Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 05:58 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yep, he sure stuck it to them Koch Bros or which ever billionaire that would have profited from a new pipeline. Anything done would have benefited billionaires only.
Um... vetoing the pipeline benefits billionaires Buffett and Gates, as I already posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Speed limits on most freight lines is 70mph. Through the mountains its slower. Has to be to negotiate the grades with mile long consists even with distributed power.

Track geometry is set for those speeds and despite Amtrak running on those lines wanting higher speed limits, the freight lines who own the right-of-ways have little incentive to improve for higher speeds.

So I don't see higher speeds in the future and keep in mind, the higher the speed, the higher the odds for derailment.

Buffet is modernizing, using higher tensile steel for rails that last longer, newer more efficient and cleaner running power units and concrete ties.

What will raise the cost for shipping is Positive Train Control. It is supposed to make train operation more efficient and safer but I have mixed feelings about it. The FRA in 2010 mandated PTC implemented by this year. BNSF and UP and NS and CSX will be able to met the deadline but it is hugely expensive for Amtrak and its subsidiaries.

Positive train control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the cost of your goods will go up because the railroads will not absorb the cost of PTC.

A pipeline is cheaper and more efficient. And the idiot has vetoed it.
Honestly, it's all just an attack on the energy industry. The same idiots that pushed to halt the pipeline also are the same ones pushing to halt rail transport of oil as "too dangerous", "too polluting" and causing traffic delays and congestion to communities along it's route. The BNSF mainline runs through my area, through several cities in the area. Activists are up in arms trying to keep the rail lines from increasing train traffic through the area to haul evil oil. They are playing the same games with trains hauling coal. There was a big debate about a big coal transfer facility on the WA coast-I think the eco-nutz got it shut down.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
They only tax money that was wasted was all the studies and BS that was done by the EPA and the state department. XL was a privately funded project by a corporation. Once again..... bad information...

If you want to be on the opposing side of the issue fine..... but at least KNOW what your talking about.....
Privately funded you say, then that private corporation should go ahead and purchase all the needed land and build their own private pipeline without the need of public involvement.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Privately funded you say, then that private corporation should go ahead and purchase all the needed land and build their own private pipeline without the need of public involvement.
Believe me..they've been trying. And except for one international crossing that had to have Presidential approval... it's shovel ready. The pipe is racked, the contractors were chosen, hell.... I even had my RV spot rented. It's the public involvement egged on by the President and his democratic minions that are the problem. This debacle lies squarely on Obama's shoulders and as usual he screwed it up royally. Even if he didn't agree with the proposal he could have gotten to business and worked out compromises with everyone involved. But god knows, that would have cut into his golf game and the millions of campaign funds he raised by keeping both sides working against each other. He's laughing at both sides I'm sure. And too many of you fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Good, I am glad he vetoed it. I still find it funny that Republicans are so gullible with this. Any time oil is mention, they jump up and down like little children hearing the ice cream truck.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Keystone To Be Vetoed; Liberal Unions Outraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The idiot in the WH is sending a message that it is okay to send crude by rail which is inherently more dangerous than a pipeline.

As evidenced by this: Disaster in Quebec | Canada | Toronto Star

And this: Train derails, explodes in West Virginia; crude oil spills into river - CNN.com

So it is evident that the idiot is pandering to the extreme left without regard to the US economy which could benefit from the pipeline.

OTH, I stand to make an enormous amount of money from his projected veto so I may upgrade my plane to a jet. Why I carefully screen my conductors assigned to me to make sure they re not stoners. I don't want to end up like the above.

Obama to usher in new phase of presidency with promised Keystone veto | Fox News
Hate to bother you regarding minor details or mention your abusive use of non sequiturs, but where are "liberal unions" or "outrage" mentioned anywhere in your articles? Is this that NY Post/Fox News trick of using sensational headlines to direct you to an article that has nothing to do with said headlines?

So many jets...so little fuel.

And, oh my! We will lose 42 entire jobs? What a loss!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Believe me..they've been trying. And except for one international crossing that had to have Presidential approval... it's shovel ready. The pipe is racked, the contractors were chosen, hell.... I even had my RV spot rented. It's the public involvement egged on by the President and his democratic minions that are the problem. This debacle lies squarely on Obama's shoulders and as usual he screwed it up royally. Even if he didn't agree with the proposal he could have gotten to business and worked out compromises with everyone involved. But god knows, that would have cut into his golf game and the millions of campaign funds he raised by keeping both sides working against each other. He's laughing at both sides I'm sure. And too many of you fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
If the issue was just connecting a pipeline at the border, this wouldn't be an issue. Somehow I doubt that is the case because I doubt a private company has purchased the land needed to build such a pipeline and need the federal government to play the bully for them.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:50 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Good, I am glad he vetoed it. I still find it funny that Republicans are so gullible with this. Any time oil is mention, they jump up and down like little children hearing the ice cream truck.
I suppose you're right. Kind of like the Democrats jumping up and down like little children hearing the ice cream truck as illegals hop the border to get handouts compliments of American tax payers or all the other garbage that makes the Democrats drool.

Anyone up for a Neapolitan sandwich? I can hear "It's A Small World" playing.

-Cheers.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:00 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Land Owners Against TransCanada Pipeline Keystone XL Texas | Land Owners Against Trans Canada Pipeline

Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
If the issue was just connecting a pipeline at the border, this wouldn't be an issue. Somehow I doubt that is the case because I doubt a private company has purchased the land needed to build such a pipeline and need the federal government to play the bully for them.
Dude.... if your that clueless about the pipeline, why do you even respond. The ONLY reason that this line had to have presidential approval was because one new section of pipe would have gone underneath the border. One freaking 80 foot section of pipe! FERC approved this thing right off the bat. I've got 35+ years in this business so I think I do know a little bit more than you on this subject. Trying to prove to other's that you know what your talking about just because you read something about it in the silly papers is making so many here look foolish beyond belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies