Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
This entire post is complete garbage, but anyone that thinks Israel is an apartheid state is really drinking the kool aid.
It seems that you might not understand what apartheid is. Tell me this, does Israel treat the Arab citizens that inhabit the areas they occupy the same as the Jews with European heritage that live in the same area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 PM

549 posts, read 456,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It seems that you might not understand what apartheid is. Tell me this, does Israel treat the Arab citizens that inhabit the areas they occupy the same as the Jews with European heritage that live in the same area?
AFAIK, there're no laws in Israel that discriminate Arabs or any other group of citizens. Moreover, Arabs do not have to spend 3 years of their life in IDF, so this kind of discriminates the Jewish population.

Judging by the quality of life, Arabs are treated by Israel better than by most of their "own" countries.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 PM

14 posts, read 7,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Just curious, what's your first language?

Regarding your main point that Jewish culture had no effect on Western Civilization is a complete pile of bull manure. During the middle ages, Jews were so highly valued they were even asked to immigrate to countries as they were the majority of doctors, financiers, administrators, and merchants and were known to have a direct impact on improving kingdoms economies. There were parts of society that could not be filled by the feudal system. Jews had these roles. They also had trade networks that spanned Europe, the ME, North Africa, and Asia which had a direct impact on the history of western civ. If you think Jews had no effect on "western civilization" in places like Spain during the golden age, or Poland starting in the 16th century I don't know what the say.

Regarding your point #3 I'm glad to see you admit it's complete garbage and not even worth mentioning.
I never wrote that Jews had a NO effect on Western Civilization but LITTLE effect. It is not the same thing. Actually, Jews have been expelled from more or less every country in Europe since they have been in until the age of enlightenment. Jews were not allowed to live in England from 1290 until 1657. That is a period of 350 years. How can Jews have made any contribution to the wider English society when they didn’t live there? Yes, trade where going on but still.

You take Spain for example. There are two Golden Age. Spain was occupied by Islamic countries from 711 until 1492. This period is called Golden Age. There are also a second period after 1492 which is also called the Golden Age. The first occupation was supported by the Jewish community because Islamic rulers were much more tolerant than Catholics. Span was re-conquered in 1492. Jews was than expelled from Spain in 1492 following the Alhambra Decree. It was revoked in 1968 after the Second Vatican council. The Alhambra Decree followed the Spanish inquisition. Many Jews actually left Europe for the much more tolerant Ottoman Empire.

Alhambra Decree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spanish Inquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You mention Jewish involvement in Poland in the 16th. I wrote that the blossom of Jewish culture started with the Age of Enlightenment which started from 1650 until 1780. So, what Jews did or not did after 16th it was in the Age of Enlightenment. So I cannot see what you really oppose.

Frankly, I’m not very keen on Philo-Semitism nor do I understand why it is so common in United States to celebrate everything Jewish. Jews are like every other people – they are neither better nor worse than other people. Israel should not be treated better nor worse than other nations nor should it be able to avoid scrutiny. There are deep problems regarding human rights in Israel and they ought to be mentioned and discussed.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Tell us which Arab country treats its Jews better than Israel treats its Arabs, then we'll talk apartheid.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Tell us which Arab country treats its Jews better than Israel treats its Arabs, then we'll talk apartheid.
Good point! I'd compromise on an Arab country who treats anyone who is not muslim better than Israel treats Arabs.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:29 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Good point! I'd compromise on an Arab country who treats anyone who is not muslim better than Israel treats Arabs.
How about an Arab country whose Jewish population hasn't death-spiraled to almost zero in the past 50 years?

The Arab population of Israel in 1948 was 156,000, or about 20% of the population. Today it's 1.5M, about 20% of the population. They must be real gluttons for punishment, those poor Israeli Arabs!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
AFAIK, there're no laws in Israel that discriminate Arabs or any other group of citizens. Moreover, Arabs do not have to spend 3 years of their life in IDF, so this kind of discriminates the Jewish population.

Judging by the quality of life, Arabs are treated by Israel better than by most of their "own" countries.
Dude, one really quick Google search blows your assertion right out of the water. I would think that a prerequisite for discussing Israeli laws would actually be researching the topic before opening your mouth...

To your other point about quality of life! I don't usually entertain arguments or points developed using logical fallacies, but I'll give it a crack tonight. "Quality of life" has absolutely nothing to do with living under the laws of an apartheid state. Just because a group of people might have a "higher standard of living" somewhere where the laws are unjust, it doesn't have any bearing on making an unjust system just...

Israel: New Laws Marginalize Palestinian Arab Citizens | Human Rights Watch

Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Whether true or not, it is a moot point as Israel de facto has existed since May 15, 1948 and you can't just turn back the clock.
That's inapt even as a metaphor.

The Confederate States of America once existed; they don't any longer.
The State of Manchuria once existed; it doesn't any longer.
North and South Rhodesia once existed; they don't any longer.
Democratic Kampuchea once existed; it doesn't any longer.

Political forms shift continually and have nothing to do with any symbolism involving clocks.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Again, people tend to start typing without even understanding that the way Arabs are treated in other Arab countries has no relevance when discussing Israeli apartheid. None whatsoever...

Old 02-01-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Dude, one really quick Google search blows your assertion right out of the water. I would think that a prerequisite for discussing Israeli laws would actually be researching the topic before opening your mouth...

To your other point about quality of life! I don't usually entertain arguments or points developed using logical fallacies, but I'll give it a crack tonight. "Quality of life" has absolutely nothing to do with living under the laws of an apartheid state. Just because a group of people might have a "higher standard of living" somewhere where the laws are unjust, it doesn't have any bearing on making an unjust system just...

Israel: New Laws Marginalize Palestinian Arab Citizens | Human Rights Watch
So... selection comities in residential communities is your standard for apartheid. These comities exist in great many gated communities across the US. I guess we are an apartheid country too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies