Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times

Advertisements

The US is facing it's most heightened threat to national security that we have in some time, certainly since 9/11. It's not from nation states like Germany, Japan, or even Russia. But individuals that very often are not citizens of the US, yet are here illegally, on visa, etc.

The republicans should really craft their stance on immigration to incorporate national security. Even obama's somewhat passive stance on ISIS and Islamic terrorism - I really wouldn't have a problem if we locked down our borders. But why we continue to allow hundreds of thousands or millions of people from countries rampant with radical Islam, such as Somalia, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, is absolutely besides me.

I haven't heard one person ask Obama, or anyone else in gov't leadership, how this continued war with radical Islam influences our immigration policy. Mind boggling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The US is facing it's most heightened threat to national security that we have in some time, certainly since 9/11. It's not from nation states like Germany, Japan, or even Russia. But individuals that very often are not citizens of the US, yet are here illegally, on visa, etc.

The republicans should really craft their stance on immigration to incorporate national security. Even obama's somewhat passive stance on ISIS and Islamic terrorism - I really wouldn't have a problem if we locked down our borders. But why we continue to allow hundreds of thousands or millions of people from countries rampant with radical Islam, such as Somalia, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, is absolutely besides me.

I haven't heard one person ask Obama, or anyone else in gov't leadership, how this continued war with radical Islam influences our immigration policy. Mind boggling
"The US is facing it's most heightened threat to national security that we have in some time, certainly since 9/11. It's not from nation states like Germany, Japan, or even Russia. But individuals that very often are not citizens of the US, yet are here illegally, on visa, etc."

So you figure the best way to handle this "overextended visa thing" is to beat on the families of the DACA? That's going to solve the fear we have of an attack against our nation?
Mexicans have been crossing our borders for well over 150 years. They don't use visas like the terrorists who flew planes into the towers.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
GOP Plans Bill to Separate Obama Immigration Plan From Homeland Security Funding - WSJ

WASHINGTON—Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) said Monday he planned to bring up a bill targeting President Barack Obama ’s executive action on immigration, separating it from the Homeland Security Department funding Republicans have used as leverage in the immigration fight.

As the article describes, it's not clear how this move will be received, but I think this is smart for the Republicans. They would have been blamed. This poll puts blame on Republicans 53%, Obama 30%, both 13%.

Debate Obama on immigration directly. The GOP has an opportunity, here. Playing games with DHS is foolish.
The Repubs don't have ANY leverage if they have a separate bill. Ever heard of a Presidents veto? They don't have the 2/3 vote necessary to overcome the veto.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
I am somewhat amazed at how easy it is for Obama to play the GOP. It takes him 10 minutes to whip together an EO which will keep the GOP chicken-dancing for months.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
They are acting like responsible law makers.

harry reid, as usual, is muddying the waters.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times
Quote:
GOP Plans Bill to Separate Obama Immigration Plan From Homeland Security Funding - WSJ

WASHINGTON—Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) said Monday he planned to bring up a bill targeting President Barack Obama ’s executive action on immigration, separating it from the Homeland Security Department funding Republicans have used as leverage in the immigration fight.

As the article describes, it's not clear how this move will be received, but I think this is smart for the Republicans. They would have been blamed. This poll puts blame on Republicans 53%, Obama 30%, both 13%.

Debate Obama on immigration directly. The GOP has an opportunity, here. Playing games with DHS is foolish.
Interesting CNN Poll you posted. Turns out that the polling on Congress has moved UP 8 points since the GOP took over the Senate in the 2014 election. That's close to 40%. Also turns out that 59% of those Polled disagree with Obama's Immigration EO. I bet that the question about funding Homeland Security failed to include the words "Mandatory, Discretionary, Immigration Executive Order & Court Order.

According to the National Journal - most Americans are not paying any attention to the Homeland Security funding .... and why should they? Most of the funding for Homeland Security is Mandatory, the debate is about Discretionary Funding over an Amnesty EO that the majority disagree with. Not only that, but a Court has ruled against the Legality of that EO ...... no way should it be funded.

Why Congress Isn't That Worried About a DHS Shutdown? Because you're not.|National Journal 2/24/15

Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I kinda debated that. I'm not fan of Obamas actions on immigration. So is the republicans bill a immigration bill, or a anti-immigration bill? I went with anti-immigration, but really I wasn't sure how to word it. Shrug.
Really? And it is so simple. It is being anti-"illegal" immigration not anti-immigration.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,107,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The threat is worse than you think:

Quote:
At a news conference a few hours before McConnell spoke, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., urged Republicans to "fund our security and not to send a message to al-Shabab that we're going to shut down Homeland Security."
In a Bind, Republicans Offer Vote on Homeland Security Bill - ABC News

Really? Al Shabab in Somalia??

Mind boggling.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
My god, our legislators are worse than a two year old. Do your jobs! Flip a coin for crissake.
Yes, let's just flip a coin on our nation's future and the rule of law all in the name of "getting something done".

Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
The threat is worse than you think:

In a Bind, Republicans Offer Vote on Homeland Security Bill - ABC News

Really? Al Shabab in Somalia??

Mind boggling.
One can only chuckle. Boehner is a moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies