never stated. What he failed to state those who were kidnapped in the past were not in war zones and were actually tourists. Kayla Mueller was not a tourist and had a laundry list of activist organizations that she belonged to. She put herself into danger.

And for those who want to read about what he was referencing:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/wo...as-patron.html

Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
If you put yourself knowingly in a place of danger (which right now is the Middle East), then IMO, you're on your own.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM

998 posts, read 665,172 times
If you venture to a country with no US representation via an embassy such as North Korea or Syria, then you're largely going to be on your own. That's just common sense. Otherwise, the US has a diplomatic responsibility to aid its citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies