Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:32 AM

156 posts, read 119,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Rubio's not a rich white guy? Could have fooled me.
Well technically he's a rich hispanic guy. There are tons of white hispanic people though. You don't have to be brown to be hispanic, last I checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Rubio is Cuban, he won't score the Latino vote. Maybe the Cuban vote in Florida but not with Mexicans who make up the bulk of the Latino vote.
Very much this. The special immigration deference given to Cubans has created a lot of annimasity between them and Dominicans, mestizo-Mexicans, Guatemalans, Salvadorans, and... well, every other group from Latin America. Cuban /= Latino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex
Rubio's not a rich white guy? Could have fooled me.
That American approach to ethnicity is so strange. Had Rubia's parents immigrated from Spain (regardless of his skin tone) he would just be another white guy. But for some reason they come from Cuba and he's "hispanic, or Latino." I realize there are ethnic differences, but for how many generations are those that pronounced? Is his lifestyle that different from other upper-income south Floridians?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
Well technically he's a rich hispanic guy. There are tons of white hispanic people though. You don't have to be brown to be hispanic, last I checked.
LOL. I doubt that he could identify with the predominantly mestizo Latino person. We don't trust arrogant Cubans. Give us a candidate like Gov Susana Martinez (who is not ashamed of being Mex-American unlike the Nev Governor Sandoval) and we would listen.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 PM

156 posts, read 119,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
LOL. I doubt that he could identify with the predominantly mestizo Latino person. We don't trust arrogant Cubans. Give us a candidate like Gov Susana Martinez (who is not ashamed of being Mex-American unlike the Nev Governor Sandoval) and we would listen.
I guess it depends on the division between the two. I'm not hispanic personally so I won't pretend to understand that dynamic. I have an uncle (not by blood) that is Uruguayan. He's whiter than I am...blonde hair, blue eyes. His ancestry is Italian as are most other Uruguayans...I could see him not particularly identifying with Central or Latin American people. He's a bit of a snob to be honest.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
My personal, subjective perspective.. Rubio seems like a decent, moral guy. He's taken relatively conservative positions on some high-profile social issues.

But that said, I hope Republicans ultimately choose a candidate who has credibility as a strong border security hawk. Republicans shouldn't run a guy like Rubio who has conspired previously with Democrats on immigration 'reform' (translation- border subversion). I was reading that Rubio is now conceding (in a speech @ CPAC) that his support of bi-partisan immigration 'reform' was a mistake.. but I think that previous support is a profound disqualifier. Republicans should offer contrast to Democrats' de facto open borders policy.
Imo, if both parties become completely conjoined on open borders (& I understand they're already close to that..), every other contemporary political issue will become irrelevant.. bcuz thru demographics & lawlessness we will become a 3rd World Latin country facing solely 3rd world problems.

I say no on Rubio for prez.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
He sounds like an idiot who is being pushed forward to importance by the GOP. Zero charisma, Zero public speaking skills, Zero executive appearance. Nothing.

My god......you just described Barack Obama as well! He was an idiot pushed forward to importance by the Democrats and the fawning media. Zero charisma, zero public speaking skills without his trusty Teleprompter, and zero executive accomplishments.

Just an unaccomplished moron from IL, raised for a while by his whackjob "grandparents" after being abandoned by his single mother who had been inseminated by a married guy from Kenya.

Aren't U.S. politics wonderful? Our pathetic two-party system is about as reputable as reality TV. One one side, we have another Bush and a bunch of random morons. On the other side, we have another Clinton and a bunch of random morons (and because it's a Clinton, likely a bunch of dead bodies as well.)

Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Rubio is Cuban, he won't score the Latino vote. Maybe the Cuban vote in Florida but not with Mexicans who make up the bulk of the Latino vote.
Not with Mexicans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, or any other Hispanic group.

For all intents and purposes, Rubio may as well drop the whole Hispanic thing because it won't help him nationally.

He's just another Republican white guy.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
My god......you just described Barack Obama as well! He was an idiot pushed forward to importance by the Democrats and the fawning media. Zero charisma, zero public speaking skills without his trusty Teleprompter, and zero executive accomplishments.

Just an unaccomplished moron from IL, raised for a while by his whackjob "grandparents" after being abandoned by his single mother who had been inseminated by a married guy from Kenya.

Aren't U.S. politics wonderful? Our pathetic two-party system is about as reputable as reality TV. One one side, we have another Bush and a bunch of random morons. On the other side, we have another Clinton and a bunch of random morons (and because it's a Clinton, likely a bunch of dead bodies as well.)
Yeah, but the difference is that Obama could win. And he did...twice. Convincingly.

Rubio? No shot.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Rubio offers no hope

Hope, for what? Where was he when BUSH was decimating the hell out of this country? He's part of the problem.

Rubio has no more chance of winning the GOP nomination than TODD Palin. He has no more chance of winning the US presidency than Fidel Castro.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:18 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
My personal, subjective perspective.. Rubio seems like a decent, moral guy. He's taken relatively conservative positions on some high-profile social issues.

But that said, I hope Republicans ultimately choose a candidate who has credibility as a strong border security hawk. Republicans shouldn't run a guy like Rubio who has conspired previously with Democrats on immigration 'reform' (translation- border subversion). I was reading that Rubio is now conceding (in a speech @ CPAC) that his support of bi-partisan immigration 'reform' was a mistake.. but I think that previous support is a profound disqualifier. Republicans should offer contrast to Democrats' de facto open borders policy.
Imo, if both parties become completely conjoined on open borders (& I understand they're already close to that..), every other contemporary political issue will become irrelevant.. bcuz thru demographics & lawlessness we will become a 3rd World Latin country facing solely 3rd world problems.

I say no on Rubio for prez.
I agree with you for the most part. I wouldn't trust Rubio as you pointed out above as he is a flip flopper on illegal immigration. So are many other GOPers. I'd like to see a candidate run that has always opposed illegal immigration and amnesty, won't pander to Hispanics for votes on this issue and will put the American taxpayer/worker first. If this massive illegal immigration is allowed to continue we will become the country that you described. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies