Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,429,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How do you know it's purely psychological? We have documented evidence that shows transsexuality is likely caused by a cross-wiring of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalus in fetal development. All embryos start as female, so it shouldn't be that shocking that occasionally the body continues to transition to the other gender, but the brain doesn't develop the same way.
Coss-wiring is a defect. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,429,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Okay, so what if you are born neither XX or XY? All intersex people are born with a chromosome combinations other than XX or XY. (And being intersex occurs with a lot more frequency in transgender people than in non-transgender people.)
That's called a defect.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,752,166 times
I lived in Iowa City for about a decade, where there is actually discrimination protection for transgender people and nearly all employers include sex reassignment surgery (or whatever it is called now) in their insurance coverage.
As a result, transgender people moved to Iowa City and I met a lot more transgender people than the average person, including Deirdre McCloskey.

Once you talk to even a small number of transgender people about their lives, everything makes sense. The cases are so rare that they are all pretty unique from each other; and each case is examined in extensive detail by mental health professionals and doctors for years before reaching the point of actual surgery. They represent an extremely small portion of the population with a very massive and complicated problem and the difference in their lives is night and day with no real effect on anyone else except their immediate family.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's called a defect.
Great. So, do people with medical defects, especially one as significant as that, have a right to take action to correct them to best extent possible? Or shall we start banning prosthetic limbs and plastic surgery?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 AM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times
Here's the main thing I don't understand about transgenderism, and I would love to be enlightened.

Obviously not all women feel the same just because they are women; same for men. There is every degree of femininity and masculinity, nurturing spirit versus aggressiveness, affinity for fashion/makeup/flowers/home decorating versus affinity for hunting/sports/big trucks/war-type video games, etc. Every personality trait that can be found in some men can be found in some women, even though these traits may be thought of as "typically" male or female.

So how does anyone determine that they "feel" like the opposite gender? How can they even know what the opposite gender feels like? There is no one-size-fits-all description of what it "feels" like to be male or female; everyone is different, obviously.

So, if you are born with a penis, and believe you "feel like a woman," how do you know you're not actually just feeling like the man you were born to be?

I do hope my question makes sense, because I am asking it sincerely and respectfully.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's called a defect.
OK. So are people who have a defect just supposed to live with it? Why should they be prevented from taking advantage of all that modern medicine offers to help them live a more-or-less normal life?

Do you think diabetics should avoid insulin? Do you think people with cleft palates should not have corrective surgery? Do you think people with bipolar disorder should just lock themselves up?

Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,500,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It is my experience ,that if a personal obsess over something ,it eventually over takes them.
Hypochondriac obsesses over decease, and creates a real problem just to justify the fear, and or living in a caged lifestyle their bodies are not acquiring any immunities, which are naturally occurring in others due to exposure.
Transgenders and homosexuals obsess over sex for affection, and in some cases being simply defiant and finding enough support for it find justification .
Predominately though all about sex and self.
On the rare occasion I agree there are those being forced into being something opposite of their birth, parents do this and it's wrong.
Have a friend that was brought up in an all male environment and had a bad father, she though of herself as a male but in the last few years has accepted who she really is, and satisfied with that. A woman.
We are great friends and just friends no hanky panky going on. Once a week or so we visit and she tells me all about the drama in her life.
And interesting to note, she is frustrated with a few of her friends an family, not accepting that she is a different person than she was in the past, and still try to exploit the old abandoned lesbean side.
She has not abandoned all her friends and lovers of the past, but that are on a different understanding now.
At least most of them.
On the other hand I knew guys that were just plane abusive with sex and spent their time horsing around like homosexuals and doing it long enough talked/worked them selves into the lifestyle .
Had nothing to do with chemistry or birth or any thing else but irrisponsible selfish pleasure. But they used the chemistry and birth thing to justify them self.
I have known men that were raised by women,raised to be effeminate ,is that fair the them?
It is my experience that those that have cultured lying to get what they want, tend to be more suicidal.
Especially after the lies are no longer working.
I'm just calling it as I see it from this 64 year old's point of view.
Back that up with some data, please.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
That was my point. Thanks for reiterating it.
Yes and that point supported my (and others) positions, not yours.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Just because you cannot think beyond you gender dysphoria, don't project your biases on a Harvard trained Psychiatrist that HEADED the Psychiatric Dept. At Johns Hopkins.
I'm well aware of who he was. We have a doctor in Congress who believes the Earth is 6000 years old so guess what: credentials don't mean crap when it comes to some people and McHugh is one of them. He did nothing but project his religious views on his practice.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,631,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
If you are born with a penis, you are a man. Anything else is baloney.
Spoken like someone born in the 1700's..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies