Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Costs
Your costs will vary, depending on the living situation you choose. The following chart represents an estimate of typical expenses for a student living on campus:

Estimated annual costs for 2014-15
California Resident National and International Students
Tuition and Fees* $13,896 $36,774
Health Insurance $1,869 $1,869
Books and Supplies $1,560 $1,560
Room and Board ** $14,218 $14,218
Personal Expenses $1,522 $1,522
Transportation $620 $620
Total $33,685 $56,563

UC*Davis : Cost of Attendance

So obviously, out of state students are paying exactly the same as international students.

Shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
The biggest source of angst on the west coast is that they are flooding LA and the Bay Area, becoming citizens and.................OH NOES! They are voting Republican!
Well immigrants who are skilled and rich have a choice in political memberships. And the affluent ones would be more inclined to vote republican especially in southern California. In fact Chinese immigrants are quite split in partisanship. I think the Republican Party has an opportunity here in courting the affluent immigrants we get today. At least, at least these immigrants are more hardworking than the incompetent locals fed by the Democratic Party. If liberals want to welcome rich immigrants, that's great. I don't oppose that.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It's a weird thing to me that there is a hostile rejection of the idea that people should not feel alienated in their own homeland. If Chinese were resentful about Americans coming into their country, loudly speaking English, all the while flaunting a culture that was contrary to Chinese sentiments, would we say that they are out of line?

Being a good guest when you are in somebody else's country is not that unreasonable of an expectation. When I lived in Germany, I attempted to speak German whenever possible and to be respectful of my host country. I was not a citizen, but I understood that Germans found it rude when Americans did not even try to learn German. Many Germans spoke English, but they appreciated the fact that I spoke German (even poorly) when I interacted with them.
Agreed!!! Just look at Mexico. Mexico will not allow a foreigner to own real estate within 50 km of its coastline or 100 km from its borders. It is a country who protects its citizens (well at least its wealthy citizens) from foreigners owning big chinks of their country. I wish that the US was more like that. US has/had a horrible history of strong racism against races and ethnicities. It overshadows seemingly every discussion that involves those groups to this day.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No, my position is that it is ridiculous that the OP feels that Chinese immigrants are a threat to American liberty, values and culture. If you had been active in this thread, you will see that references to Communism, anchor babies, espionage and subterfuge abound simply because they're Chinese. That's just lazy stereotyping based on emotion and fear. Hence the xenophobia and racism charges. Are all Mexican immigrants drug runners for the cartel? Should America only accept immigrants/students from certain countries?

What you've posted has to do with behavior. The OP isn't saying the Chinese are obnoxious or rude because of their behavior as tourists. If that was what this thread was about, then fine, they're the new American overseas. He and others are saying because they have money, they're corrupt Commies. They MUST be. They're saying because they don't speak English (yet) that they'll never assimilate. They're actually complaining that they have TOO MUCH money when they get here, and that it must be to subvert our economy. In their mind, Chinese immigrants are bad, plain and simple. Tell me, how is this thinking NOT xenophobic and racist? To be discomforted, that's one thing. To actively make statements like they're making goes beyond discomfort. It's the language of fear and paranoia, the language of hate. They're broadly painting an entire group of people with one brush. It all comes off as just delusional, petty and dumb.
What you just described is what liberals do all the time. Stereotyping and not be ashamed of sweeping generalizations and distasteful jokes.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No, my position is that it is ridiculous that the OP feels that Chinese immigrants are a threat to American liberty, values and culture. If you had been active in this thread, you will see that references to Communism, anchor babies, espionage and subterfuge abound simply because they're Chinese. That's just lazy stereotyping based on emotion and fear. Hence the xenophobia and racism charges. Are all Mexican immigrants drug runners for the cartel? Should America only accept immigrants/students from certain countries?

What you've posted has to do with behavior. The OP isn't saying the Chinese are obnoxious or rude because of their behavior as tourists. If that was what this thread was about, then fine, they're the new American overseas. He and others are saying because they have money, they're corrupt Commies. They MUST be. They're saying because they don't speak English (yet) that they'll never assimilate. They're actually complaining that they have TOO MUCH money when they get here, and that it must be to subvert our economy. In their mind, Chinese immigrants are bad, plain and simple. Tell me, how is this thinking NOT xenophobic and racist? To be discomforted, that's one thing. To actively make statements like they're making goes beyond discomfort. It's the language of fear and paranoia, the language of hate. They're broadly painting an entire group of people with one brush. It all comes off as just delusional, petty and dumb.
Since when have liberals started embracing Rich affluent people? If you change the word Chinese and keep the rest of descriptions, liberals would be the first to condemn luxury car owners and accuse the rich of acting rude. The reason you jumped to put down the op and essentially defend the same behaviors liberal condemn is because of the factor of race. When a certain race enters the picture, bad behavior becomes good and embraceable. And that, everybody, is a form of racism. I think YOU are the one here who needs to scrutinize your own racism and hidden biases before you set out your clinched crusade against others with same old language. You are overreacting with a vibe of desperation because you feel a need to put down those you dislike or perceived to dislike and raise the behaviors by a different identity regardless of what behaviors. Your blind defense is nothing other than a hatred in reverse. You have a lot to educate yourself with.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Americans don't have a natural born right to the state universities. Nor are these universities even majority tax payer funded. Any foreign student has the same privilege as an American student. You make these Vaud points but liberals in general have blocked many proposals to increase immigration. Leaders from Silicon Valley want more h1b visas and yet there is a coalition of democrats and incompetent workers who want to block immigration so they they can get higher pay without having to earn it. I would go as far as to say that our visas are too limiting. A free market demands free migration of people. Do you see free migration into this country? We have too many rules that block business growth and tech innovation.
Taxpayers/State may not completely fund the state universities, but they still fund 25-40% of it. The state has a strong interest in educating its citizens for it to prosper. If they want to invite even more foreign students to come here, then charge them out the ying-yang. Those from rich families can obviously afford to pay whatever the price. Let them suffer some of the same price inflations that we Americans are facing.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why not speak English out in mainstream if you know how to? IMO, it's just plain rude and means they aren't fully assimilated into our country. Hispanics are among the worst offenders. They are usually bi-lingual but will choose Spanish nearly all the time. Many immigrants have lived in this country for decades and don't know how to speak English. I am not talking about fresh off the boat immigrants here. Knock of the xenophobia claims. It's ridiculous. All we want is for immigrants to assimilate into our country. A xenophobic has a fear of strangers. It's not about that at all it's about respect and assimilation. The early immigrants didn't have an adversion to speaking English. Today immigrants are encouraged to be different instead of assimilating. That does not make for a cohesive society out in mainstream.
As a minority person I certainly think that we should have a shared common ground because we are one society. crusading difference for the sake of it isn't the point of difference. Differences aren't here to be maximized for the sake of it. Minorities aren't as vicious as some liberals who think that they are entitled to police others and patronize minorities. This vicious vibe here says a lot about the bitterness in these people.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The two groups of "invaders" that stand out here in this part of the country are the Chinese and the Indians. Both are very similar, come here with a huge sense of entitlement, make no effort to integrate, do not seem to be interested in being around people of different backgrounds other than their own, speak their languages loudly in public and don't even see that as being rude.

Both cultures have no basic understanding of manners and courtesy.

The Indians here have these strange habit of going to the grocery store and taking the shopping cart home. So usually, in the areas near the university, you find shopping carts all over the place, a poor blind man was walking on one of the sidewalks and collided with a stack of shopping carts.
I can remember seeing many people taking groceries home in shopping carts as far back as the 60's when I was a little kid. None were Asian.

We used to race and crash the discarded carts in the alleys. Sometimes kids would be in those carts. Sometimes, not.

Some stores paid kids to round up carts and return them on Saturday. The more productive kids would use the carts to transport found soda pop bottles for 2-5 cents a piece. Easy to pick up a $1-2, a day.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You don't even attempt to address the general point of the thread. You just repeatedly try to poison the well of debate by calling positions that you don't agree with racist and xenophobic. I find that to be petty and dumb. You, like many others, simply feel that there are certain points of view that mustn't be allowed. There are legitimate feelings behind many of the views expressed about the Chinese and the feelings should not be dismissed simply because you feel the thoughts are forbidden.

Here's a exercise for you. Try not to use the words, "racist" or "xenophobic" in anymore of your replies and see if you can formulate persuasive arguments to convince others that you are correct.
Usually people like that are spoiled by the ability to win a conversation quickly without having to work for it. It is intellectual lazines aided by the weapons of mindless political correctness, whose inventor never intended it to be used this way. This is just one persons perspective attempting to bully and dominate a conversation. In so doing, it hilariously proves nothing along the lines of the merit of argument.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:32 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Taxpayers/State may not completely fund the state universities, but they still fund 25-40% of it. The state has a strong interest in educating its citizens for it to prosper. If they want to invite even more foreign students to come here, then charge them out the ying-yang. Those from rich families can obviously afford to pay whatever the price. Let them suffer some of the same price inflations that we Americans are facing.
Agreed. It's unfair to tax the people to fund the university system, then punish those same taxpayers by allowing foreign students to displace their own children. We are literally taxing Americans to subsidize foreigners' education. It defies all sense of fairness, yet some constantly champion that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies