Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

I have nothing against the foreigners themselves. With me, it has to do with the foreigners' squandering of resources and opportunities of natives in this country. Since 1970, our population has increased by over one third. We now number about 320 million people from 200 million (1970) with no end in sight. The Chinese and others are already crowding/outbidding southern californians from purchasing homes at the expense of native homebuyers. Universities are overrun with Chinese. Heck, nobody can even afford a Disneyworld ticket anymore because the foreigners will pay ANY PRICE. In certain parts of the country, there are also drought concerns and possibly food concerns as a result of prolonged drought. Infrastructure in some cities often can't support the added populations. Then, there are american jobs that are being given to the immigrants through HB-1 visas when americans still face challenging employment prospects. Now, they are even extending work visas to the H1-B spouses. Sorry, but I care for my own countrymen first. I don't care if they are black, white, Hispanic, Asian, gay, straight. No other country would allow immigrants to just take over like Obama is so hellbent on doing to this country. Ever read about the policies in singapore or mexico? If the Chinese are so rich and intelligent, then why can't they persuade their citizens to remain in their 1 BIllion country or build world class universities in their land? Build their own damm Disneyland while they're at it.
Agreed. Tho some people in this thread WILL still try to accuse you of being a white supremacist knuckledragger. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
This is a false stereotype. The reason why Asians "appear" to study harder than Americans is that many have to spend more time translating information into their native language to understand it. They spend more time studying just to keep up.
No that isn't true, many Americans of Asian descent that are fluent in English spend long hours studying also.

Or do you typically see any person of a different ethnicity as a perpetual foreigner?

Another stereotype that is often false.

I've known many people of ALL ethnicities that study hard and don't need translation.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
That law really should change. China has well over a billion ppl and could easily overpower US real estate markets as they are currently doing on the West coasts and East coasts.
The "law/s" haven't worked to keep out 11+ million Illegal aliens has it?

BTW Obama believes he can disregard any and all immigration laws lately!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Try living in the San Gabriel area where the OP lives!!! I worked in that area from 1992-2004. I'll tell you that he is "spot on". There are in fact "birthing homes" in San Marino and surrounding areas for those Chinese that will pay.
True, but Chinese "birthing homes" are a drop in the bucket compared to the Mexican Anchor baby industry.

You are comparing hundreds to literally millions there so your priorities are skewered.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 PM

493 posts, read 514,762 times
OP here.

Since I keep getting hounded with requests to define with American culture is, here's my answer.

As another poster said, American culture as an institution is hard to define with its multiple influences and origins.

Origins and influences from decades, centuries of immigration of peoples from all over - English, Germans, Irish, Italians, Greeks, Jews, Chinese, Mexicans, Poles, etc. of modest means, who felt entitled to nothing but freedom and opportunity to achieve the American dream. And they did not arrive on their boats to Ellis Island or San Francisco or elsewhere flashing their cash or buying America for themselves bit by bit. People did not take those boat voyages and then immediately go back to Italy, Ireland, Poland, or wherever once a U.S. citizen baby with papers in hand was born.

English may not be our official language, but it is nonetheless our national language. Language is an important, if not the most important, paramount institution of a culture. And if you disagree, ask a Quebecois, a Catalan, a Kurd, or a Belgian. People who choose not to participate in our culture by not speaking our language and not bothering to learn it are not part of of our culture, only because they choose not to become part of it.

People who only associate with their own are a slap in the face to what this country is about. We are the United States of America - associating only with your own and not attempting to associate with your neighbours is completely against what this country is about. And those people chose to move here, so they must make an effort to integrate into their new homeland. If I were to move to Mexico or China tomorrow, I would be expected to learn their cultural mores, no questions asked.

Like it or not, we are an English-speaking, unified culture with Anglo-Saxon roots and worldwide influences brought in by people who not only brought in their own culture, but integrated it with the local culture.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Tho some people in this thread WILL still try to accuse you of being a white supremacist knuckledragger. lol

hee-hee, I'm the Stockholm syndrome gay mexican-american variety.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:46 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
What? Your whole thread is one long rant against Chinese people being in America. How does that not qualify as racist and xenophobic? Classic conservative 'us' vs 'them' ideology. So they speak Mandarin? Big deal. English is not the de jure national language of this country. If they feel more comfortable speaking Mandarin in their communities, so be it. Sooner or later, they will 'assimilate' (whatever the hell that means) and speak English (the worldwide lingua franca) when need be, while still retaining their Chinese heritage and Mandarin/Cantonese/Chinese language. Every other ethnic group that has immigrated here, from Italians down on to Mexicans, etc. seems to have done the EXACT SAME THING. This rant just makes it seem like you don't like 'outsiders'. Like there are 'rules' to being an American.

Your tirade just makes you appear jealous that there is an immigrant group who is well off and doing well in this country. What's wrong with having cash, being successful and driving nice cars? Thought that was the American Dream? Would you prefer them NOT to have cash, not be successful and take public transportation? Then you would be complaining how they're a strain on resources and take away from 'real Americans'. What's the point of this thread? That the Chinese will eventually take over this country through subterfuge, anchor babies and wanton spending? Please tell me with a straight face how this sentiment isn't racist and xenophobic? This thinking is along the lines of the Yellow Peril, Japanese internment, etc. If your patience and tolerance are being tested, than either adapt or move somewhere else. There ARE places in this country with few Chinese, you know. There is no Chinese 'invasion'. There will be no 'dire consequences' from Chinese immigrants. The end.
Why do liberals/leftists have to screech "racism" and "xenophobia" just because a lot of people don't like what they like (or claim to like -- the liberals I know live in the most lily-white areas, but that's another story...)?

Hey, y'know what, thus far in this country we get to like what we like and dislike what we dislike, and I hope that continues in spite of the "you must love what I love or you're a racist" pc mentality.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
If they're being so loud and rude, why don't you do something about it? Go talk to an administrator, or *gasp*, actually see if one of those Commies/anchor babies/spies speaks English. Bet you one does. Tell them to turn it down. Problem solved.

As far as speaking a 'foreign' language in public, there's no problem with it whatsoever. Italians do it. Puerto Ricans do it. Is there something wrong with other languages? I'm bilingual myself, so I'm genuinely curious. You seem to be under this weird notion that English is under attack, which is laughable at best. I bet you those students at your state university know more English than you do Chinese...
When I worked on the ramp at United Airlines, a bunch of my co-workers were speaking Spanish. I had reason to think they were talking #### about me, but couldn't prove it.

Another time, I had a Puerto Rican lead whose English was just so-so. He was trying to get me to do something but couldn't explain it. He got angrier and angrier and his face turned purple. I finally told him "Learn English or get another job, you d--che!"

He actually had the nerve to take me to a supervisor, who blew him off but also "counseled" me for calling him a d--che.

Isn't multiculturalism wonderful?

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-27-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Demanding that immigrants only speak in English is xenophobic. Our country doesn't have a national language. Linguistic diversity is to be celebrated.
Not really.

Belgium and Canada have had serious problems because of linguistic diversity.

I admire people who are fluent in many languages. But any society must have one language that everyone understands in order for people to communicate with each other. That seems like a pretty simple concept to me.
Quote:
Do you hate accents as well? Should Bostonians have to conform to standardized newscaster speech?
The only people I know who hate accents are liberal/leftists who mock southern accents and use terms like "Murica" and "librul."
Quote:
And anchor babies? What an ugly, pejorative term.
No, it's an accurate term. The Chinese have babies here, then take them back to China. But those babies have U.S. citizenship and can get freebies here, having paid no taxes.
Quote:
But no, we're upset over the language on an internet browser? Give me a break.
When I travel abroad, I do everything I can not to offend my gracious hosts. What is wrong with expecting the same consideration from people who visit or immigrate to this country?

Quote:
If there's nothing xenophobic and racist about the sentiments in this thread, why don't you go tell 'them' exactly how you feel?
And, not speaking English, how would they understand what he was saying?
Quote:
America is a nation of immigrants. Always has been, always will be.
Not true. The founders were descended from settlers, not immigrants. Then there were the indigenous people and slaves who also wouldn't qualify as immigrants. I would guess at least 75 million Americans are descended from the original English settlers. And we had long periods of no immigration at all.
Quote:
You have no more 'right' to this country than they do.
Wrong.

An immigrant is a newbie. Common sense and morality both require that he or she adjust to the new country, not the other way around.

Only liberals could come up with such nonsense as telling native-born Americans -- whose families have been here for ten generations or more -- that they have no more right to this country than new immigrants do.

Absurd!
Quote:
How boring this country would be if everybody was the same.
If this country is boring, it's because it is increasingly full of people who have nothing in common with each other and little to say to each other outside of liberal "kumbaya" celebrations.

Europe, on the other hand, is a fascinating patchwork quilt of different cultures that preserve their cultural differences instead of diluting them into the mush we have here.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Lol, whatever happened to give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses?
That is a poem, not a law or anything people voted for. A nice, feel-good sentiment, but the reality is that virtually all countries want immigrants who assimilate and who can benefit them.

Just try immigrating to Europe without a huge bank account. Try immigrating to India without being Indian. Or Japan without being Japanese...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies